Saturday, May 6, 2017

Palmer 3: Round 15


Last round, the Palmer's found themselves down one daughter as their oldest Jessie graduated from high school and married her longtime boyfriend, Planet Kauker. Meanwhile, Blair aged into elderhood, and Riley struggled to find a love interest in high school.
 

Hey, Marlin.

Marlin: Oh, hi mysterious voice.

So I guess now that Jessie's moved out you've taken back over as the family chef?

Marlin: Yeah, but my cooking skills are a little rusty. Hopefully Riley's birthday cake comes out all right.

Birthday?
 

Ahh, I see. Her message must have popped up just before I left last time. Well, I'm glad you're on top of these things.
 

Scoping out new locations?

Riley: No...I was checking out some dating sites.

Dating sites? You guys have those?

Riley: Yeah, of course...

Well, you see anyone you like?

Riley: (sigh) No...
 

Blair: So, I figured we'd invite Jessie and Planet...and Madison and her kids...and your friend Sadness can come too...is there anyone else you'd like to have?

Riley: No, not really...

Blair: Come on...there has to be someone...a cute boy, maybe?

Riley: Mom, for the last time, I'm not seeing anyone! Not everyone gets married right out of high school, you know.

Blair: Well, I know, but Jessie...

Riley: I'm not Jessie! 

Pardon the interruption, but have you two given any thought as to where this little event is going to be?
 

Blair: Well, since the arcade is still closed down for some reason...I guess we'll have it here.

Riley: For some reason? Someone died in there mom.

Blair: Doesn't mean they have to shut the whole place down!
 

Blair: So, how's little...um...

Merida: Hank.

Blair: Right...Hank.

Merida: He's good. Getting better at walking every day. I feel like all I do now is chase him around the house so he won't break anything.

Nemo: Ha...yeah, I remember...

Blair: (sigh)

Nemo: You ok, Aunt Blair?

Blair: Well, I just wonder if I'm ever going to have any grandchildren...

Merida: Jessie's only been married for a little while. And Riley's just graduating. There's plenty of time.

Blair: Yeah, but...I don't know. You know Riley's never so much as brought a boy over for dinner?

Nemo: Can't imagine why...

Blair: What was that?

Nemo: Oh, nothing... 
 

Riley: Thanks for coming...

Jessie: Of course.

Riley: So, what do you think? Do I win the award for lamest birthday party now?

Jessie: I don't know...you do have one friend here...

Riley: Yeah, but you ended up meeting Planet at your lame party, remember.

Jessie: True...ok, yeah. I think you win. But don't worry. Once everyone else leaves I'm taking you out for a real party.

Riley: Jessie...

Jessie: I'm serious. You, me, and Sadness. We'll go to that nightclub in the historic district-it'll be fun.

Riley: Well...all right. I'll go.

Jessie: That's more like it. Come on, let's go do the cake and get this over with quicker.
 

Happy birthday, dear Riley...
 

Huh, family oriented. Haven't seen that one in awhile.
 

And of course, it's not a party until your elderly aunt wipes out on the slip-and-slide. You guys may want to sneak off to that nightclub now before anyone else injures themselves.
 

Sadness: Isn't this place great?

Riley: Um...yeah. Hey, I'm just going to go grab a couch for a second...it's kind of hard carrying around a bowl of chips on a dance floor.

Jessie: All right...we'll come find you later.
 

Riley: Mind if I sit here?

Candy: No, not at all...

Riley: I really like your hair...

Candy: Thanks. You're about the only one who does. My name's Candy, by the way.

Riley: Candy? Really?

Candy: Yeah, I know. What's yours?

Riley: I'm Riley.

Candy: Darn...I kind of hoped yours would be something weird too.

Well given some of the names around here it's not an entirely unrealistic expectation.

Candy: Um...who was that?

Riley: Oh...that was the mysterious voice.

Candy: Oh...well, listen, it's been nice chatting but I've got to get back to the dance floor. I'm supposed to be scoping out the DJ for my club...you heard of the Spin Masters?

Riley: Yeah, I think I saw the fliers around school...those were the ones with just a big pair of headphones and no writing, right?

Candy: I knew those were a bad idea...you ever done any DJ'ing?

Riley: Can't say that I have. I really don't spend much time at nightclubs...I'm only here because my sister and best friend wanted to take me out for my birthday.

Candy: Oh, happy birthday! And come on, I'll come show you how to work this place.
 

Candy: Watch this...oof!

Riley: Um....that was...great?
 

Candy: You don't have to lie to me...

Riley: No, really...I mean, it got everyone's attention.

Candy: Aww, you're sweet. Hey, let me give you my number...we should hang out again sometime.

Riley: Um...ok. Yeah, that would be great.
 

Blair: So...how was the nightclub? Did you meet anybody?

Riley: Well, yes...but we just talked for awhile.

Blair: See? I knew if you'd just put yourself out there you'd find someone. Talking is the first step you know.

Riley: Er...yeah...anyway, we're actually getting together today down at the arts center in the city.

Marlin: Oh, that sounds like fun...
 

Riley: Glad you could make it.

Candy: Oh, sure. You know, I've heard about this place but I've never been able to make it down here.
 

Candy: So, I guess you're really into art, huh?

Riley: Yeah. It's kind of a family thing...well, it's kind of my mom's thing. She's been a painter since she was my age.

Candy: Wow...I bet she's really good.

Riley: Yeah, I guess...

Candy: Do you paint too?

Riley: A little. I'm nowhere near as good as my mom, though.

Candy: I'm sure you are...
 

Well that escalated quickly.
 

Riley: Sadness? Hey, listen...we need to talk.
 

Sadness: Ok, sure...want to come over?

Riley: Yeah, I'll be right over.
 

Sadness: So where did you go the other night? Jessie and I never even saw you after you went upstairs.

Riley: Well, I...kind of met someone.

Sadness: Oh! I knew it! So, spill it. Who's the lucky guy?

Riley: Well that's kind of the thing I wanted to talk to you about...it's...um...not a guy.

Sadness: Huh?

Riley: Sadness...I think I'm falling in love with another girl.

Sadness: Oh...wait, that can happen?

Actually, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened before now.

Sadness: So, this is normal?

Yeah. No big deal.

Riley: Maybe for you...I just know my mom is going to freak.

Sadness: Maybe not...

Riley: Sadness, it's my mom...

Sadness: Oh, yeah...
 

Blair: So honey, if you want, I can put in a word for you down at the museum...

Riley: Museum?

Blair: You know, for a job? 

Riley: Oh...well, actually...

Marlin: Blair, don't rush her. Let her enjoy herself for a bit. Got any plans for today?

Riley: Actually...I was going to head down to GeekCon...

Blair: GeekCon? Oh...I see. Could you be meeting someone there?

Riley: Yeah, actually, I am...
 

Riley: Um...I should get going.
 

Candy: Hi!

Riley: Yeah, hi.
 

Candy: Listen, Riley...about yesterday...

Riley: No, it's ok.

Candy: Are you sure? Because you kind of freaked out a little bit.

Riley: Well, it was kind of unexpected...
 

 Candy: Listen, if it makes you feel better...this is the first time I've felt this way about anyone, boy or girl.

Riley: Me too...I never even dated anyone in high school.

Candy: Really? I have a hard time believing that.

Riley: No, it's true...my mother bugged me about it constantly.

Candy: She did?

Riley: Well, my sister Jessie started dating her husband pretty much as soon as she went into high school. And my mom seems to think that if Jessie did it, I should do it too.

Candy: Do you think they'd have a problem with...us?

Riley: Well, only one way to find out, right?
 

 Riley: Dad? Remember how I was telling you and Mom that I met someone that night out with Jessie?

Marlin: Yeah...

Riley: Well...this is Candy. 

Marlin: Candy...oh, so you just made a new friend.

Riley: No...Candy and I are...well, we're kind of a couple.

Marlin: Oh....well, I've never heard of that before, but I can't see the harm...

Let's hope Blair is just as open minded...

Marlin: I'm sure she will be...she's an artist, right?

Riley: Dad...it's Mom...
 

 Blair: What? But...how? They're both girls.

Marlin: Well, I guess it happened the same way you and I happened, dear. They met, they fell in love...

Blair: And you're OK with this?

Marlin: Yeah...you're not?

Blair: No! I'm sure this girl will be a very nice friend, but...

Marlin: Hey, even the mysterious voice doesn't think it's a big deal...

Blair: Oh, well of course! Nothing's a big deal to her!

Riley: Will you two stop? She's still standing right there!

Blair: How do you know? She's disembodied...

Marlin: She's talking about Candy, Blair. You know, the girl she brought over and you just insulted? I can't believe you! 
 

Marlin: Hey, can I talk to you for a second?

Riley: I think you've both talked enough...

Marlin: Listen, I want to apologize for your mom...

Riley: What?

Marlin: Candy seems like a very sweet girl...and I can tell that you two care about each other a lot. 
 

Candy: Oh...am I interrupting?

Marlin: Not at all. Actually, I'm glad you're here. Candy, we'd love it if you came and lived with us.

Candy: What?

Riley: What?

Marlin: I'm serious. It's just as much my house as it is your mothers'. And I'm making the decision that anyone you choose to love is welcome here.
 

Well, that settles that. Welcome to the family, Candy.
 

 Riley: So, everything unpacked?

Candy: Yeah, I travel pretty light. Just me and my guitar, you know?

Riley: Oh, you play guitar? I've never heard you play.

Candy: It's kind of a secret hobby of mine. The Spin Masters are all about dance music, but I really dig acoustic stuff too.

Riley: Maybe that might help you win over my mom...music is art, after all.
 

Candy: Well this is kind of different than I expected...

Riley: I know...

Well, one thing that isn't different is letting the mysterious voice get out of the room before you start!
 

And it looks like we get to have a birthday party in the middle of all this fun.
 

Blair: So, Candy, I guess you'll be joining us at my husband's birthday dinner?

Candy: Um...I think so...I mean, I don't have to work, so...

Blair: Oh, so you do have a job.

Candy: Yeah...I play guitar down at a lounge. 

Blair: Well that's better than nothing, I guess...
 

At least her sister is supportive.
 

(sigh) I guess congratulations are still due...

Blair: What's that supposed to mean?

Well to be honest, I'm not that thrilled with you right now.

Blair: Well maybe I'm not thrilled with you right now either. I know you have something to do with all this. Why else would Marlin be going along with it?

Um...because he wants to support his daughter?
 

Marlin: So, how are you two settling in? Anything you guys need?

Jessie: No, Dad. We're fine.

Candy: It's nice to meet the two of you...Jessie, I'm sorry I never got to meet you that night out at the club.

Jessie: It's ok. It all worked out for the best.
 

Planet: So Candy, you said you're a DJ?

Candy: Well, it's just a hobby, but...

Planet: That's so cool! I was just telling Jessie the other day that I wished we'd had a DJ at our wedding...do you get to wear one of those cool masks?

Candy: No, not usually...

 Blair: Let's just get the cake out here...
 

Happy Birthday, dear Marlin...
 

...And it looks like I forgot to get the "after" picture, but I can imagine it would feature grey hair and a bad back.
 

 Candy: Look, Riley, I don't want to come between you and your mom...from what you've told me you two used to be really close...

Riley: Yeah, we were. I have no idea why she's acting this way. She's always been a bit...overbearing, but never this downright rude. But I've made my choice, Candy. 
 


Riley: Candy, will you marry me?


I think she said yes!
 


Riley: Dad, I have something to tell you...Candy and I are getting married. 

Marlin: What...that's great!

Riley: It is?


Marlin: Are you kidding? Of course it is! We'll start planning the wedding right away!

 


 Alright, we're going from one party to another I guess...


Sadness: I can't believe you're getting married!

Riley: I know! It seems like just yesterday we were racing each other across the monkey bars.

Sadness: You both look great!
 

Candy: Mr. Palmer? I just wanted to thank you again for letting me move in with you. I know Mrs. Palmer doesn't exactly love the idea, but...

Marlin: First of all, call me Dad. My last name is actually Hannon, but still...And don't worry about Riley's mom. She can get a bit over dramatic at times, but you'll see. She'll come around. She always does.
 

Alright, let's get this wedding on the road...
 


 


 

You know, I'd make a "Blue Man Group" joke, but seeing as how Buzz is the only guy...
 


Blair: How long does it take to get one lousy drink...

Marlin: Blair, come on. We both know this can't really be bothering you that much You were pressuring her to date from the minute she became a teenager.  

Blair: I know that. You think I don't know that?

Marlin: So what's the big deal about her marrying another girl? You can't tell me this is all that different from Jessie's wedding.

Blair: But it is different, Marlin. It just is...


Candy: Huh...

Riley: Are you critiquing the DJ booth?

Candy: I just wanted to get a closer look.

Riley: Come on, Spin Master. It's time to cut the cake. 
 

 Candy: Hey, this is actually pretty good.

Riley: I told you, my dad had to learn to cook before...wait, what's that noise?
 

"That noise" would be people in suits of armor...but I have no idea why...
 

Oh, no...I forgot this place is technically a bar...
 

Madison: You booked the venue for Knight Night?

Blair: Why not? It was cheaper...

Madison: Blair! There's 10 people in knight costumes crashing your daughter's wedding!
 

Jessie: Here you are...I've been looking everywhere for you.

Riley: I can't go back out there...this is so embarrassing!

Jessie: It's not as bad as you think, Riley.

Riley: Jessie, my wedding's being crashed by people in knight suits.

Jessie: Yeah, but people don't really seem to mind.
 

She's actually right...they don't seem to be making much of a difference.
 

 Riley: That's not the point, Jessie....

Jessie: Look, just...say they're part of the theme.

Riley: What theme? We don't have a theme...

Jessie: Well, one of your colors is silver...why not go with that?
 

Candy: Your kids are adorable...and so well behaved.

Adrianna: Thank you. Speaking of which, any plans for you two expanding your new little family?

Candy: Are you kidding? Riley's itching for a baby...she actually put in the paperwork with the orphanage right after I moved in. With any luck we should be matched with a baby in a few days.

Adrianna: That's so great! You'll have to let us know so the twins can come over and meet them. I'm sure they'd make great babysitters, right Athena?

Athena: Eh, ok...but I'm not changing any diapers. 
 

 Sadness: You're still hiding in here?

Riley: Yeah...I just can't face anybody out there right now. I'm so angry at my mother.

Sadness: You know nobody cares about the knights, right?

Riley: It's not just the knights. She keeps acting like this isn't my real wedding. Like Candy and I are just pretending.

 

Blair: Where did your sister disappear to?

Jessie: She's upset about our unexpected guests.

 Blair: About what? The knights? I was just trying to save us a little money.

Marlin: Blair, we've been saving for the girls' weddings since they were born. We had enough money to rent the venue on a non-themed night. You know that.

Blair: What, like I'm going to throw that much money away on this? Now, when she has a real wedding...

Marlin: She's having a real wedding, Blair. Right now.

Jessie: Mom, what's going on with you? There's no difference...

Blair: There is a difference, Jessie. 


 So? Any matches?

Riley: Yes...I head down to pick her up this afternoon. I'm so nervous...
 

Wait...Nestle? Well, I guess you guys had to move on to your own naming theme eventually. 
 

She doesn't exactly seem thrilled to be here, but she is adorable. 
 

 Riley: Candy...meet your new daughter.
 

 Candy: Oh, my...can I hold her?

Riley: Of course! She's half yours...well, you know what I mean.
 

 Candy: Hi, Nestle...I'm your mommy...well, I'm one of your mommys. 
 

Riley: You know, most grandmothers are a little more excited when their first grandchild comes home. 

Blair: Eh, she's cute enough, I guess...you're going to have to keep a name tag on her, though. Otherwise, how will anyone know she belongs here?

Riley: What? Mom...I can't even...

Blair: What? It's true.

Riley: What about you and Aunt Madison, huh?

Blair: What about us?

Riley: Well, you two didn't exactly fit into your family either.

Blair: No, we didn't. And I wouldn't wish that feeling on any child, let alone my own granddaughter.  
 

 Riley: Ok, Mom, listen...I've had just about enough of this. Like it or not, Candy is my wife. I know it's different, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. You of all people should know that!

Blair: What?

Riley: All my life I've had to listen to you go on and on about how people should accept you for who you are. Well, now you have to accept me for who I am. 

Blair: Why do you think I went on about that so much in the first place, huh? Riley, from the moment both of you were born, I made a promise to myself that neither one of you would feel anything but proud of how you looked. And for you to go to this length to avoid passing it on...

Riley: You think I married Candy to avoid passing on your alien genes?

Blair: Well, why else would you...

Riley: Because I love her! How's that for a start? You know, there's more ways to be different than appearance, Mom. 

Blair: Of course...I know that, but...

Riley: Do you? Because it seems to me like you'd rather have had a couple of clones than kids!
 

 Blair: Riley? I've...um...I've been doing some thinking, and you're right. It doesn't matter who you marry, or what your kids look like. You're my daughter, they're my grandchildren. And I'm sorry for the way I've been acting.

Riley: Wow. What brought on this change?

Blair: Riley, did I ever tell you about Reginald?

Riley: Who's Reginald?

Blair: He was...well, he wasn't exactly our uncle, but...well, he lived with us when we were growing up. And he...wasn't exactly the nicest person.

That's the understatement of the year.

Riley: What do you mean? Did he...hit you or anything?

Blair: No, no...nothing like that. But he seemed to take a lot of pleasure in making us feel really lousy about how we looked. About how different we were. Every time I think about him, I get so angry...And that's not how I want you or Nestle to remember me. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?

Riley: Well...I think I hear Nestle crying upstairs. I'd get her, but I don't want to leave the grill...

Blair: Say no more. I've got it.
 

Blair: Hey, baby. I'm your grandma...you know, I think you'll fit in fine around here. Don't worry, we'll get a paintbrush in your hand soon enough.
 

And despite all the drama it looks like we get to end the week on a good note! Enjoy baby Nestle, guys. I'll see you all next round!
 

A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Wow, that was a hard one to write. I honestly don't know why I haven't had a same-sex couple in Tranquility Creek before now. Riley and Candy are really cute together. And as much as I didn't like making Blair the unaccepting parent, I figured that if there's any Sim in this town who would make a big deal out of nothing, it's her. I was initially going to stretch her coming to accept Riley and Candy out over multiple rounds but...let's just say time is of the essence with Blair. The knights cashing the wedding was not planned-I really wish EA would include a "wedding venue" designation for lots or turn off the themed nights when you're throwing an event on them. And yes, these guys are switching their naming theme. I only kept the Pixar theme for Jessie and Riley's generation, since Jessie was technically born in the original Palmer house. (It should be easy to guess this new one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment