Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Palmer 1: Round 21


Last round, both Flick and Hank Palmer prepared to graduate high school and begin college. Part of that preparation involved cementing their romantic relationships with Sunshine Flenderson and Sprite Lytle, respectively. Meanwhile, Dory aged up and joined her brother and cousin in high school.


Hi, guys!

Merida: Oh, hi mysterious voice.

Anything exciting going on around here?


Merida: Not much...just Candy Fest at the end of the week.

Something tells me you're not too excited...

Merida: Well, you know...now that the boys are all grown up and moved out and Dory's in high school...it's just not what it used to be.


Dory: (sigh) I guess this is the last time I'll have to clean this out...

Don't tell me you're actually missing the raccoon...

Dory: Well...not exactly. But I was kind of used to having an animal around.

Huh...you know, maybe there's something I can do about that...


Hey, Eve, I was thinking...you know, Dory was kind of attached to Rocket, and...

Eve: Way ahead of you. I'm booking an adoption appointment for this afternoon.

Oh...well, good. Carry on, then.


And I guess we're going with a dog this time...




Welcome to the family, Kona..


And I guess we're celebrating by...beating up the adoption guy?

Eve: Well, it's...

Wait, don't tell me...neighborhood action plan?

Eve: Yeah...I don't see how fighting won out of everything but somehow it did.


Well, just get it over with before we have elders in the house. I don't want to know how that would end.


Oh, hey Madison...

Madison: Yeah, hi Mysterious Voice. So anyway, did I see you having lunch with Ryder today?

Wait, who's Ryder?

Madison: The guy Dory has a crush on...

Dory: Madison! I do not have a crush on him! I was just helping him with his homework...

Madison: Sure you were...


Oops...guess I got too wrapped up in the teenage drama.


Sorry, Brett...

Brett: Eh, it's ok.


Let's hope I can be more attentive for Josiah's...


Eve: Are you just randomly drinking a glass of milk?

Brett: Yeah. I'm old now. It's what old people do.

Eve: Where did you hear that?

Brett: I don't know...some TV program.

Eve: TV program...you know what? Forget it. I actually wanted to talk to you about something. You know how we were thinking about doing something different for Candy Fest this year?

Brett: Yeah...

Eve: Well, Merida and I were thinking we'd go rent one of those new cabins that just opened up in the mountains. We could even invite the boys along.

Brett: Well...I guess that sounds ok...better than trying to throw some fancy shindig around here.

Eve: Shindig?

Brett: What? That's how you're supposed to talk when you get old.


Speaking of getting older...That was fast...


Even though he doesn't seem much bigger...


Hey, guys...you all ready for your big trip?

Flick: Yup! All packed and ready! This is going to be great.

Dory: Yeah...you know we're bringing Kona, right? 

Hank: Relax, Sprite said she didn't mind watching Rocket for a few days.

Really?

Hank: Well...she didn't say that she didn't want to watch Rocket...

???: Dory?


Dory: Ryder! What are you doing here?

Ahh, so this is the famous Ryder...

Ryder: Famous...wait, who said that?

Dory: Just ignore her...

Ryder: Um, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight? I know your family's going away for the long weekend, and...

Dory: Um...I'd love to, Ryder but...see, it's my uncle's birthday, and...

Oh, right! The birthday! Let me just get someone started on the cake, and...


(sigh) So close...


Sorry, Josiah.

Josiah: That's ok. At least I get a few hours off work.


Actually, it looks like you'll get a few days. At least we can celebrate after the fact with a vacation. 


With some impressive accommodations, too.


Hank: Couldn't you have warned us about the snow?

Eve: I told you we were going to the mountains...look, even Kona likes it.

Flick: That's because he's covered in fur...

Dory:  Come on, guys...it's not that bad. Let's go explore...


Um...what are you doing?

Dory: I rented a snowboard...after that, I have no idea. The guy said it was easy, though...


Dory: Hey, this is actually kind of fun!

Just don't hurt yourself...


See, Eve and Merida have the right idea. Sledding is much safer.


Although it looks like the hot spring is the favorite activity so far...


If you can classify this as an activity, that is.


Merida: You ready for the hike today, boy?

We're going on a hike?

Merida: Yeah. There's supposed to be this ancient temple down the mountain a bit...

Brett: Down the mountain as in...warmer?

Merida: (sigh) Yes, dear.

Did nobody understand what "go to the mountains" meant? Mountains are cold...


Brett: Ahh, see, this is better. Why couldn't we have rented a place down here?

Hank: Yeah, I'm with Dad on this one...


Flick: Can...you...guys...slow...down...a...bit...

Josiah: What's the matter, Flick? Having a hard time keeping up with your old man?


Hank: This is it? We came all this way to see a bunch of...wait, what are these?

Eve: It says they're wish tags...I guess we write down our wishes and hang them up?

Flick: And that does...what, exactly?

Dory: It helps the wish come true...

Hank: Oh, come on...there's no way writing a wish on one of those tags makes it come true.


Merida: Well, it can't hurt, right?


Brett: I think we're finally tiring Kona out...

Hank: I hope so. That dog has woken me up every night since we've been here.

Merida: Come on, guys. Let's head back to the cabin and start the big celebration.

Celebration?



Ahh, I see. At least there won't be as many distractions up here.


Dory: Huh...what is that thing?

I don't know...you didn't wish for an unidentified floating spirit back at the wish board, did you?

Dory: No...hey, Kona! Go get it, boy!


Hmm...maybe don't send your dog to attack the Forest Spirit, Dory...


Ok, let's get this on the road before the spirits start their revenge. Happy birthday, dear Eve...





And if one triplet ages up, then the other one does too. Happy birthday, dear Merida...





You guys ok?

Merida: Yeah...I suddenly understand what everyone was talking about with the cold, though.


Dory: Shh...Kona, don't wake anyone up!

Where are you going?

Dory: I wanted to get a bit more snowboarding in before we go home. 


Wow, you're actually getting pretty good. I guess I didn't have to worry about you after all.


This, however...


Oh, good. Let's send both old men down the mountain on skis...


See, this seems like a much safer way to end the trip...


Prettier, too. But as nice as it is, I think I have to be on my way now. I'll catch all of you back at home next round!


 A Message From the Mysterious Voice: And Snow Escape arrives! I'm glad it did, too, because otherwise, this would have been an even more challenging lot to write. I don't know what it is about these guys, but they never seem to have much going on. I was expecting Dory to grow to a YA this round, but she actually has a few more days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment