Friday, May 25, 2018

Doe 1: Round 17




Last round, Garnet found that his habit of “borrowing” items didn’t exactly make him the most popular kid in high school. Not that this deterred him, as he kept coming home with unexpected surprises in his backpack. His mother Christin knew something was up, while his father Mackerel insisted everything was just fine. Only his sister Amethyst knew the truth, and unfortunately her brother blackmailed her into keeping it a secret...



Morning, guys….


Christin: Oh, hello mysterious voice.

Am I interrupting anything?

Garnet: Yeah…me getting chewed out again….

Christin: Garnet and I were just having a little talk about responsibility before he heads downtown...

Oh, where are we going?

Garnet: We? Oh, no…you’re coming too, aren’t you?

Christin: Either she does or I will...

Garnet: Ugh…fine. Come on...


Ahh, I see...

Haiti: Oh, great…you brought the voice along.

Garnet: My mom made me...

Nice to see you too, Haiti. So, what are we up to today?

Haiti: I thought we’d do a little shopping...


Shopping...right. Um, isn't this store a little pricy for a couple of teenagers?

Haiti: Yeah...but Garnet knows a few tricks...

That's what I was afraid of...

Haiti: Hey, just be cool, ok? Garnet, I'll go distract the salesperson...


Garnet, I don't think this is a very...

Clam: Garnet?

Garnet: Uh...hey, Clam...

Clam: What are you doing here? This place is so overpriced...

Garnet: Um...I'm just...shopping. With Haiti.

Clam: Then, why is Haiti on the other side of the store...talking to all the salespeople at once...

I always knew I liked you, Clam...

Garnet: Can't you go bug someone else for awhile? My mom's doing some stupid errands, why don't you go annoy her?

Well, I guess I could go give her the news I just saw...

Garnet: Wait, no...

Sorry...already on my way out...


Ahh, here you are...wait, where are we?

Christin: Oh, I'm down at the community center. I had to pay for Amethyst's music lessons...I thought you were going to stay with Garnet...

Funny you should bring that up...

Antionette: Oh, Christin...I was hoping you'd drop by today...

Christin: I know, I'm a few days late. I've just been swamped lately reviewing all those new bars down by the docks...

Antoinette: Actually, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about...(sigh)...after Garnet's art class last week, I noticed that we were suddenly missing a whole bunch of art supplies, and...

Christin: Wait...back up. Garnet's what class?

Yeah, I'm with her on this one.

Antoinette: Yeah...I thought you signed him up.

Christin: No...we've been offering to sign him up for something since he was in grade school but as far as I knew he just kind of hung out while Amethyst had her music lessons. Besides, he's never shown much interest in art...

Well, if Antoinette here is to be believed...

Antoinette: How'd you know my name?

Not the time...anyway, Christin, it seems like you need to have a talk with your son.

Christin: (sigh) Yeah, I guess I do.


Christin: Garnet, we need to have a talk...

Garnet: Whatever she said, it's not true!

Christin: I just came from the community center, Garnet. Antoinette told me...

Garnet: Wait...who?

Christin: Your art teacher.

Garnet: Art...teacher....right...anyway, she's lying. Whatever she told you, it's not true.

Christin: Garnet, listen to me. You can get in serious trouble for this. You know we'll buy you anything you want. It's not like when you were little. We're fine with money now...

Well...

Christin: Well, we're better than we used to be...good enough that we don't have to steal what we want from other people, at least.

Garnet: And who says that's why I'm doing it, huh?

Christin: So, it is true then? What else have you stolen? How long has this been going on?

Um...I'm going to go check on Amethyst...


Trying to drown out the fighting?

Amethyst: Is it working for you?

Nope.

Amethyst: Me neither.



Well, you're still outside the house, so I guess that's a good sign.

Garnet:  Shut up. This is all your fault.

My fault?

Garnet: Yeah...I know you ratted me out. No way my mom figured everything out on her own...

Actually, it was that Antoinette lady that...

Garnet: And now I'm grounded! For like, forever.



Amethyst: So how does it feel to know you'll probably never leave the house until graduation?

Garnet: Shut up, ok? Just shut up!

Amethyst: Well, ok. I'm just going to head down to the community center and hang out...because you know, I can do that.



At least it looks like Christin was able to channel her anger into something useful. Nice going, Christin.




Garnet: Aww, man...

What?

Garnet: Clam and Betta are throwing a huge party at the bluff's right now...Clam keeps sending me pictures and asking when I'm going to show up.

Well, you know, that's what happens when...

Garnet: Screw this! She thinks locking me in the house will fix everything, she's got another thing coming...





You know, I would praise you for doing your own laundry but I have a feeling that's not what's going on here.

Garnet: Mom thinks that she can just lock me in and I won't be able to steal? Ha! Let's see how she likes it when I start stealing from them!

Garnet....this is a really bad idea...

Garnet: Oh, relax, will you? It's just a couple of dollars from the laundry...she'll never miss it.


(Sigh) Just...try not to get arrested at school, ok? I don't think that would make a very good birthday present for your dad.




Dude, seriously? Another poster?

Garnet: What? It's not like I can fit that much in my backpack without anyone noticing.

Your choice of item is not what I'm objecting to here.


Well, looks like Mackerel's got one birthday present already. Now, let's get that cake going...


Oh, come on! We were so close!


Sorry about that, Mackerel...

Mackerel: (Sigh) Eh, it's ok, I guess...



Christin: Hello, there...

Garnet: Um...hi...

Christin: May I ask why you're coming into your sister's room?

Garnet: Uh...I was just going to do some laundry, and...



Christin: And you thought Amethyst may have left something in her pockets?

Garnet: What? How?

Christin: Garnet, if you're going to lie and take things while doing the laundry, it helps to actually turn the washer on...

Garnet: Oh...



Christin: I can't believe you would take money from your sister...



Garnet: So what, am I like, super grounded now? You've already got me on house arrest...what else could you possibly do?

Christin: Well, for starters, the laundry room is now off limits. I do the laundry now. And as for the rest...honestly, Garnet, I need time to think this over.

Um, seeing as how it's the last night of your week I don't suppose you could just...you know what, you take all the time you need.



Garnet: Can you believe it? She actually thought banning me from doing laundry was a punishment....I know, right? And then she's all "I have to think about the rest"...Dude, it's not about the money, ok? I don't know, it's about the...fun, I guess? The fun of getting away with it! Well, I was...




Well, now that you're not getting away with it anymore I suppose the fun's over?

Garnet: No way...the laundry's not the only place I can sneak some cash.

(sigh) I shouldn't even ask, but...

Garnet: She left her credit card in her pocket the other day...

You guys have credit...you know what, that's not the point. You know she's going to notice that missing, right?

Garnet: I didn't steal the card. I just memorized the numbers.

How?

Garnet: Don't you remember? I'm a genius...


Garnet, this is a really bad idea...

Garnet: Isn't about time you went away?

(sigh) Technically you're right...but this is not over. When I get back here we are going to have a talk...assuming you haven't already gotten yourself arrested that is...



A Message from the Mysterious Voice: Welcome to the pre-Seasons catch-up, everyone! I figured I should get myself caught up to my game before the new EP comes out. And yup, Garnet's still coming home from school with random posters and knick-knacks. This kleptomaniac trait would be so much less annoying if he'd come home with something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment