Thursday, January 11, 2018

Flenderson 2: Round 17



Last round, Hugo was still dealing with the repercussions of his magic bean experiment. Luckily, the effects turned out to be temporary and by the end of the week he was back to his old self. Meanwhile, the couple's oldest child, Snow, started school but found he had a harder time with reading. The fact that his little sister seemed to pick up the skill before being able to fully speak didn't help. Sadly, both Rain and Chase passed away from old age, with the latter going out during the girls' birthday party.


Hi, guys!

Snow: Oh, hey mysterious voice.

Do I want to know what you guys are doing out in the yard in the middle of the night?

Hugo: Well, I'm catching up on some gardening...I'm not sure about Snow.

Snow: Um...I want to help? It's for science class. 

Hugo: Science class, huh? Well, I guess if it's for school...

I'm guessing that your science class hasn't gotten to the importance of sleep yet.


Lightning: Wind, do you know what today is?

Wind: Monday.

Lightning: Well, yes, it is. But do you know why today's a special Monday?

Wind: ....

Lightning: Do you remember what I'm doing while you are at school today?

Wind: Yes. First you run on the treadmill. Then you write. Then you and Dad have lunch. Then Dad goes to work. Then we come home.

Lightning: Yes...that...that is what I do while you're at school. But today I'm doing something else...


Ah, that's right. I remember that from your holiday card...

Lightning: Hugo and I thought it would be a good idea...especially for Wind, you know?

I guess you noticed her bonding with Arcanine at Aldo's party?

Lightning: It was amazing, wasn't it? Anyway, we've been looking ever since then and I think Sandy here will be perfect.

Have you guys chosen a name yet?

Lightning: His name is Sandy...kind of an odd name, don't you think?

Your name is Lightning, you have a daughter named Sunshine...I think it's ok.


Huh, well, if by "perfect" you mean "perfect at digging up the yard"...


Wind: A dog!?

Yup...

Wind: I've seen one dog before. Her name was Arcanine. I met her at a birthday party. What's this dog's name?

Sandy...and he's going to live here with you.

Wind: We need to get a bowl. And toys. And a bed...

Don't worry, I think your mom's taken care of that.



Although I don't think the bed will really be necessary.


Snow: You better not let that dog near my blocks...check it out, I just finished a rocket.

Wind: That's not a real rocket. A real rocket wouldn't be that color because...

Snow: Of course it's not a real rocket! Just stay away from it, ok?


Sandy: (whimpers)

What's wrong?

Lightning: He's been like this ever since Wind left for school.

I guess that attachment goes both ways, huh?

Lightning: I guess...I just didn't expect it to happen so fast. She only met him yesterday.


Oh, is it science fair time again?

Wind: Yes. I'm building a model of a solar system. I'm using Sandy's toys because they look like planets.

Aren't there little balls in the kit?

Wind: Yes. But I want Sandy to help.

Good luck explaining the slobber to your teacher.


Looks like Hugo had a good day at work...glad to know he's still around, anyway.


Oh, hi Chimney...what are you doing here?

Chimney: Mom had to go to work early...cool, I've never seen one of these up close before!

Lightning: His name is Sandy. I think he likes you.

Chimney: Does he do any cool tricks?

Lightning: Um...not yet. But I'm sure Wind is working on it. Maybe you two could try and teach him together?

Chimney: Eh...that's ok. I've got homework to do anyway.


Well, wherever he's been it's a great week for Hugo so far.


Sunshine: You know we can't bring Sandy to the party, right? Dogs can't go to birthday parties.

Wind: That's not true because I've already met a dog at a birthday party.

Sunshine: Yeah...but this party's going to be really fancy and grown up. You can't bring a dog to a fancy, grown up party.

Wind: You can bring a dog anywhere because there aren't any laws about that yet.

Sunshine: Ugh...why don't you ever listen to anyone? This is why you don't have any friends, you know.

Sunshine, that's not very nice...

Sunshine: What? It's true!


Wind, I'm sure Sunshine didn't mean that...

Wind: Yes she did. That's why she said it. But it's not true.

That's right...I bet you have a lot of friends at school.

Wind: No...because Sandy can't go to school. But he's still my friend. And one is more than none.

I...guess that's true.


Huh, that's a new one...

Lightning: Hello? (Sigh) Is she ok? Yeah, look, she's been really stressed this week, we've got a big party coming up and her sister...yeah, exactly. No, I'll check her again when she gets home. It's only another hour or so... 


Man, the phone calls just don't stop coming today.

Lightning: Yeah, maybe an afternoon out of the house is what everybody needs.


Alderaan: Hey there...long time no see.

Lightning: I know...

Alderaan: So, how's everything over at your place? Hugo still...

Lightning: No, thankfully that wore off. I was getting worried I'd be married to a walking salad forever.

Alderaan: Any plans for the big event?

Lightning: What, his birthday? We're just having a few people...nothing big. Too much work.

Alderaan: Tell me about it...so, how are the kids doing? I heard Wind had a rough day.

From who?

Alderaan: Oh, hi mysterious voice. I didn't know you were here. Anyway, Chimney told me. Apparently it was the talk of the school.

Lightning: (sigh) Like she needed that...

Alderaan: I'm sure it will blow over quickly enough. All kids have days like that.

Speaking of...where are they?

Lightning: Outside, I think...


Sunshine: Can you believe it? She actually used dog toys in her project.

Chimney: What did the teacher say?

Sunshine: She said it was "creative". But it looked so dumb! Why can't she just do things like everybody else? It's so embarrassing...

Um, not to interrupt your discussion, but...where is your sister?

Sunshine: Ugh...she's upstairs playing with Balcony. See what I mean? She's playing with the little kid-it's weird!


Sunshine: Balcony, Wind has to play with the big kids...

Balcony: Why?

Sunshine: Because she does, that's why...

Wind: Actually, I'd rather stay here. We're almost done building an ancient city out of Balcony's blocks...


Well, unfortunately, nobody's staying where they are. It's birthday party time.


Um, Lightning? I think you may have forgotten something...

Lightning: Oh...you know, it's fine. It's just us here. Plus, we'll be inside anyway.

Sunshine: This whole family is so embarrassing...


Thunder: Hey there, Wind...how are you....

Sandy: (Barks)

Hugo: Down, boy...sorry, Thunder. Sandy gets like that when anyone gets too close to Wind.

Well, then maybe we should get away from Wind and head inside for cake?


Happy birthday, dear Hugo...


Nothing to exciting there...

Hugo: Hey!

What?

Hugo: Aren't you going to take my picture?

Do you look any different than this morning?

Hugo: ...No...

I rest my case.


Wind: But Mom, we're studying animals! And he'd be really good, I promise...he was good at the party, wasn't he?

Lightning: Sorry, honey, but the school rules are different. Dogs can't go to school. And he was not good at the party. Remember how he barked at Uncle Thunder?

Wind: But Sunshine gets to have her friends with her at school. Why can't I have mine?

Well, as much as I hate to leave during this conversation...

Lightning: Coward...

Hey, when it's time to move on it's time to move on...see you next round, everyone.




A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Happy 2018, everyone! Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday cards. I actually made the mistake of getting way far ahead in playing again, so there's going to be a few back to back updates. For the record, Wind has in fact taught Sandy most of the tricks in the game. I'm pretty sure she's going to be the town's first vet when she grows up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment