Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Bernard 3: Round 17



Last round need unexpectedly for the Bernards. While their youngest daughter, Corellia, expressed a desire to go and find her birth family, their son Hosnian began spending a lot of time with his girlfriend Emerald after her father passed away. At the end of the week, he came to his parents with a surprising proposition-moving in with Emerald before graduating from high school. Though Aruba and Trout had their reservations about the idea, they eventually agreed leaving only Corellia at home.


Hey, guys...are you eating popcorn for breakfast?

Aruba: We have to get rid of it somehow.

That's...that's not the same popcorn you made back when they were toddlers, was it?

Aruba: Yeah...you'd think it would have gone bad by now.

Well...anyway, what's on the agenda for today?

Aruba: Well, Trout and I are just hanging around the house but Cori's heading out.

Corellia: I figured I'd get more violin practice in if I head down to a cafe or something.

Mind if I tag along...not that watching your mom and dad write and program isn't fascinating,...

Corellia: Sure, I guess.


Violin practice, huh?

Corellia: I swear, if you tell them anything...

Austen: What was that?

Corellia: Nothing, nothing...


Austen: It's great to see you again.

Corellia: I know. I hated having to lie to get out of the house, but...

Austen: I know. Mine think I'm at the library.

Corellia: So did you find anything?

Austen: No...I searched every database I could think of, and nothing about either one of us.

Is this the birth parents thing again?

Austen: Did you just hear something?

Corellia: Ugh...well, I guess you were going to meet her sooner or later. Austen, meet the mysterious voice.

Hey there, Austen...nice to meet you.

Austen: Um...likewise, I think. So...how long has the disembodied voice been following you around?

Corellia: Eh, she kind of comes and goes. You'll get used to her.

You still haven't answered my question...

Corellia: (sigh) Austen's adopted too, ok? I figured if we both look we might be able to find something about our parents.

Speaking of your parents...I should probably go check on them....



Trout: She's been gone for hours now...

Aruba: Will you relax?

Trout: How long can someone practice the violin?




Trout: So...that was quite the violin practice you had this afternoon.

Corellia: Yeah...

Trout: I'm just saying...I've never known anyone who could practice the violin for that long...

Corellia: Yeah...so?

Did I just hear someone knock?

Corellia: Oh, that's for me...


Oh, look who's here...

Corellia: What? We're just working on our science project.


Corellia: Thanks. I couldn't have finished this without you.

Austen: No problem.

Corellia: So...anything yet?

Austen: No...I swear, there's no records department in this town...

Corellia: You'd think that if you were going to give someone's baby to another family you'd write down whose kid they were!


Speaking of babies...feel like meeting your niece? 

Corellia: (sigh) I guess...

You don't seem that excited...


See? Jade's happy to see you.

Corellia: It's not Jade, it's...


Hosnian: Hey, stranger...long time no see.

Corellia: Yeah...

Hosnian: So how are things at home? Mom and Dad ok?

Corellia: Yeah...they're fine. (whispers) Not that you care...

Hosnian: What?

Corellia: Nothing...look, I better get going. School night, you know.

Hosnian: Right...school night.


Trout: I'm telling you, something is going on here!

Aruba: Trout, she had a boy come over for one afternoon. And they did homework together. 

Trout: No...there's something else. I  mean, who even was that guy? Had you ever seen him before?

Aruba: No, but then I don't make a habit of hanging around the high school and filling out profiles on all of our daughter's classmates.


Trout: So, Cori...this Austen guy...you've been spending a lot of time with him, huh?

Corellia: Dad...

Trout: I just want to know something about him...


Well, he's asking her out on a date right now. Does that count?

Trout: Ok, ok...we'll talk later.


Austen: So, I think I may have found a lead...

Corellia: Really?

Austen: Yup. I managed to get into the database of records down at the police station.

Corellia: The police station? They just let you look through the records like that?

Given what I've seen of the police force through your cousin Luke...that doesn't surprise me.

Austen: Yeah...anyway, I found all these reports of kids being taken away by social workers and stuff. I figure if I just look through them enough, I'm bound to find ones that match both of us.

Corellia: So...my parents might still be alive!

Austen: Yup.

Corellia: I could kiss you right now...


And I guess she decided to follow that impulse. Um...I hate to interrupt this moment, but I really think you should be getting home...

Corellia: Oh, come on. It's not even that late. You're even worse than my dad.

Yeah, about him...


Uh-oh...looks like we're too late.


I should have been ready for this after Salmon...





Corellia: Dad?


Goodbye, Trout...


Yeah, just make yourself at home there, Grimmy...


Although maybe it's a good thing he stuck around...








Corellia: Mom...Mom, get up...


Corellia: Wait...you can't do this! I'm not even out of high school yet! I'm just a kid!

I don't think Grimmy's feeling especially sympathetic today.


Aww, Cori...I'm so sorry...

Corellia: ...What am I going to do?

Maybe you should call someone?

Corellia: Yeah...


Not exactly who I meant.

Austen: I'm sorry, honey...but look at it this way. It'll probably be easier now, you know...to keep searching.

Corellia: What?

Yeah...what she said...


Corellia: What is that supposed to mean?

Austen: Well...they weren't your real parents, right? And didn't they keep stopping you from looking?

Dude...not the time...

Austen: Nobody asked you, ok?

Corellia: No, she's right! What the hell, Austen? My parents just died...I think you should go.

Austen: But I thought...

Corellia: Now!

Austen: Ok, ok...I'll go. Just...call me when you're ready.


Maybe a reunion with another old friend might help? Although, the space-themed pizza restaurant seems like an odd choice.

Corellia: She was always saying she'd take us there as kids...we never did get to go.


Faith: How are you holding up, honey?

Corellia: Ok, I guess...

Faith: You always were a terrible liar, you know.


Faith: So, who's this Austen character?

Corellia: Oh, he was just this guy...

Faith: Was?

Corellia: Well...I don't know if he and I are a thing anymore. I mean, can you believe it? They hadn't even been gone 24 hours and he starts talking about how much easier it will be to find my birth family.


Faith: Sounds like he isn't exactly the most sympathetic guy.

Corellia: Yeah, but...he gets it, you know? The whole being adopted thing.

Faith: I still don't understand what that is such a big deal to you.

Corellia: I just want to know! And the harder it gets to find out, the more I want to find it out.

Faith: (laughs) Always so stubborn...say, how about some ice cream? Strawberry still your favorite?

Corellia: How do you remember that?

Faith: I have my ways.


Faith: Better?

Corellia: (sigh) A little...

Faith: Oh, sweetie...I wish ice cream was enough. 

Corellia: Me too...it was really great to see you again, though.

Faith: Anytime you need me, honey. Give me a call. I won't even charge you for it.


And the round of badly-timed birthdays continues...


Corellia: Happy birthday to me, I guess...

Did Alderaan and Hosnian...

Corellia: I didn't exactly ask them...it would have felt too weird.


Kind of ironic that she ended up with emotional control...


Oh, goody. Look who's back.

Austen: Look, I know you may not want to see me yet...

Corellia: You think? What are you even doing here?

Austen: I wanted to come wish you a happy birthday.


Austen: Look, I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't know your parents for that long, but...I could see that they loved you. And you loved them.

Corellia: I did...I still do. But...I still want to know where I really came from.

Austen: Of course you do. Everyone deserves to know that...hey, you know...it's my birthday too.

Corellia: Really? I haven't eaten the cake yet...


All right, let's get this done...





Austen: So...now that we're both graduated...how about I stick around?

Yup, here we go...

Corelila: What are you talking about?


Austen: No, really! I even got a job lined up already!

Corellia: Well, I guess it would be nice to have someone else around...


Corellia: Was that all your stuff?

Austen: Yeah. I travel pretty light. So, what do you think? Does it feel like "ours" yet?

Corellia: Well, almost...

Austen: What are you talking about?

Corellia: I think it still feels a little too quiet around here...

Cori, are you sure this is the best time to...


Oh...you were talking about adopting a dog.

Corellia: Of course...what did you think we were talking about?

Um...


Aww, he's cute...what's his name?


Corellia: We're calling him Falcon.

Cute.


Corellia: Brothers?

Austen: Yeah. 5 of them. 

Corellia: And all 6 of you are adopted?

 Austen: Yup. And not one of us knows where we really came from.

Corellia: Wow...

(barking)

Corellia: I think Falcon needs to go out.


Corellia: Come on, buddy...let's go for a walk...you want to come?

Actually, I think I'll hang around here...


(clears throat)

Austen: Do you mind? I'm kind of busy here.

Yeah, I can see you're pretty swamped. Um...listen, I can't help but notice that you never mentioned this army of siblings before.

Austen: Well sorry for not giving you my entire life story...now if you'll excuse me, I have company coming over.


Austen: Hey, Will. What's up, little brother?

This...is your brother.

Austen: Yeah...well, foster brother, if you want to get technical.

Uh-huh...

Will: Cool! A central speaker system!

Not exactly, Will...



Corellia: Um, Austen? Who's that?

Austen: Oh, this is Will. He's one of my brothers.

Corellia: Oh...

Austen: Yeah, things were getting kind of rough back at our house so I told him he could crash here...that's ok, right?

Corellia: Um...sure. As long as it's only for a couple of days.

Austen: I promise, two, three days tops.

Well as much as I'd like to stick around and make sure of that, I've got to be on my way. See you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Another sad one, I know. Unfortunately Aruba didn't share her sister's Active trait, so she didn't get the extra time Jamaica did. I'm so glad they extended the YA and adult life stages, because having all these orphaned teenagers is getting really sad. Faith really did call up Corellia and ask her out to dinner, which I thought was so sweet. As for Austen...I'll just say that there is a reason these two didn't get engaged immediately like all the other couples do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment