Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Bernard 3: Round 16




Last round, the Bernard family's youngest daughter Corellia was determined to have her own mock wedding after attending about 10 of the real thing for all her older cousins. Meanwhile. her older brother Hosnian grew from a child to a teenager and began to show an interest in Emerald Lytle. By the end of the week, not only had Corellia also grown to a teenager but Trout and Aruba had also become elders.


Hey there, Hosnian...

Hosnian: Huh? Oh...hey mysterious voice.

Something wrong?

Hosnian: (sigh) Not really...not with me, anyway...I'm just worried about Emerald. I've called her like, 5 times this past week and she isn't picking up.

Well, you know, she's been through a lot lately.

Hosnian: Yeah, I know.


Aruba: How's the homework going?

Corellia: Fine...we have to research our family histories.

Aruba: Oh, fun...I think I have some old pictures of Grandpa around here somewhere...

Corellia: Um...actually...I was thinking I would research my...other family.

Aruba: Other family?

Corellia: I mean, I'm adopted, right? So that means there must be some other family that I came from.

Aruba: Well, I supposed so...but I don't know how you'd go about finding out anything about them.

Didn't the orphanage give you any documentation when you adopted her?

Aruba: ...You know, come to think of it...no. They kind of just handed me a baby.

Not very into record keeping around here, are we?


Oh, good...we haven't seen Alderaan in awhile.


Alderaan: Hey, how's my favorite little brother?

Hosnian: Very funny...


Alderaan: So, how's that girlfriend of yours..

Hosnian: She's not my girlfriend...at least, I don't think so. I've been trying to hang out with her forever now but I don't think she wants to see me.

Alderaan: Well...have you gone over to see her? Her dad just died, right? Maybe coming out is too much right now.

Hosnian: You think she'd be ok with that?

Alderaan: Maybe...only one way to find out, right?


Emerald: Hosnian? What are you doing here?

Hosnian: Well, I...haven't heard from you in awhile. I just wanted to check in.

Emerald: I know, I know...I'm sorry...

Hosnian: Hey, don't be sorry...why don't we go out for dinner?

Emerald: Wish I could...but I've got to get watering...

Hosnian: Need some help? I've got a garden at home too...

Emerald: Really? That would be amazing...


So...you're not freaked out by the giant purple flowers?

Hosnian: Not really...besides, even if I was, do you think I'd really ask her about that now?

I see your point.


Huh...wouldn't have seen that one coming...


Corellia: Tattletale...

Hosnian: Hey, I'm not the one who tried to hack into the school records. Why were you trying to get in there anyway? You already have straight A's...

Corellia: Who said I was trying to hack my grades?

What were you trying to hack?

Corellia: I was trying to see if they had any information on where I was adopted from!

Did they?

Corellia: Well I never got to read any of it thanks to someone...


Looks like it's a boys vs. girls project night?

Aruba: Yeah, I guess it is...although I still think the computer programmer might be a better fit for the robotics project...

Trout: Hey, is is so bad I wanted to branch out?


Aruba: So, our daughter asked me a very interesting question the other night...

Trout: Was it about how to hack into the school computers?

Aruba: No, and anyway that sounds more like something she would learn from you...she wants to find out about her birth family.

Trout: Do...do we even know about her birth family?

Aruba: Well I certainly don't!

Trout: You don't think she'll just grow out of this? I mean, she's gone through a lot of phases...

Aruba: Maybe...but either way, I think she deserves to know...hey, mysterious voice, you don't know anything about this, do you?

Sorry...I can't even see the orphanage. All I know is that you named her Corellia after you picked her up.


Hey, look who's out of the house!

Emerald: Huh? What are you talking about? I've been out of the house...once or twice...

Hosnian: Ha! I win!

Emerald: No fair! The mysterious voice distracted me!


Hosnian: So...you want to go out to dinner tomorrow night?

Emerald: Um...listen...you're really sweet to help us out so much, and I really like hanging out with you, but...I don't know if I really want to start dating right now...is it ok if we're just friends for a little while?

Hosnian: Oh...um...ok, sure...


Trout: Aren't you a little late getting home?

Hosnian: Sorry, Dad...I was out with Emerald...

Trout: You two are getting pretty close, huh?

Hosnian: (sigh) Not really...I don't get it. She says she likes me...she just doesn't want to date right now...

Trout: Huh...really?


How's the family tree project coming?

Corellia: Not so great...are you sure you don't know anything about my birth parents?

Sorry...

Corellia: Aren't you supposed to be the omnipotent narrator or something?

Well, yeah...once you got here...

Corellia: Wait...so, I'm not from here?

Well, that's what I assumed...


Corellia: Mom...the orphanage you got me from...where was it, exactly?

Aruba: Hmm...that's a good question...

Wait, you don't know either? What, did they blindfold you on the way?

Aruba: Well, it was a long time ago...


Corellia: Do you know where the orphanage was?

Trout: Um...no...your mother went to pick you up...

Didn't you have to fill out some sort of application or something?

Trout: Aruba handled all of that...

I have so many new questions about the adoption process around here...


Trout: (sigh) Look, she's been...going through a phase...yeah, just let her re-take the test...


Oh, hey there Haiti...

Haiti: Yeah...hi mysterious voice. So listen, Hosnian, are you and Emerald a thing now or what?

Hosnian: Huh?

Haiti: Come on...I need to know! The entire school is trying to figure it out. I mean, you're the only person she talks to anymore...

Hosnian: I am?

Haiti: Well duh...

Hosnian: Man, now I'm even more confused...

Maybe you should try the dinner invite again...friends do go out to eat together, you know.



Hosnian: Thanks for coming out with me...

Emerald: Yeah...no, this is nice...

Hosnian: Listen, about the other night...I totally get if you're not ready for anything too serious right now...

Emerald: Really?

Hosnian: Yeah...I mean, you've been through a lot, right? Totally understandable.

Emerald: It's not that I don't like you, you know...I do. A lot...

Hosnian: Really?


Finally...

Hosnian: Huh?

Nothing....nothing...


Corellia: But Mom...

Aruba: Cori, you are not traveling halfway around the world by yourself to dig through adoption records...

Wait, did I miss something?

Corellia: Well, I figured out a few orphanages that could have been where I came from...but they're all really far away. But it's for school, Mom...

Aruba: I don't care what it's for! You're not going.

Trout: Besides, what's so bad about doing your project on us? You know, your great-great-uncle used to be the best angler this town has ever seen...

Um...not exactly true there, Trout...but nice effort.


Hosnian: Emerald?

Emerald: Huh...oh, hey.

Hosnian: I thought we could watch a movie...what are you doing out here?

Emerald: Nothing...just...thinking, I guess...you know, my dad always used to joke about any boy who wanted to date me would have to get past him first...

Hosnian: What, you think he wouldn't like me?

Emerald: Oh, no...I'm sure he would...especially since you're taking such good care of his weird flowers.


Hosnian: Come on...let's go inside. I've got the movie all cued up...


Charley: Oh, hello there, Hosnian...

Hosnian: Hi Mrs. Lytle...we were just watching a movie...

Charley: Oh, that's fine...you know, it's been a real help having you around. I hope your mother doesn't mind...

Hosnian: Are you kidding? She's thrilled I'm finally out of the house!

Charley: Do you mind if I sit down? It's been a long night...


Hosnian: Are you ok?

Charley: Oh, sure...but you know, when you get to be my age some things just aren't as easy anymore. And performing is one of them. Just part of getting old, I guess...


Oh, speaking of getting old...


Ok, this seems way too easy...Please don't be a trap...please don't be a trap...


Well, he did better than Clam did at the soup kitchen.


Nice going, Aruba.

Aruba: Thanks...


Hosnian: Mom...can we talk?

Aruba: Sure, Hosnian...what's up?

Hosnian: Well...I was over at Emerald's the other day and...Mom, her mom's getting really old...

Aruba: Hosnian!

Hosnian: It's true, though. And I don't...this seems horrible to say, but I don't think she's going to make it until Emerald graduates...Mom...I want to move in with Emerald.

Aruba: What?

What?

Aruba: But...you're not even out of high school yet...

Yeah...what she said!


Hosnian: I know it's a lot to ask, but I've really thought this through...

Aruba: Hosnian, Emerald's a great girl. And once you both graduate...

Hosnian: But Mom...my graduation isn't that far away. And I just can't stand to think of her all alone in that house.

Trout: But it's against the rules!

Hosnian: What rules?

Trout: The mysterious voice rules...you know...come on, you've always got some weird reason we can't do stuff. Now'd be a great time to chime in with one...

Well, it is a bit unorthodox, but...

Aruba: Don't tell me you agree with him...

Look, to tell you the truth, he's...not wrong about Charley.

Trout: Wait...you know when we're going to die?

Not exactly...it's complicated. Can we stay on topic here? Anyway, I don't like the idea of Emerald being all alone any more than he does.

Aruba: Well...I guess you would be just down the road...and it's not like you're that far away from graduating anyway...(sigh) Have you talked to Emerald's mom about this, by the way?

Hosnian: Oh, yeah...we both have. She's ok with it as long as you are...

Aruba: (sigh) Ok...I guess we can try it...


Corellia: WHAT! You're not seriously going to let him move out, are you?

I guess we forgot to include one person in the family meeting...

Corellia: You sure did! So, I can't travel to try and find out where I came from but he can go move in with his girlfriend? That's so unfair!

Aruba: Cori, Emerald lives down the road. For all we know, your birth family could be on the other side of the world. It's completely different. 


Hosnian: So I guess you heard...

Corellia: Yeah...you know, I always knew you were going to move out eventually...I just never thought it'd be so soon...

Hosnian: Hey, come on...let's not make this Nanny Faith all over again...

Corellia: (laughs) First her, then Alderaan...now you. At least there's no one left to leave now.



Aruba: Now remember...don't leave anything in the oven...

Hosnian: I know, Mom...

Aruba: And don't try and fix anything until you know how...

Hosnian: I won't...

Aruba: And make sure you...

Hosnian: Mom! I'll be fine, I promise!

Don't worry, Aruba. I'll give you guys a full report when I get back next round. Which reminds me, it's about time for me to be on my way. See you all in round 17!




A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Man, this one took a long time to write. I was hoping to have it up yesterday but was distracted by all the Cats and Dogs hype. Anyway, I know it's a little bit odd to have Hosnian move in with Emerald before he graduates, but...I absolutely refuse to have Emerald alone on that lot. The poor thing's been through enough. And Charley most likely will not make it through another week. Hosnian only has a couple of days left as a teen, anyway, so it won't be weird for very long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment