Saturday, August 5, 2017

Bernard 2: Round 16



Last round was a big one for the Bernard house. The three remaining teens (Han, Poe, and Leia) all graduated from high school and entered young adulthood. They also all quickly established romantic relationships, and by the end of the week celebrated a massive three-couple wedding. Meanwhile, Jamaica and Salmon both became elders, which despite his family's concerns didn't seem to dampen Salmon's enthusiasm for his criminal career.


Oh...am I interrupting something?

Leia: Oh, hey mysterious voice.

Pine: Nah, you're not interrupting at all...


Ok, now I know I'm interrupting something...and I think I know where this is going...


Uh-huh...right on cue.


Leia: Pine...I have some news...

Pine: Um...they caught the garden gnome thief?

Leia: What? No...I'm pregnant!

Pine: Oh...well, that's even better...


Jamaica: Wow, you know, you're actually not that bad.

Pine: Thanks.

Jamaica: Your mom must have taught you...

Pine: Eh, not really. She did a little at first, but with so many of us...

Jamaica: Trust me, I know. Say, if you'd like, I can put in a word for you down at the theater...


Pine: Really? That would be great!

Jamaica: Well I have to make sure my grandchild is taken care of, don't I?


Leia: Thanks for helping Pine get the job, Mom...

Jamaica: Oh, it was no big deal...they're always looking for beginner musicians. He'll have to cover open mic comedy night for awhile, but I'm sure he'll do fine.

Wait...you can actually hear with those earbuds?

Leia: Of course...they have a volume control...

Remind me to have a talk with Aldo when I get back to the Flendersons'...


Leia: So...pretty crazy about this whole garden gnome theft thing...isn't it?

Salmon: Huh? Now why would I know anything about that?

Leia: Dad...I think we need to talk...

Salmon: In a minute, honey...I've got to go get some more dressing for this salad...

Leia: ...We don't have any dressing for the salad...

Salmon: Well, then I've got to go to the store and buy some...or, I know...I'll make French toast instead! Now, where are the eggs...


Salmon: Hey, that's looking pretty good there...

Leia: Thanks, Dad. I'm taking this one with me when I start work at the museum tomorrow...


Salmon: You're....going to work at the museum?

Leia: Yeah...why?

Salmon: Oh, nothing, nothing...it's just...I sometimes do maintenance work at the museum. You know, on the cameras, and the lights...and the security systems. So you might see me there.

Leia: Uh-huh...right...

Salmon: But...it's probably best if we don't talk, you know? I don't want you to be embarrassed running into your old man at work...


Yeah, I'm going to go spend some time with the other branch of the family for awhile...


Pine: I'm glad you actually decided to leave the house again...I haven't heard from you in forever. I was getting worried.

Emerald: I'm fine, Pine. Really...

Pine: How's Mom doing?

Emerald: Pretty good, considering. She's so proud of your for going into music, by the way. It's all she ever talks about anymore.



And it looks like she has good reason to be. Nice going, Pine

Pine: Thanks...



Salmon: Hey there, Poe...yeah, I guess I can come over for a bit...

Going to get some toddler practice in before the baby comes?

Salmon: Oh, yeah...I keep forgetting about that. I'm just glad ours never had to go through that. I don't think Jamaica and I would have survived.

Well, nothing like trial by fire...or, in this case, visiting a house with triplets.


Aurora: Grandpa! Grandpa!

Salmon: Hey there, Aurora! Where's your mom and dad?

Aurora: Upstairs...


Poe: Thanks for coming by, Dad...

Salmon: No problem. It's great to see my granddaughters. They've gotten so big...

Poe: So, yeah...um...we were kind of wondering if you wanted to keep an eye on them...just for a couple hours...

Salmon: Oh, um...sure, I guess. You two got some errands to run?

Poe: Um...yeah, I guess a nap could be considered an errand...


This ought to be a show...

Salmon: Ok...Once upon a...Eclipse, where are you going? Sit...ok, now where was I? Oh, yeah...Once upon a time, there was...

Aurora: Grandpa...need potty!

Eclipse: Me too!

Salmon: (sigh) Celestial, do you need the potty too?

Celestial: No...

Salmon: Are you sure?

Celestial: ...Need potty now...

Salmon: (sigh) Man, I never knew this grandpa thing was so hard...


Well, get ready, because you're about to have some more...and this one's going to live with you.


No hospital?

Leia: No time!

All right...here we go!


It's a boy! Welcome, Finn!


Oh...and it's a girl. Welcome, Rey!


...really? Ok...Welcome, Padme!



Leia: Did...did I just have three babies?

You sure did! Don't worry, I'm sure Poe can give you guys plenty of advice.


So, how's everybody doing? You seem to still be awake...

Leia: Well, I have to be. Today's my first day back at work. I really don't want to leave them, though.

Don't worry, Pine will be home, plus your parents.

Leia: I know...I just wish I didn't have to go back so soon.


This must have made it a little easier...

Leia: A bit...


Well, for what it's worth Jamaica seems like a very willing grandma...

Jamaica: I don't have much of a choice...they haven't stopped crying since they were born. Especially the girls.

Having flashbacks to when yours were babies?

Jamaica: Oh, yeah...


You never had to deal with yours as toddlers, though. I don't know if I should be excited or afraid...


Ok, let's do this quick...Happy birthday, dear triplets...





Aww, she looks just like you...





And so does Padme...it'll be fun telling these two apart...


At least we lucked out with the traits this time...not a fussy one in the bunch.


And Finn seems to have taken after his mom...Ok, everybody to the dresser!


There we go...now just never take that shirt off, ok Rey?

Rey: Why?

So I...I mean, so your parents can tell you two apart.


Wow, you guys still have hot tub time?

Pine: Hey, they have to nap, right?

I guess...is it just you two at home right now?

Salmon: Yeah, I sent the women out for a few hours...

And by that you mean that Jamaica went to work?

Pine: Yeah...and Leia's over at Han's house. I said she should take the kids with her but she didn't want to overwhelm him.

Salmon: Well, he's the only one left without kids. Having triplets in his house all afternoon might scare him off the idea entirely.


Han: Hi, Leia...

Leia: Hi, Han...wow...

Han: What?

Leia: It's just...so quiet...


Han: So triplets, huh? Never thought you had it in you.

Leia: Oh, shut up...

Han: But seriously, though...how's it going?

Leia: Well...let me put it this way. I've already stocked up on card games and Don't Wake the Llama sets...

Han: Yeah, at least Mom had us all one at a time...or, two at a time. Not all at once...how's Dad been with them?

Leia: A little nervous, but then again, he never had to deal with the whole toddler thing with us so I think that's all new to him.

Han: Yeah, once he can take them to joke festivals in the middle of the night I'm sure he'll be right back in his element.

Leia: Oh, my (laughs)...remember that? I thought Mom was going to kill him...but you know, that was a really fun night.

Han: Oh, absolutely...I still have one of the fireworks. You know...all things considered...he wasn't that bad of a dad.

Leia: I just wish Luke could see that...


Leia: Hi, guys...hey, what's wrong?

Rey: Daddy go away...

Leia: Oh, I know, honey...but he just went to work. He'll be home soon, you'll see...


Looks like it was for a good reason, though. Congrats, Pine...

Pine: Thanks.


Padme: Airplane, Grandma! Airplane!

Jamaica: Are you tired of the airplane game yet? How about we play something different...like, the sleeping game?


Salmon: And the littlest llama said...Phew, she's finally asleep...

Interesting story there...

Salmon: What? Oh, no...It's just I've been reading to her for at least an hour now. I never knew this bedtime story thing could take so long.

At least she's staying in one place.


Leia: Thanks, Dad...that helped a ton.

Salmon: No problem...it's easier when you're only reading to one. They're kind of growing on me.

Leia: You know...you could stay home with them all the time if you retired...

Salmon: Retire? Hey, now...your old man may have some grey hair but I'm not that old...

Leia: It's just...I worry a little. What if something...happens?

Salmon: Leia, I've been doing my job for years now...what could happen?



Jamaica: Han! What are you doing here so early?

Han: Well, Leia stopped by the other day and I realized I hadn't seen the triplets yet...

Want to get some practice in before you have kids? 

Han: You don't think Lori will have 3 too, do you?

Jamaica: Oh, I'm sure she won't...Leia and Poe are both twins, remember?

Han: Well...so are you...and so is Dad...

Yeah, now that you mention that it really is no wonder this family won the multiple lottery. I guess you could say the twin gene is strong in your family.


Although maybe "won" was the wrong word...


And I see this little scavenger's living up to her name already...

Leia: Come on, guys! It's time to go!

Go? Where are we going?


Leia: Ok, now I want everybody on their best behavior while we're at Uncle Luke's, ok?

Huh...

Leia: What?

Wouldn't have really expected you to bring them here.

Leia: Well, I want the kids to socialize a bit. Han doesn't have any kids yet, and Poe and I both agreed that it would probably be best not to get our triplets together until they're at least out of diapers...

6 toddlers at once...yeah, I kind of agree with you there.


Leia: So...how's work?

Luke: Fine...how are things at home?

Leia: Pretty normal, I guess...as normal as life with three toddlers can be.

Luke: Yeah...I bet Mom's having a great time being a grandma, though.

Leia: Oh, yeah...actually, they both are. Dad's even been reading to them...

Luke: Can we not talk about him? Please?


Um...I hate to interrupt here, but you might want to direct your attention to the kitchen...


Leia: Hey! Guys, we can't throw paint all over Uncle Luke's house!

Luke: Oh, relax...it's not like we don't have a toddler of our own around here...


Who seems delighted to have her cousins over...


Rey: Sorry I made mess Uncle Luke...

Luke: Oh, that's all right...we're always cleaning up messes around here. Say, do you like the airplane game?

Rey: Airplane! Airplane!



Hey, shouldn't this be the other way around?

Luke: What?

(sigh) Never mind...look, I've got to be on my way. You guys have fun playing. I'll see you all next round.


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Yup...two sets of triplets in one round. I guess that's what happens when two sets of twins have a set of twins themselves. I was initially planning on having this round be more about Leia confronting Salmon about his job, but...having three babies/toddlers at once kind of took priority. Rey and Padme are pretty much identical, so Rey's going to be wearing her namesake for awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment