Thursday, January 11, 2018

Palmer 2: Round 17




Last round, twins Lily and Rose joined their brother Thistle in high school. Unfortunately, Lily and Rose's relationship with each other seemed to be drifting apart as they grew up. Meanwhile, Silas finally convinced Azalea to downsize the family garden, and put up a rock climbing wall instead.


Hi, guys...how's everything going around here?

Lily: Fine...except for Thistle.

What's wrong with Thistle?


Am I interrupting something?

Thistle: No...just go away!

Rose: (whispers) He's been like this ever since Erica graduated...

Oh, I see...well, we can deal with that in a minute. First, I have a promise to make good on.


Silas: Um...hello there....who are you?

He's dropping off your new dog.

Silas: Our new...what?

Didn't Azalea fill you in? I've been saying it since that thing started growing in the backyard. As soon as dogs show up, you guys are getting one. Now quick, what are we naming him?


Really? We're naming the dog Chompy II?

Silas: Well it's not like we had a lot of time to decide...


So, what do you think of him so far?

Lily: He's pretty cute, I guess...


(sigh) Thistle, do you really think this is necessary?

Thistle: What?

Moping around in your pajamas like this?

Thistle: It's just hard, ok? 

You'll be out of school in like, 2 days. You'll be fine...



See? Isn't he a better gardening buddy than...Chompy the first?

Silas: Well, technically Chompy's part of the garden, so I don't think it's a fair comparison.


Well, we all knew this was coming...

Silas: (sigh) Maybe she'll handle it well?

Have you met your wife?


Oh, hey Clam.

Clam: Hey...

Lily: Clam and I were just doing our robotics project.

Looks like it came out pretty well...but Clam might want to head home. It's your mom's birthday, and...

Lily: Enough said.

Clam: What?

Lily: My mom's not...that thrilled with getting older...


Um, Azalea? You know what today is, right?

Azalea: Of course...

So, do you want to have cake here or...

Azalea: What's the rush? I've got the whole day...


Or...


Hate to say I told you so, but...


Azalea: It's just not fair...I wasn't ready...


Silas: Oh, come on...being old isn't that bad. Look at me! I think I wear it quite well...

Azalea: You don't get it...my whole life's been about the team and working out and now...now I can't do any of it anymore!

Silas: What? Sure you can...

Azalea: Not without dropping dead from exhaustion!


Silas: Look, Azalea, I'm sure the team isn't going to kick you off or anything...and besides, you can still keep in just as great shape as before. You've just got to scale back a little bit...

Azalea: Like you did with the garden...(sigh) I guess you're right. I just never thought this day would come so soon...

Speaking of garden...


So...now that we have Chompy II...

Lily: Yeah?

Don't you think it's time we said goodbye to Chompy I?

Lily: Why would we do that? Chompy's lived here longer than I have...in fact, longer than my mom has too. He's part of the family...

Yeah, I'm just worried that one day the family's going to...you know, become a part of Chompy.

Lily: I don't know why you're so worried about him. You wouldn't hurt a fly, would you Chompy?

You do remember that he tried to eat you, right?

Lily: I'm sure he didn't mean it...


Looks like Silas was right after all.


And we can finally get Thistle out of his mopey phase...


Although this might not be the best way to do that...





Yeah, great birthday so far.



Goodbye, Silas...


I'm sorry, Azalea...

Azalea: Well...we're old. And that's what old things do, I guess. They die.

(sigh) At least you've got a little friend for company...

Azalea: I'll admit, he's been a big help...


So, I take it the party's off...

Thistle: Yeah...Erica and I are just going to go out to dinner.


Thistle: Thanks for taking me out. I just couldn't see us having a party right now...

Erica: Of course. After all, we can't miss your big day.


Happy birthday, dear Thistle...


This is going to be a very responsible group of young adults...


Thistle: Erica, now that I'm out of school...there's something I've been waiting to do for a long time...


Thistle: Will you marry me?


You're not the only one who's been waiting for this. I've been waiting since you two were toddlers!


So, I guess you all heard the news?

Azalea: Yes! It's wonderful, isn't it?

Lily: Wonderful? Dad just died, and now he's throwing his big stupid wedding? I mean, there was nothing he could do about his birthday, but does he have to throw a wedding now?

Rose: You honestly expected those two to wait with the way Thistle's been moping around here? 


I guess this is going to count as a bachelor party...


Thistle: Hey, sorry I'm a little late...what are you eating?

Shark: Oh, the chili cook off just started. Want some?

Thistle: That's ok...I kind of just want a drink.


Thistle: You don't think she's right, do you?

Shark: Who's right?

Thistle: Lily...she's all upset that we're having the wedding so soon after Dad...

Shark: Well, what are you supposed to do? Life moves on, right? Besides, it'll give your mom something to be happy about.

Thistle: I hope so...


Rose: Hey, do you think you could help with my hair for the wedding?

Lily: Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? We shouldn't even be doing this right now...


Sorry, Lily...it's wedding time...


Daisy: Hey, Mom...you look great!

Azalea: Thank you, dear...so do you. And the kids look so cute...

Daisy: For now. You might want to get their pictures in early, just in case...


Alright, let's get this show on the road...





I...have no idea why everybody's dancing in the background, but ok...


Oh, look at that...even the two family dogs are getting along...hopefully Arcanine's been spayed...


All right, gratuitous family photo time everybody...I need one nice picture of the whole family...

Lily: Most of us, anyway...



Thistle: Lily, what is going on with you? Usually you're little miss sunshine...and today you decide to be the downer? Did you and Rose switch jobs without telling me?

Lily: Like you care! Dad's not even gone two days and you're leaving us all behind!

Thistle: What?

Lily: What about Mom, huh? Did you ever think that maybe...

Thistle: I'm sorry, but have you met Mom? She doesn't need anyone to take care of her. You guys will be fine...and anyway, I'll still be around. I think that dog's gotten pretty attached to me.

Lily: Promise?

Thistle: I promise...alien.

Lily: Hey!


Well, I think that's a pretty good sign that it's time to be heading home...and for me to be moving on to the next house. See you next round, everyone!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: One year after toddlers, Thistle and Erica are finally married! I can't tell you how satisfying that was! And no, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of Chompy. He's been at that house for 3 generations now-I just couldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment