Sunday, May 5, 2019

Bernard 2: Round 19




 Last round, the Bernard family celebrated New Years after being surprised by their suddenly high heating bills. Unfortunately, the week ended with grandma Jamaica finally passing away from old age, but not soon after the triplets discovered a litter of very thematically appropriate kittens behind the house.


Padme: Come on, Finn...we need to go now!

Where are we going? I just got here!

Pine: The kids have this project for school. Something about cultural awareness...

Padme: There's a new part of town now, and they want us to go learn about it. So we're going to the library there.

Finn: But I want to stay here and play with the kittens!



I don't blame you for that, Finn...but I guess school comes first. Come on, let's head down to this new library...


I thought you guys were supposed to be interviewing people...

Finn: Padme's doing that part. Then Rey writes it, and I type it up.

I guess that's one benefit of being a triplet...


Padme: Hey, mister! Wait!

Um, maybe you should find someone else to interview...this guy looks...busy.


Rey: Well? Who else did you find?

Padme: There was this one guy outside with this big hat...he was walking really funny. But when I tried to talk to him it was like he couldn't even hear me!

Snapple: Weird...

Finn: Yeah...

???: You kids don't know the half of it...


Padme: Who are you?

Yeah, um, I second that...

???: Huh? Who was that? It's one of them...

No, no...no them...I'm...

Padme: That's just the mysterious voice. She follows us around sometimes. My name's Padme, and these are my brother and sister and...

???: Well, I'll let you kids on a secret. Something's been going on around here...and it ain't good. 

Padme: Really? Like what?


???: Go see my friend Erwin. He runs the curio stand. He'll tell you all you need to know.

Padme: What's a curio stand?


From the looks of it a stand selling useless junk.

Erwin: Hey, what are you calling useless...wait, where did that voice come from? Oh, no...they've found me...

This is going to get really old really fast...

Padme: The lady at the library said you'd know about some weird stuff going on around here...

Erwin: Well, just look around. You ever seen purple glowing plants before?

Purple glowing...what?


Rey: Whoa! Cool!

Padme: We're going to have the best report ever!

Yeah, well, you may have to work on that later. It's your dad's birthday tonight.

Rey: Oh, yeah. Finn! Come on! It's time to go home!



Or, to a restaurant, it seems...um, was the outdoor table really the best choice in a thunderstorm?

Leia: It was the only one that was big enough.

Pine: Besides, free refills on drinks, right?

Leia: I'm glad you're embracing the old man humor, dear....so, kids. How's the report coming?

Padme: Awesome! We found out so much cool stuff!

Emerald: Really? Like what?

Padme: Like the people there walk all funny...and they don't hear you when you talk to them.

Rey: And the people that can hear you are all really afraid of the mysterious voice.

Padme: And there's glowing purple plants that...


Leia: Guys, I don't think your teacher wanted you to make up a story.

Finn: But we didn't make it up!

Rey: Honest, Mom! It all really happened!

Pine: We can discuss it later. Right now it's time for cake...waiter...


(sigh) So close...and yet so far.


Rey: You don't think our teacher will think we're lying too, do you?

Padme: Of course not. All 3 of us saw it!

I don't think that's going to be enough to convince your teacher, Padme.

Padme: Ok, well...then let's go take some pictures of those weird plants. If we have pictures she'll have to believe us!

Rey: Go back?

Padme: Sure! Where's Finn? He has to come too... 


Sorry, Finn...I guess kitten time will have to wait again.


Let's just make this quick, ok? We've got campfires to attend to...


Ok, guys? I don't want to go all parental here...actually, yes I do. This does not look like a safe place to be exploring...

Padme: Will you relax? We're just going to find some old junk to take with us to school for our report. Besides, there's nobody here...

How did you guys even get into this giant crater?


Finn: Look! Secret papers and stuff!

Padme: Finn, that's perfect! Come on, grab a bunch!


Rey: We're gonna have the best report in the whole class!

Finn: Maybe in the whole school!

Padme: Come on, let's go home. I'm getting hungry!

Rey: Yeah, let's go celebrate with some marshmallows!


Pine: So, where did you 3 disappear to today?

Padme: Nowhere..

Leia: Uh-huh...and how's that project coming along?

Rey: It's so good, Mom...we're definitely going to get an A+!


Pine: Ok, who's up for a good old fashioned campfire story? How about the tale of the ghost pirate?

Padme: Dad...

Rey: Ghost Pirate? Really?

Pine: Hey, you kids aren't the only ones who can make up scary stories...

Padme: It's not a story, Dad...it's...


And right on cue...ok, great Campfire night everyone...


Oh, that was quick...


And if one aged up...



There's 2...



And 3...happy birthday, droid cats!


So, Leia, can I fill you in on something?

Leia: I guess...but make it quick. I'm meeting my brothers later...

Really? It's been forever since the 4 of you got together. Where are you going?

Leia: There's this new bar...it's just down the road from that library the kids went to yesterday. We thought we'd check it out.

Mind if I tag along?

Leia: Sure...but what did you want to tell me?

Actually, I think it might be better saved until later...


Han: Man, this is great, isn't it? Just like old times.

Leia: Yeah...it's so nice to get together without having to constantly keep tabs on the kids. Speaking of, are Madrid and Crayola doing the same "cultural knowledge" assignment that my three are doing?

Luke: (sigh) Yes. We spent 3 hours on the internet the other night researching for it.

Leia: We should have done that. I sent mine to that library down the road and next thing you know they come home telling all these stories about purple glowing plants...

???: Excuse me, ma'am...



Leia: Excuse me?

???: Just wanted to let you lovely folks know that there's nothing to worry about. We have the entire area secure. 

Yeah, nothing alleviates worry more than a uniformed officer breaking into your conversation to assure you that there's nothing to worry about...

Leia: Um...great. Listen, I'm just going to go get some air...


Leia: Oh, um...sorry. I didn't see you there...


Now do you believe Padme?


Leia: Guys...something's up with this new part of town.

Han: I'll say...it's absolutely boiling out here.

Luke: Han, it's summer. It's boiling at home, too.

Leia: That's not what I meant! Look...I heard someone in there mention a lab...maybe we should go check it out.


You know, that sounds great and all but I really should go congratulate Pine on his promotion...oh, alright, fine...but this isn't going to end well...


Luke: Leia, do you really think we should be doing this?

Leia: Look at it this way, Luke. You wanted to solve a mystery as a detective, right? Well, here's your chance!

Luke: I also quit being a detective if you remember...


Leia: Huh...it's locked...

Oh, well...a locked door. Guess we're done here...

Leia: Oh, come on. There's got to be some way to open it.


Leia: Hmm...

Leia...are you thinking what I think you're thinking?




Leia: Ok, we've got a locked door and a bunch of random documents. Any ideas?

Poe: Do the documents tell us how to unlock the door?

Luke: Poe...

Poe: What? I was just asking...

Han: What about that guy with the weird hat? In the junk stand?

Poe: You would have made friends with him, wouldn't you?

Leia: What weird hat guy?

Han: Earlier, when you went out for air...I wandered over to that junk stand across from the bar. This guy in a weird hat kept going on and on about needing "evidence".

Leia: You think these are evidence? Evidence of what?

Evidence of you guys breaking and entering a lab...

Leia: (sigh) Well, it can't hurt to ask. But we'll have to come back tomorrow. I've got to go check in on the kids...

Yes, so sorry that being a parent has to interrupt all the spying...



Leia: So...how's that school project coming?

Padme: Ok. I'm drawing some pictures for our poster.

Leia: Can I see?

Padme: I thought you said it was just a made up story...

Leia: Well...um...I decided I believe you. After all, you kids have never lied before....now, can I see what you're drawing?

Padme: Ok...it's a picture of the weird plants.

Leia: Uh-huh...

Padme: But I don't know how to make them look all glow-y. Hey, do we have any glow in the dark crayons?

Leia: Um...let me go check...



 Pine: Hey, there you are! Did you hear?

Leia: Hear? Hear what?

Pine: About my promotion, silly! Wow, you're jumpy tonight. What's up?

Leia: Nothing, nothing. Um...congrats, though. Nice going...

Pine: I'm sorry we're going to have to move our date night, though.

Date night?

Pine: We usually do something together on our day off...but we won't have the same one anymore.

Leia: Oh, that's ok. Um...actually, my brothers and I are going to get together again tomorrow. So I...might be late getting home.

Pine: Oh...well, that's ok. Have fun...




Leia: Ok, Han. Got the key?

Han: Yup! You know, that guy isn't so bad once you get to know him...

Poe: Just open the door already...

Leia: Ok, here goes...


Leia: Whoa...

What?

Leia: I just got kind of...woozy...all of a sudden...

Don't you think that's a sign that you...


...And we're going downstairs anyway. Great...


...


Everyone: (cough)

Luke: What is this stuff?

Leia: I don't know, but I can hardly breathe. I need to...


Luke: Leia! Leia, get up...

Han: Is she...ok?


Define "Ok", Han...


Or on second thought...


Ok, that's it. Break in over! Everyone back outside...

Han: We must obey the Mother...

The what? (sigh) Look, you guys can call me whatever you want to if you just go back upstairs...


(Two Hours Later...)


Well, that was special. Everyone ok?

Leia: Yeah...I think so.

Luke: Man, that was...what was that?


I don't know, but I don't think it was good.

Leia: Oh, no...guys, we've got to fix this...

Poe: Why us? We don't even live in this part of town!

Yeah, I'm going to have to side with Poe on this one.

Leia: But we're the ones who opened that door. Besides, who's to say that stuff won't float over to our houses too? 

Luke: She has a point...but what are we supposed to do? We can't go any further into that lab with all that cloudy junk in the hallway.

Leia: Maybe there's a way we could...come on. Let's go back to the bar.


Leia: Hi there, um...we were just in the neighborhood and...well, this is such a lovely little community and...we were just wondering if you happened to know anything about the...weather?

???: The weather?

Leia: Yeah...like, has your sky always been green? And what exactly are these weird pink things...

???: I'm sorry, that is considered classified...wait...I know you! You're Leia Bernard, the artist, right?

Leia: Um...yes! Yes, I am.

???: Oh, I am such a fan of your work...listen, I can't tell you anything about what's going on but...here, take this.

Leia: What is it?

???: It's a scanner. It will help you detect clusters of plant spores on the ground...

Leia: What do plants have to do with...

???: Oh, no...I've already said too much...I better go. It was so great meeting you...

Leia: Always nice to meet a fan...


Well that was lucky.

Leia: Yeah...and that guy was right, too. There are a ton of little clusters all around these glowing plants. I think they have something to do with what's going on.

And the fact that they were glowing didn't tip you off to that?

Leia: I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with them...(sigh) Maybe there's something back at the lab that we didn't see.

Yes, let's go back to the creepy, abandoned possession lab! Great idea!

Leia: Hey, guys? Keep scanning, ok? I'll be right back...


Wait, where was this room before?

Leia: Just down the other hallway...

Wait, there was another hallway and you all chose to go into the one with the purple smoke?

Leia: Look, are you going to help or not?

I don't see how I can-I have no more idea of what's going on than you do.

Leia: Aren't you like the all-knowing narrator or something?

Not this time. Maybe spin those spore things in that analyzer station...

Leia: The what?

The thing that's glowing in red right in front of you...


Scientist: Oh...my....you're Leia Bernard, aren't you?

Leia: Um...yeah...hello.

Scientist: I love your paintings so much. I always wanted to try my hand at art, but my parents were so insistent that I be a scientist instead...

Leia: Wait...you're a scientist?

Scientist: Ugh, yes. And let me tell you-it's no picnic. Especially around here. I just know I'm so close to figuring out this infection, but...

Leia: Infection? Is that what's going on?

Scientist: Well, sure. But until we can put together a profile of symptoms...

Leia: Like...this?

Scientist: What the...where would you have...you know what? Never mind. I don't care...


Well, I guess now we go home and wait for the mail...

Leia: I guess so. Perfect timing, too. Tomorrow's a big day!


Rey: And you promise that we'll go right after school, right?

Leia: Yes, honey. I promise. As soon as you 3 get home it's right to the park.

The park? What for?


Oh, it's your birthday...

Leia: Not just mine. It's the triplets', too.


Oh, boy. Quadruple birthdays...


You know, usually I'm all about hanging out at the party but...let's just get this done. Happy birthday dear Leia...





Happy birthday dear Padme...


Huh...wasn't what I would have expected for her.


Happy birthday, dear Finn...


This one makes more sense...and lucky he rolled the "cat lover" trait.


Happy birthday dear Rey...


Huh...that might prove useful this round. Ok, party's over...let's head home..


Padme: Huh...

What?

Padme: I was checking the mail to see if any birthday presents showed up and there was this weird package addressed to Mom...

Well then maybe the best thing to do is to go give it...

Padme: Wait, there's something written on it here..."Dear Leia, here is your spore filter just as I promised. Good luck! Signed, your biggest fan...

Wow...I didn't realize your mom's paintings had developed such a following...

Padme: Wait a minute...spore filter...why would Mom need a...she's been investigating those plants!


Rey: Padme, you're crazy. Mom would never...

Padme: I'm telling you, it's true. All that time she was giving us a hard time about it being a made up story, she was going off and investigating it herself!

Rey: So, are you going to talk to her about it?

Padme: ...No. No, I'm not. Go upstairs and get Finn. It's time for a family meeting.


You know, typically family meetings involve the entire family...

Padme: Look, we were the ones who noticed all that weird stuff in the first place. It's only fair that we are the ones who get to figure out what it is.

Finn: I'm not sure this is a good idea...what if it's like...dangerous?

Rey: Yeah, besides...how are we going to get off school?

Well, technically you three don't have school tomorrow....for some reason the high school doesn't schedule your first day until the the day after you age up.

Padme: See? The mysterious voice is on my side!

Whoa, now...I didn't say...

Padme: So that settles it. Tomorrow morning we head down to that lab and see what's really going on!


Padme: Ok, I've got Mom's keycard, scanner thing, and this spore filter...

Finn: Won't she notice this stuff is gone?

Rey: She's got work today...maybe she won't.

Padme: Ok...here goes...


(sigh) Like Mother, like children...


Uh-huh...here we go...


Well, Rey and Padme seem ok, but...

Rey: Finn? Finn! Can he even hear me?

Padme: I don't know...

Rey: I thought you said you had a filter or something!

Padme: Well it's not like it came with any instructions! Ugh! Come on, let's go back to the main part of town. Maybe we'll find someone that can help us!


Erwin: Hey, I know you! You're that little kid that was running around here awhile back...

Padme: Not anymore! Listen, do you know anything about what's been going on around here? We were just over at the lab, and...

Erwin: Wait...you went to the lab?

Padme: Yeah...

Erwin: You can't just...go to the lab! They'll get you! And then they'll get me! I can't talk to you anymore...sorry! Shop's closed!

Yeah, I can see how this guy would get along with Uncle Han...

Erwin: Wait...Han's your uncle?

Padme: Yeah...he's my Mom's brother. Why?

Erwin: He's the only person in months who didn't look at me like I was crazy...wait...are you working with him?

Padme: Sort of...yeah.

Erwin: Ok, well...I guess I could give you this...

Padme: A...yellow suit?

Erwin: It's a hazmat suit. If you put that filter you've got over the face, it'll keep the...you know what's...in the...you know where... from infecting you.

Padme: Um...got it. Thanks...



Well, at least Finn seems better...

Padme: Sort of. He's still a little out of it.

Finn: Are we on Sixam?

Padme: (sigh) No, Finn...

Finn: Aww....

Padme: So, we've only got one of these suits...that means only one of us can go down there.

Probably for the best. I don't think Finn's really in any condition to help.

Rey: I'll go.

Padme: Are you sure?

Rey: Yeah, I'll go down, see what's going on, and then come back up and tell you.

Padme: Well...I guess you are the future botanist...


Rey: Well? How do I look?

Padme: (laughs) It's super flattering. But remember, you're just going to look. Don't touch anything!

Rey: Got it! You stay here with Finn. If he starts acting weird again get him outside as fast as you can.

Padme: Be careful, ok? Mysterious voice, you go with her.

Do I have to?


Well, the suit seems to be working...


Whoa...

Rey: Yeah, I know. Whatever they were doing down here was no joke...


Are those vines?

Rey: Looks like it...I think this is the last door...


What the...

Rey: Is that...a plant?

Looks like it...


Never seen a plant do that, though...so ,I'm going to vote for run!

Rey: Yeah, me too!


Rey: (panting) Guys...you won't believe what's down there...there's a giant plant and...it's like, alive!

Finn: All plants are alive...

Rey: I know, but...this one like, moves. And it...

Padme: Wait...what did I just hear?


Oh, great...I think we just made things worse.


Well...these are certainly bigger than before.

Padme: Yeah...and they're growing weird fruit, too. You think that's what's making everybody sick?

Rey: I don't know, maybe. But why would anyone eat something that grew on this thing?

Rey, I have seen people in this town willingly light fireworks indoors. Do you really need to ask that question?

Rey: Come on, let's take these back to the lab...


Finn: I still think we should go back and tell Mom what's really going on.

Padme: Are you crazy? She'll kill us! Besides, we can totally handle this on our own.

Finn: I'm the crazy one? You...

Rey: Will you two shut up? I'm trying to...well, I'm not sure what I'm trying to do but you're not helping!


Rey: So, do we really think this will work? I mean, I have no idea how that machine turned those fruits into this.

Padme: Only one way to find out. Everyone take a bottle and fan out...


Wait, I thought you said these were vaccines...

Padme: They are...oops! (sigh) Mysterious voice, you distracted me...Rey, try yours. See if it works.


Rey: Ok...here goes nothing...

???: (sputters) What the...what was that junk you just threw in my...hey, wait a minute...the voices are gone! I'm cured!

Rey: You're cured...we did it!

Well, not quite. You cured one person. But I think to really get rid of...whatever this is, you've got to take out that...thing in the basement.

Rey: But we only have 1 hazmat suit! I can't take that thing out alone...maybe Erwin has some extras lying around...


Uh-oh...this is awkward!

Leia: Rey?

Rey: Mom?

Both: What are you doing here?

Leia: I just needed to...pick up some things, that's all.

Rey: Like...a new keycard?

Leia: You...have my keycard? But how...

Rey: It's a long story...but Mom...

Leia: Don't "but Mom" me! You know better than to take other people's things! And I don't want you going anywhere near that lab...

Rey: Mom, listen! We found a cure!

Leia: You...what?

Rey: We found a cure! All 3 of us. Well, mostly me. But Finn and Padme helped too.

Leia: How?

Rey: To be honest, I'm still not sure how.

Leia: I can't decide whether I should be angry at you or proud of you...

Maybe save the emotional reflection for after we get rid of the giant angry plant?

Leia: The...what?

Oh, right. You never made it that far.

Rey: Come on, I'll fill you in on the way. We've got to get back to that lab!


Yeah, I guess if 3 teenagers are going to go fight a giant possessed flower, we should probably bring Mom along...

Leia: I can't believe I'm going along with this...

Padme: Do you want that flower gone or not? We're the only ones who have the cure! Speaking of...Rey, how much of this stuff do you have?

Rey: Don't worry, I've got plenty for everyone. Come on, I'll lead the way.


And I guess the spores in the hallway just...vanished since no one's wearing the hazmat suit.

Padme: Are we really about to do this?

Leia: Don't worry, guys...we've got this. It's just a plant.

Finn: Mom? Just in case...thanks for letting us keep the kittens...

Leia: Oh, Finn...it's going to be fine. You ready, mysterious voice?

You know, this is usually the time that I'd be moving on the the next house...

Everyone: What?

Ok, ok. I guess I can break protocol just this once.

Rey: All right...let's take this thing down!


What the actual...

Rey: Padme! Keep throwing vaccines at it from behind! Finn, Mom...you guys take down the minions...

Minions?


There are minions?

Leia: You stay away from my kids!


Uh-oh...looks like Finn wasn't so lucky...

Leia: Finn...Finn, honey, get up...is he ok?

I think so...I don't see Grimmy anywhere...

Padme: Come on, guys! Just a little more!



Rey: We did it! 

Whew! Well...that was certainly different...


Oh, good. Let's bring a piece of it home...


Leia: Finn! You're ok!

Finn: Yeah...thanks, Mom!

Leia: Come on, guys...let's go home.


Pine: There you are! Where have you guys been?

Leia: Oh, you know...nowhere.


And finally the poor cats get some attention! Well, this has certainly been a ride. But I think it's time for me to be on my way now. Hopefully next round won't be quite  as eventful!




A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Wow, that was quite a week! I had a really hard time deciding which family would end up taking on Strangerville, but eventually I settled on the Bernards. And I'm glad I got to do half with Leia and her siblings and half with the triplets. (It also took some of the sting out of the triplets growing up.) With regards to Strangerville itself, I obviously had to omit some steps that were more repetitive (like creating all the vaccines that are needed to actually fight the Mother). But in general, I had a really good time taking these guys through the story. My main source of frustration was sort of self-imposed; if I'd had more than 1 week to spend with the family, then all the back and forth to the lab wouldn't have mattered. But trying to complete the story (with two birthdays and a holiday in the mix as well) in only 7 Sim days was really, really stressful. But again, that's something I chose. And I promise, next round we will see more of the cats!





No comments:

Post a Comment