Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Palmer 3: Round 21

 


Last round, the Palmer family received a letter informing them of a new opportunity on the horizon-college! With two teenage daughters, the family's conversations quickly shifted to applications and scholarships. Starburst seemed excited at the prospect, but her older sister Nestle wasn't quite as enthusiastic.


Hi, Nestle!

Nestle: Huh? Oh, hey Mysterious Voice.

What are you working on?

Nestle: (sigh) These stupid application things. 


Candy: What do you mean you haven't submitted them yet?

Nestle: Well, I would have...but some people keep making me try for more and more scholarships first.

Riley: I just want to make sure you two are taking advantage of everything you can...

Candy: You really have to get those things in soon, Nestle. You're running out of time.

Nestle: Will you two relax already?


I mean, they do have a point...your birthday's coming up quick.


Looks like we're heading to the flea market?

Nestle: Yeah, I guess she wants to take me as a birthday present or whatever.

You don't seem that excited...

Nestle: Well, my mom's coming too...and I know she's just going to talk about college stuff the whole time.


Riley: Ok, we're going to need a lamp, a dresser, a desk chair...

Jessie: Oh, come on Riley. Put the list away. Let's just see what we find...


Looks like Nestle's found something not on the list already...

Maxwell Marshall: Hey there...can I interest you in some snow globes?

Nestle: No, thank you...


Maxwell Marshall: Are you sure? I've got some really nice ones over here...




Nestle: Well, yeah, but..not for too much longer! 


Candy: So how was the flea market?

Nestle: Fine, I guess...

Jessie: Who was that cute guy I saw you talking to?

Nestle: Aunt Jessie....

Riley: What cute guy?

Nestle: He was just one of the vendors...

Candy: What's his name?

Nestle: Maxwell, I think...

Marshall.

Nestle: Right, Marshall....hey, look! Here's the waiter with the cake!


Happy birthday, dear Nestle...


Ok, nothing out of the ordinary...


And she looks...exactly the same.


Riley: You're up already? I thought you'd want to sleep in on your first day with no school.

Nestle: Yeah, well...I wanted to get a workout in. Is it ok if I go out to the beach later?

Candy: Hey, you're a young adult now...

Riley: Is Maxwell coming with you?

Nestle: It's Marshall...and yes, he's meeting me there.

Candy: You still haven't told us anything about this guy.

Nestle: I don't know...he's just...normal. Mysterious voice, back me up.

Yeah, he's pretty normal, I guess...


Well, aside from wearing a jacket at the beach...


Seems like they're getting along, though.


Marshall: This was pretty fun...you want to grab a bite at the bar?

Nestle: Sorry, I can't. I have to get home before the mail comes in so I can try to intercept my college letter...


Not that you have anything to hide...nice job, Nestle...


Riley: Congratulations, honey. I knew you could do it.

Nestle: Thanks. You know, I'm actually kind of excited about this college thing.

Glad to see you're finally coming around.


Starburst: It's not fair. I got my application in at the same time as you! Where's my letter?

I'm sure it will be here soon.


Maybe distract yourself by baking your mom a birthday cake?


Oh, there we go. Nice job, Starburst.


Now then...Happy birthday, dear Riley...





You ok?

Riley: Yeah...I guess.


Let's hope she's got an age-appropriate swimsuit somewhere.


Harbor: So when's your boyfriend coming?

Nestle: He'll be here later. He's just running late or something...

Kumquat: I bet she doesn't even have a boyfriend. She probably made him up!


Nestle: Marshall! You made it!

Marshall: Sorry I'm late...work ran long.

Nestle: That's ok...you're just in time for the fireworks...

Marshall: Fireworks? Here? Is that safe?

Nestle: Eh, my mom says she knows what she's doing.


Let's hope so...that's a lot of fireworks...








And it looks like we have one more celebration before I head out...


Happy birthday, dear Starburst...


Yeah, that makes sense...


Ok, well, with that out of the way I think it's time to get both of you packed up for university. Enjoy your time as empty nesters, Riley and Candy. I'll see you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: The Class of Round 21 is slowly filling up! I'm so glad I opted to send Nestle to the flea market-I was having the hardest time finding a match for her. She and Marshall make a really cute couple-even if I got his name wrong for half the entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment