Sunday, May 7, 2017

Bernard 2: Round 15

 

Last round, the oldest of Jamaica and Salmon's children, Luke, graduated from high school and grew to a young adult. However, his newfound maturity only made his father's career choice (and his hiding it from his kids) all the more painful. Thankfully, he also had a relationship with his high school sweetheart Cindy to distract him, and at the end of the week the two were married. Meanwhile, Jamaica continued to advance in the music career.
 

And I can see I've entered at a bad moment...what's wrong, Leia?

Leia: Nothing, nothing...it's just been a long week.

You can say that again...

Poe: You sure you're alright?

Leia: Yeah, I'll be fine, I just need to take my mind off things for awhile...
 

 Perfect timing, Pine...
 

Leia: That's so great that Hunter's OK. 

Pine: I know. I thought my brothers were crazy putting that well in the backyard. Who could have known, right?

Leia: So, everything back to normal around your house now?

Pine: Well, other than my mother treating me and Emerald like we're made of glass...can't say I blame her though. Between almost losing Hunter and us all growing up... 
 

 Speaking of growing up...
 

Salmon: Honey, maybe you should take a break...

Jamaica: I would love to take a break...but birthday parties don't pay for themselves, you know.

 Salmon: I don't understand why we just can't have it here...cake in the kitchen worked fine for us...

Jamaica: Because I want the rest of our families to be there! Han's only going to graduate once, Salmon.

Salmon: So, it's just going to be family? No...other people?

Jamaica: Why? Worried you'll run into someone from work?

Salmon: Well...

Jamaica: Well you should have thought of that before you picked your career. We're having the party at the banquet hall-end of story.
 

 Time for the first of what will probably be many parties this week...
 

Leia: Hi, Lori...so glad you could make it. You remember Han, right?

Lori: Um, yeah, Leia. He's the one whose name is on the invite?

Leia: Right...well, I'll just leave you two alone.
 

Hold on, we've got to do the cake first. Happy birthday, dear Han...
 

Huh...well, we'll have to wait and see how that one shows up.
 

Han: So, you having a good time?

Lori: Yeah...I guess so. I'm having a hard time keeping track of who everyone is.

Han: Trust me, I know. There are relatives here I haven't even met.
 

Speaking of...you poor kids are going to be partied out by the time this round is over.

Haiti: Hmm...there were better cookies at my mom's birthday.

Betta: Yeah, and I didn't even get to wear the sparkly dress I wore to my mom's wedding.

Corellia: I have a sparkly dress too! My mom wouldn't let me wear mine either, though. She said that it's only for really fancy parties. Like when people get married and stuff.

Betta: Maybe we should get married. Then we could both wear our sparkly dresses. Two girls can get married now...my cousin did it.

Haiti: Don't you have to be a grown up to get married?

Betta: Oh, yeah, I forgot about that...

Corellia: Well...we're not that little anymore. We're big enough to stay home by ourselves without a nanny...maybe we can do it anyway.
 

Lori: Hey, listen, I'm going to take off...but thanks for inviting me. Maybe tomorrow I could swing by your place?

Han: Yeah, that sounds nice...

Corellia: Are you two gonna kiss?

Han: Cori!
 

Leia: Bahama...what are you wearing?

Bahama: I don't know...I just kind of found it. I think it's meant to be a costume, but...I kind of like it.

Leia: Well, you sure do stand out. I kind of like it too, actually. I don't know why...
 

Well, you survived another party...although I didn't really see you too much...

Salmon: Yeah, I had to slip out halfway through...I forgot to put in a vacation day at work. I don't think Jamaica and the kids even noticed, though. There were so many people there...
 

Han: I'm glad you came over, Lori. Sorry we don't have any more...adult games.

Lori: It's alright...it's kind of nostalgic. Did you have this since you were a kid?

Han: Yeah. Mom bought it to try and keep me and my siblings out of her hair.

Lori: Did it work?

Han: No, not really. (Laughs) You got any brothers or sisters?

Lori: No, just me...you're lucky to have such a big family, Han. I'm really glad I got to meet them all.

Han: I'm not convinced you really did...but there's always next time... 
 

And I guess these two are officially an item now. 
 

Leia: All right, lovebirds. You might want to move before you get hit with a ball...
 

Salmon: Well I'm glad at least one of you kids is still getting some use out of the basketball hoop.

Leia: Hey, maybe we can go down and play in the city sometime? They have a real court and...

Salmon: The city? No, no...that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Leia: What? Why? You've taken us to the city before.

Salmon: I have?

Leia: Yeah, the humor festival, remember?

Salmon: Right...well, that was a long time ago. Who knows what's cropped up there since then?
 

Well, while Salmon tries to talk himself out of yet another hole, I'll just tag along with Poe...

 

Universe: So, Mom's getting our new room all set up for when you move in. You have any color preferences or anything?

Poe: No, not really. Just...nothing too girly.

Universe: So the hot pink walls are out, then...hey, what's up? You seem kind of out of it tonight.

Poe: Oh...it's nothing.

Universe: Poe...

Poe: I'm just kind of down tonight. Nothing big, I promise.

Universe: Anything I can do to cheer you up?

Poe: Well, you can tell me where you got that strawberry...

Universe: I snuck into the banquet room in the back...I think the chocolate fountains are still running from the last party that was in there.

Poe: Be right back...

 

Hey, look who's back...

Lori: Ugh...can't you turn the sky voice off for awhile?

Han: Um...not really...what's wrong?

Lori: You'll never believe it...I got home from work last night, and my garden gnomes were all gone...again!

Han: Really?

Lori: Yeah! Some loser just stole them right off my lawn. My neighbors' too.  I mean, of all the things to steal, right?

Han: What would someone do with all those garden gnomes?

Lori: Beats me. But I'm thinking it's time I moved...

Han: Well, since you brought it up...there's been something I've been meaning to ask...
 

Really, Han? You're doing this in your swimsuit?

Han: Shh!
 

 Han: Lori, will you marry me?
 

 Alright, looks like we get a wedding this week!
 

Poe: Crazy about all those lawn ornaments going missing, huh?

Salmon: What lawn ornaments? I don't know anything about lawn ornaments. Why would you think I knew something about...

Poe: Whoa, Dad. I didn't mean anything by it-I just saw it on the news.

Salmon: It's...on the news?

Poe: Yeah. They're launching a big investigation into it.

Salmon: Uh-oh...I mean, oh. That's...interesting. 
 

Hey, nice going Jamaica...

Jamaica: Thanks. 
 

Huh? Already? Well, I guess time flies when you're stealing gnomes...

Salmon: Hey! You wanna keep it down? The kids are upstairs... 
 

 Leia: Han... I'm really worried about Dad.

Han: He's just growing to an elder, Leia. It's not like he's dying...

Leia: No, not about that...have you seen the news reports about all the stuff that's been going missing from people's lawns?

Han: ...You don't think...

Leia: I do. Han, what if they catch him?

Han: Well, maybe Luke will go easy...

Leia: Luke? Why would Luke catch him?

Han: Um...nothing. Forget I said anything.

Leia: Han...

Han: (sigh) Alright, but you have to promise to not tell Mom...

Leia: Han, aren't we a little old for that?

Han: Trust me, Leia. It's for the best.

Leia: Ok, ok. I promise. What's going on?

Han: Well, Luke's...not really becoming a mixologist. Once he's settled in with Cindy, he's...joining the police force.

Leia: The police force? But he's wanted to be a mixologist since he learned what one was...

Han: I know. You could say that Dad pushed him in a different direction.

Leia: So...he's joining specifically to catch Dad?

Han: Uh-huh...

Leia: Han! We have to stop him!

Han: What can we do? He doesn't live here anymore...and when he told me he seemed pretty dead set on the idea.

Leia: I can't believe this...why would he do this to us?

Han: Who? Luke or Dad?

Leia: Both!
 

 So I take it you're on cake duty.

Han: Yup. Cake times 3.

3?
 

 Oh, good. The twins' birthday is today too. This is going to be one big party.
 

So, where are we headed?

Jamaica: We thought we'd do it in the park, actually.

Oh...we haven't gone there in a long time.

Jamaica: Yeah, with as big a group as we have, we thought it would be better to be outdoors.
 

 Trout: Hey there, brother...finally getting old, huh.

Salmon: Hey, now. Remember, we're twins. Sure you don't want to share? Get it out of the way?

Trout: Ha...no, you're sharing this one with enough people as it is.
 

Happy birthday, dear Salmon...
 


 

I can't believe you guys are all becoming elders...
 

Leia: Pine! You made it!

Pine: Yeah, I hope I'm not too late...

Leia: No, you're just in time...we just did my dad's cake, we're about to do ours next.
 

Happy birthday, dear Leia...
 

 Ok, I can work with that...
 

Happy birthday, dear Poe...
 

Man, he really lost the trait lottery, didn't he?
 

Memo to self...assign Trout a new party outfit once we're on his lot.

Trout: Hey, what's wrong with it? You like it, don't you honey?

Aruba: Um...sure, dear. It's great...very unique. 
 

Jamaica: Luke! How are you and Cindy doing? You've barely called...

Luke: Yeah, sorry...

Jamaica: How are things down at the bar?

Luke: The bar? Right...um, ok. Yeah. Things are good at the bar...where I work.
 

 Well, it's getting pretty late... I guess everyone will be heading home soon? 

Poe: Not quite yet...
 

Poe: Alright, everyone! Better back up... 
 


 

 Salmon: Are those the fireworks you kids won from the festival?

Poe: Yup, they sure are.

Salmon: See? I told your mom those would come in handy one of these days.
 

 They are quite pretty, I'll admit...
 

 Han: Dad...you did remember to get a permit to launch fireworks in the park, right?

Salmon: Permit?

I'll take that as a no...alright, everyone. Let's head home before the authorities get called in.
 

 ...Really? Hers couldn't have been last night too?
 

Hey, look who dropped by. Hi, Pine!

 Pine: Hi, mysterious voice. Hey Leia, great party last night.

Leia: Thanks...it feels so weird not being in school, though.

Pine: You'll get used to it. I know I did. Hey, listen...I just wanted to thank you, you know? For everything you did when Hunter died.

Leia: Oh, of course. And you know....now there's something I don't want to put off anymore...
 

Leia: Will you marry me? 
 

I think he said yes! 
 

And there's our third couple...

Universe: Hey, you know, it's getting a little crowded around here...why don't we head out for the afternoon?

Poe: Oh...sure. Where did you want to go?

Universe: (sigh) I don't know...how about the bowling alley? 
 

Huh...not exactly the most romantic location for a date.

Universe: Well, the stupid arcade is still shut down.

Poe: Any ideas on when it will reopen?

Universe: No. They've been saying on the news that it might turn into something else entirely.

Poe: Well, for now we can head upstairs and hang out by the bar.
 

 Poe: So, how's everything been going?

Universe: Oh, you know how it is when your cousin unexpectedly dies and gets brought back to life by a wishing well...

Poe: Well, for what it's worth, I'm incredibly proud of you...I don't think I would have handled it nearly as well.

Universe: Thanks, Poe. That really means a lot.

Poe: Hey, Universe? Um...there's something I need to ask you...
 

Really? We're doing this in the bowling alley lounge?

Poe: Will you marry me? 
 

 I guess location doesn't really matter to these guys. And it looks like we're throwing three weddings this week!
 

 Leia: Are you sure Mom doesn't want a party for her birthday?

Salmon: Nah. We just had a huge one for you kids...and now we've got three weddings to throw...(sigh)

Leia: What's wrong, Dad?

Salmon: I just realized that this may be the last time we get to play like this...

Leia: Um, Dad? You know I'm staying here, right?

Salmon: Yeah, I know, but...it'll be different. 
 

Happy birthday, dear Jamaica... 
 


 

 Poe: You alright, Mom?

Jamaica: Yeah...I'm ok. Just a little sore.
 

 Salmon: Phew!

What?

Salmon: They can't fingerprint me if I'm just driving the car!
 

So today's the big day?

Leia: Yup! I'm so nervous...

Han: Nervous? What could go wrong?

Leia: Han...

Han: Oh, right...well, I think everything will be ok. Dad's seemed...unusually normal recently. He even offered to take care of booking the venue.

Leia: You know, somehow that doesn't make me feel better...
 

Salmon: So, today's the day...

Jamaica: I guess I never thought about this part when I had them so close together...

Salmon: Hey, we're keeping one of them, at least...wow, can you believe we survived raising 4 kids?

Jamaica: You know, some days I really can't...

Salmon: I love you, Jamaica. You know that, right?

Jamaica: I do...and I love you too.

 

 All right, everybody. Strap in. We've got a whole lot of wedding ahead of us.
 

Han: Hey, uncle Croix!

Croix: There's the man of the hour...or, one of them...how'd you talk this place into hosting three weddings at once?

Salmon: I don't know...Dad kind of arranged it all. He said he had to pull some strings, but he made it work. 
 

Alderaan: I love your dress. It's so...elegant.

Leia: I know, it's more conservative than most peoples, but...I don't know. It just seemed right.

Alderaan: It does seem to suit you. I can't believe my little cousin's getting married...

Leia: Just wait until it's Bahama...or Cori!

Alderaan: Don't let Cori hear you mention it. She wants to get married now! 

Leia: Aww. does she have a crush on a boy at school?

Alderaan: No, but with all these parties for other people recently I think she's feeling a little jealous...oh, look at the time! Come on, we've got to get outside...
 

All right, let's get this show on the road here... 
 


 


 

Ok, wedding number two! You're up!
 


 


 

And wedding number 3... 
 


 


 


 

Congratulations, guys...you all look great.



Alderaan: Come on, let me get you a congratulatory drink...

Bahama: Alderaan, slow down. We have the whole night ahead of us... 

Leia: Besides, I still have to say hello to about 30 more relatives...

Alderaan: All the more reason why we should hit the bar first!
 

 Jamaica: So, I'm surprised you didn't take your father up on his offer to be the mixologist...

Luke: Yeah...well, you know...it would have been weird working at my brothers' and sister's wedding.

Jamaica: I suppose...at least you can give the guy we hired some pointers, right?

Luke: Right...
 

 Poe: Dad? What are you doing in here?

Salmon: Oh, um...just needed a breather.

Poe: Well, the manager guy from the venue was looking for you...he seemed kind of mad.

Salmon: Oh...well, do your old man a favor. If they ask again...tell them I had to duck out early.

Poe: Dad...what did you do?

Salmon: I may have...lied on some of the reservation forms to avoid paying for three weddings...

Poe: Dad!

Salmon: What? It's not like that's the worst thing I've...er...I mean, it's just a formality. Places like this always try to cheat you out of money...we're only having one party. Who cares how many times we use the stupid arch, right?

Poe: I guess...
 

Leia: Luke! I've been trying to find you all night!

I'm not surprised it took you this long...I'm pretty sure you guys invited half the town.

Luke: Wow...

Leia: What?

Luke: It's just strange seeing my little sister in a wedding dress.

Leia: I know...believe me, it's strange seeing myself in a wedding dress. Luke...is it true what Han told me? Are you really...

Luke: I have to, Leia. It's the only way...

Leia: But Luke, he's your father...and he's not getting any younger. Is this really what you want your last memories of him to be?

Luke: Leia, he's just got some grey hair. He's not exactly on his deathbed yet.

Leia: Luke...I wish you'd reconsider. There's still good in him...

Where have I heard that before?


 Um, Salmon? Does the venue know...

Salmon: Not exactly...but they will in a few seconds...
 

 And on that explosive note, I think it's time for me to be moving on. Don't worry, I'll take care of all the moving arrangements for the happy couples. See you guys next round!
 

A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Whew! That's a lot of wedding! I had wanted to get this post up in time for "May the 4th be With You", but life kind of got in the way. Obviously, the game only lets you assign 1 bride and 1 groom (hence why Universe wasn't wearing an actual wedding dress), but given that I only have 1 Sim week with each family, having all three kids get married at the same party seemed like the most efficient route. And Leia's dress-while appropriate for her name-was actually plan B-I had another dress picked out for her but it glitched out once they got to the venue. I went back and forth about having her get married in the actual costume, but ultimately decided on something that was "Leia-esque" instead. 

1 comment:

  1. "But Luke, he's your father.." LOL, I see what you did there! :)

    I'm sorry I haven't commented much, but I really do enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete