Friday, August 31, 2018

Bernard 1: Round 18



Last round was a sad one for the Bernard family. Croix's wife, Khloe, passed away from old age leaving her son Cyprus without a mother before graduating high school. 



Um...hi...

Ezekiel: Oh, um...hey mysterious voice.

Are you...feeling ok?

Ezekiel: Never better...why?

No reason...I just thought it was impressive that you can scratch your...rash of health and run at the same time. Where's everybody else?

Ezekiel: Eh, Bermuda went over to visit Bahama and the new baby. I would have gone too, but she said something about not wanting the baby to get sick...

Well, it is cold and flu season...


Bahama: Hi, Mom!

Bermuda: How are you guys doing? Are you set for formula? How about diapers?

Bahama: Mom, we're fine...

Besides, I'm pretty sure those things just kind of appear...


 Enjoying being a Grandma?

Bermuda: So far, so good. I just wish we could bring him with us for Winterfest...

What do you mean, bring him with us?

Bermuda: Oh, we thought we'd spend Winterfest up in Granite Falls. You know, kind of a nice wrap up to this crazy week.


Man, you weren't kidding. It's like birthday-fest around here this week.

Bermuda: You're telling me...going away for Winterfest is going to feel like a vacation...


Well, I guess we'd better get things moving, then. Happy birthday, dear Ezekiel...





At least the rash is gone?


And it looks like Croix is next up on the birthday train...


Oh, there's Haiti...hey, could you...

Haiti: Shh! I'm on the phone...No, that was just the mysterious voice. Yeah, we're stuck with her this week.

Hey...

Haiti: You're kidding...Still? All you did was steal some stupid posters...well, if it makes you feel better I'm going to be stuck spending Winterfest in the woods. Hey, what if my mom invited you? Then your mom would have to let you come, right? You just leave that part to me... 


Bermuda: You need any help?

Cyprus: No! I'm in my last week of school, I don't need any help with projects.

And I see Cyprus is in just as great of a mood as when we left him...


So, it's your birthday, but not your twin sister's...

Croix: Yeah...

And you don't think that's weird?

Croix: Why would it be weird?

Let's just do this...Happy birthday, dear Croix...





Wait, you're not hunched over or in pain...

Croix: Yeah...hey, maybe all the video games kept me forever young?

I...don't think that's what happened.


Haiti: Hey, Mom, can I ask you something?

Bermuda: Sure, sweetie. What's up?

Haiti: What do you think about Garnet coming with us for Winterfest?

Bermuda: Well, I was kind of planning on it just being a family trip...

Haiti: I know, but...well, he's going to be family someday, right?

Bermuda: I guess...are Garnet's parents ok with it?

Haiti: Oh, sure. They're ok with it if you are...

Bermuda: Ok, I guess having him along would be alright...

Haiti: Great! I'll go call him right now!

Bermuda...Why do I have the feeling...

...that you just got talked into a really bad idea?

Bermuda: Yeah...


Ok, next up on the birthday roster...


Yes, let's get him out of school before he gets expelled.


Happy birthday, dear Cyprus...


Man, I always forget how many vegetarians there are in this town.


Congratulations...

Cyprus: What for? I look exactly the same...


Oh, right...Ezekiel has a job...

Ezekiel: Well, somebody has to be paying for all this cake...


Speaking of...


Oh, we're leaving already?

Bermuda: Yup. We'll do my birthday once we get there.


Hey, look, they even decorated the place for you...

Cyprus: Uh-huh...


Ok, how'd you get stuck grilling in the snow?

Cyprus: ...I don't know...

Ok...


Hi, Garnet. Glad to see you're not in jail yet.

Garnet: Ha...if you can call it that. My mom barely even lets me out of my bedroom anymore...but I think I'm wearing her down. I mean, she has to be getting as sick of it as I am.

Is that how you convinced her to let you come here?

Garnet: I guess...she said something about me being somebody else's problem.


Ok, everybody...time to trim the tree. (Assuming Garnet hasn't already pocketed the ornaments...)

Bermuda: What?

Oh, nothing...


Very classic look...


Bermuda: Ok, everybody...let's start getting ready for bed. Father Winter will be here before we know it...

Haiti: Oh, Mom...

Cyprus: That's just for little kids...


Um...I don't think so...


Haiti: Wait...you're real?

Father Winter: Well, of course! Happy Winterfest, Haiti...

Haiti: ...How did you know my name? This is too freaky...


See? Nobody's too old for Father Winter...


And it looks like Father Winter brought Bermuda some gray hairs..


Not exactly the Winterfest gift you were expecting, huh?

Bermuda: Not exactly. I guess we just got so caught up in the holiday that we forgot...


Garnet: Want to sneak a peak at some of those presents?

Haiti: Actually, I have a...special present for you. Upstairs...


Hey, watch it you two. Those are rented beds.


Bermuda: Ok, everybody...let's dig in..hey, wait. Where's Croix?

Cyprus: Oh, he went out for some air...

Bermuda: Some air? It's freezing...

Cyprus: Yeah...um...I'll go get him.


Cyprus: Dad? It's time to open presents...

Croix: Oh...oh, right. I'll be right in.

Cyprus: What are you doing out here?

Croix: Just thinking...you know, your mom would have loved to see this.

Cyprus: Yeah...I know. Dad...I...I really miss her.

Croix: Me too, son. Me too.

I think I'll just give you two a moment.


Haiti: This was so much more fun with you here! I was afraid I was going to be so bored...

Garnet: No, this was pretty cool. Thanks for inviting me...

You mean, thanks for convincing her mom to convince your mom to let you go?

Garnet: Yeah, sure...I don't know what am I doing to do without you around at school after break...

Wait, does that mean...


Looks like we get one more birthday before we head home!



Happy birthday, dear Haiti...


Huh...not the trait I would have predicted...


All right, well, this has been fun, but I've got to be moving on to the next house. You guys can find your way home ok?

Haiti: Of course!

Great, well, then I'll see you guys next round!


A Message from the Mysterious Voice: And after much too long, we finally have the next update in round 18. For some reason, it took me forever to write this one. (I've actually been having a hard time forcing myself to close the game and write the posts after each lot. I'm so far ahead in my game right now it's not even funny.) Anyway, I was so excited to have Winterfest with these guys so they could spend it in Granite Falls. Obviously I had to go in and decorate the cabin before they left, but it ended up being a really beautiful place for them to spend the holiday. (And I love that Father Winter comes even for households that don't have children.)


No comments:

Post a Comment