Saturday, May 13, 2017

Doe 1: Round 15



Last round, things were finally starting to turn around for the Doe family. Mackerel and Christin's two children, Amethyst and Garnet, both grew from toddlers to children and started school. Garnet, though, began coming home with unexpected items in his backpack due to his kleptomaniac trait. Meanwhile, both parents continued to progress in their careers and slowly furnish their home.


Garnet: Dad? I need you to sign this letter for school...

Mackerel: Oh, ok...wait, why?

Garnet: I dunno. The principal wants all the parents to know something, I guess.

Mackerel: It says here that kids have had stuff stolen at school...you haven't had anything stolen, have you buddy?

Garnet: Nope! I'm smart enough to know not to bring my toys to school.


Christin: Honey, have you noticed anything...off about Garnet lately?

Mackerel: Well, no more than any other little boy...why, have you?

Christin: He just seems...different. I can't quite put my finger on why, though...

Mackerel: You worry to much, honey. Listen, take it from me. I have 3 older brothers. He's perfectly normal. Besides, he's a straight A student. Nothing can be that wrong.

Christin: I guess...


Mackerel: So how was school today, kids?

Amethyst: It was ok, I guess.

Garnet: Like, 10 kids got sent to the office today! The teacher was so mad!

Christin: Oh, my...what happened?

Amethyst: Someone's been stealing stuff from the school. They can't find out who did it, but every time it happens the teacher gets madder and madder. Now she thinks we all are stealing, so the whole class is always in trouble.

Garnet: Not me! I'm too smart!

Mackerel: Is that what the teacher said?

Garnet: Well, not exactly. But I know that's what she meant.


Christin: Garnet, do you want me to read you a story before bed?

Garnet: No, Mom! Go away! I'm busy experimenting!

Christin: Ok...just checking...


Wow, that was fast...


Garnet, we talked about this...

Garnet: What? I'm just borrowing it.

So, it's from the school library?

Garnet: Yeah...it was in the librarian's desk...

(sigh)


Garnet: Show off...

Amethyst: Hey, it's not my fault I actually decided to practice something.

Garnet: It's not my fault! Mom has to read to me for mine and she's always at work.

Amethyst: She's not always at work. You just spend all your time in your room on that dumb chemistry table.

Garnet: It's not dumb! I'm doing real science in there!

Amethyst: Yeah, sure...


Congratulations, Christin.

Christin: Thanks. This critic thing is finally starting to pay off.


Amethyst: Mom, the next time you go to review someplace, can Garnet and I go with you? Please?

Christin: I don't know...my next assignment is in the spice district in the city. I'm reviewing a bar-it's not really a place for kids.

Amethyst: We can just play outside the bar! We'll be good-I promise!

Christin: Well, it might be good for you guys to get out of the house. Ok, I'll take you two with me after school tomorrow.

Amethyst: Yes! Thanks, Mom!


Christin: Ok, now, you and your brother can go look around-but be careful! This is a big place with a lot of people. Stick with your brother, and don't go too far away.

Amethyst: Ok, mom...


Garnet, what are you doing?

Garnet: Will you leave me alone?

When you convince me you're not stealing people's stuff off the street, sure.

Garnet: Hey, they left it out here...


Amethyst: Hey, where'd you get that?

Garnet: Um...the library at school.

Amethyst: But...that's a grown up book. Our school library doesn't have those.

Garnet: Yeah it does...they're only for the big kids, though. That's why they've never let you see them.

Amethyst: You better not let Mom see that...


Luckily for Garnet, Christin seems to be a bit preoccupied reviewing drinks with Death at the moment...


Mackerel: Stupid computer...

So I guess that's the end of programming practice for today.

Mackerel: Yeah. Lousy timing, too. I was just about to finish this freelance project...


And I see we've moved from books to...dollhouse dolls?

Garnet: Shh! Quiet! I have to get this into Amethyst's dollhouse without her seeing.

You stole your sister a new doll?

Garnet: No! I just want to hide it there...


Amethyst: Athena? What's wrong?

Athena: Someone stole Mrs. Nisbit!

Who?

Athena: My favorite doll in the dollhouse at school! I went to play with her today at recess and she wasn't there!

Amethyst: Why would someone take a doll from the school dollhouse?

Athena: I don't know!

What does...um...Mrs. Nisbit look like?

Athena: She wears a pink dress and has a bow in her hair...

Amethyst: Don't worry, Athena. I'm sure someone just forgot to put her back. We'll find her tomorrow.


Amethyst: Hey...I don't remember this doll being here...

Is that the doll Athena was talking about?

Amethyst: I think it is...but how did it get here?

I think I have an idea...


Amethyst: Did you steal this from the classroom?

Garnet: No! You just forgot you already had that one. You're so spoiled you can't even remember what dolls you have...

Amethyst: Hey, I am not spoiled. And I know I didn't have this doll before. You did steal it, didn't you?

Garnet: Look, you have to promise me you won't tell...

Amethyst: But Garnet...

Garnet: Promise me! Or I'll just say that you stole them. 

Amethyst: Nobody will believe you!

Garnet: Why not? They're in your dollhouse.

Amethyst: Ok, ok...I won't tell...


Oh, good...it's been awhile since we've seen our buddy Marvin...

Amethyst: Monster!

Don't worry, I think your dad just got home...


Mackerel: There you go, sweetie. That monster should be all gone now. 

Amethyst: Thanks, Dad...hey, Dad? Can I ask you something?

Mackerel: Sure, honey...what's up?

Amethyst: Um...well...is it ever ok to not keep a promise?

Mackerel: Well, that depends on what the promise is...why?

Amethyst: Well I have this friend at school, and she thinks this other kid is doing something really bad...but the other kid made her promise not to tell.

Mackerel: Your friend, huh? Well, if I was your friend, I would tell the teacher anyway.

Amethyst: You would?

Mackerel: Uh-huh.

Amethyst: But what if the other kid gets her in trouble instead?

Mackerel: Well, is your friend doing anything wrong?

Amethyst: No...

Mackerel: Then she can't get in trouble, can she?


(sigh) Garnet...


Amethyst: Garnet, did you put another doll in my room?

Garnet: What are you complaining about? You're the one getting new toys out of this.

Amethyst: But I don't want you to steal them! Garnet, you're going to get in so much trouble!

Garnet: Not if nobody finds out...and the teacher doesn't suspect a thing! I could steal something with tons of people around and still nobody would know!


Like, at a birthday party?


Mackerel: So, what do you want to do...

Christin: I don't know...I mean, I guess I could try talking to him again, but...

Mackerel: Huh? I was talking about your birthday.

Christin: Oh...

Mackerel: What were you talking about?

Christin: Nothing, nothing...it's not important.


Christin: I guess the banquet hall would be nice.

Mackerel: Oh, good. I was worried you were going to say the bowling alley...


Salmon: Hey, Garnet! What's up! You still at it with that science station?

Garnet: Yup! I can make 4 kinds of potions now.

Salmon: You figure out how to make a potion to make you young again, you come tell me, alright?

Garnet: (laughs) Ok, Uncle Salmon...


Christin: Hi, boys!

Clam: Hi, aunt Christin!

Shark: Happy birthday!

Christin: Thank you. So, how are things at school?

Shark: Awful!

Clam: We keep losing recess every day because something else goes missing from the class.

Christin: So the whole class loses recess? That doesn't seem very fair.

Shark: It's not fair! But the teacher can't figure out who's stealing, so she has to punish everybody.

Clam: We all thought it was Max, but he's in high school now, so it can't be him.

Christin: Oh, my...well, I hope they figure it out soon.

Shark: Me too...

Clam: Aunt Christin, can we have cake now?

Christin: Soon, Clam. I promise.


Happy birthday, dear Christin...





Salmon: Those sure are some great kids you've got there, little brother.

Mackerel: Thanks, Salmon...

Salmon: That Garnet's a smart kid...kind of reminds me of me when I was his age.

Mackerel: Uh-huh...

Yeah, that's kind of what worries me...

Salmon: What was that?

Nothing, nothing...


Shark: Oh there's my Tentacle Tom...

Garnet: Oh, yeah, I was just...guarding it for you. 

Shark: How did he even get out here? I haven't been out here the whole time...

Garnet: Um....Clam moved it!

Shark: Ugh, figures. I keep telling him not to touch my stuff but he just doesn't listen.

Garnet: Yeah...I bet he's the one stealing from the class at school!

Shark: What? No way!

Garnet: I'm just saying...if he keeps taking your stuff...

Clam: Yeah, but that's just him being a little brother...I mean, doesn't Amethyst take your stuff when you're not looking?

Garnet: Uh...no! No, she never does...


Mackerel: Happy birthday, honey.

Christin: Thanks...

Mackerel: What's wrong? You don't seem very happy.

Christin: Mackerel, I think we need to talk about our son...

Well, as much as I would like to stay and listen to this conversation, it looks like the week's just about up. I've got to be on my way. I'll see you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: I am so glad that Garnet rolled the kleptomaniac trait, because otherwise I have no idea how I'd make these guys the least bit interesting. The game picks the weirdest items for him to swipe at school; first it was stacks of dirty plates, then it was books, then dolls from the dollhouse (which, when placed in the world separately, cannot be interacted with in any way. Hence why the doll Amethyst is holding doesn't match the one that Garnet swiped.) I also spent most of the week experimenting with what Garnet could and couldn't swipe; I initially wanted him to try and steal Shark's toy at the party, but there were way too many people around, and I don't want him to get caught until a little bit later. And yes, Grimmy really did just show up at the bar Christin was reviewing. It didn't really add anything to the story, but I had to include it because it was so absurd.

No comments:

Post a Comment