Monday, May 1, 2017

Lytle 1: Round 15



Last round, the Lytle household turned into something of a dating service as brothers Forest, Hunter, and Pine all tried to find girlfriends. By the end of the week, second son Forest had met and married Anna Belle and was out on his own. Meanwhile, younger sister Emerald continued to develop her motor skills, and Nimbus aged to an elder.


Hey, Emerald.

Emerald: Hi mysterious voice! Check out what I can do!


Wow, nice going! Looks like we're starting this week off on a good note...


Oh, hi Moss.

Moss: Hi, mysterious voice. Just dropping by to check up on things.

Hunter: Dude, things are fine...

Moss: How's everything going with that girl?

Hunter: Oh, Leigh? It's...fine. We're actually going into the city today.

Wait, let me guess...



Uh-huh...you guys sure love your bargain shopping.


Leigh: I'm so excited! Come on, let's go check it out...

Hunter: (sigh) Ok...

Leigh: What's wrong?

Hunter: There's just...a lot of people here. That's all.

Leigh: Well of course there's a lot of people. It's a flea market...hey, come on. Let's sit in the bar for a minute.

It's 10AM, Leigh.

Leigh: Exactly. It'll be quiet in there.


Hunter: Sorry, Leigh...I just get kind of overwhelmed with a lot of strangers around.

Leigh: Oh...well, that's ok. We can hang out here for a little while...

Hunter: But I know you really wanted to check out the market.

Leigh: It clears out a bit in the afternoon. And I can think of some things we can do to pass the time...


Yeah, that's one way to spend the morning.


Hunter: Hey, this is actually kind of fun...you know, now that we can move...hey, check out this thing...

Leigh: You want a giant pink lamp?

Hunter: Not for me...for Emerald. You know it's almost her birthday...maybe this might be a nice present for her.

Leigh: Aww, that's so sweet.


Hunter: Hey, where'd you get so good at this?

Leigh: You know, around...I had to keep up with you, didn't I?


Hunter: Want to come over for my birthday?

Leigh: No way! It's my birthday too. Small world, huh?

Yeah, funny how that always lines up.


Leigh: Are you sure you don't want to have a real party?

Hunter: No, I'm still recovering from the flea market. This is enough.


Happy birthday, dear Hunter...


Well, that neat trait will come in handy...


Now it's Leigh's turn...Happy birthday, dear Leigh...


...

Leigh: Aren't you supposed to say something?

Well, I can't see your last trait, so...congratulations?


Hunter: Mom said you can spend the night in the guest room if you want...since we didn't get the cake ready until so late.

Leigh: That sounds great! I'm beat...


Hunter: Sorry, the bed's not very comfortable...but it's good enough for one night.

Leigh: Well, what if it wasn't just for one night?

Hunter: Huh?

Leigh: Well, do you think your parents would be ok if...I lived here? Just until we're on our feet?

Hunter: Really?


Hunter: Leigh, are you sure? That's a lot of moving.

Leigh: I'm sure. I don't have that much to move anyway.

Hunter: Well, I think my mom would be ok with it...she's kind of got pre-emptive empty nest syndrome right now.

Leigh: Great! But remember, it's just until we can get out on our own.


Hunter: Leigh, you really don't have to watch me fix the sink...I'm sure there's something more interesting you could be doing.

Leigh: I just...like being around you, that's all. Don't worry, I'm not bored.


Hunter: Leigh...there's something I want to ask you...


Hunter: Will you marry me?





I think she said yes!


And since you're about to be a married man, it's about time you got a job.

Hunter: No problem. I've been studying for this.





So, bowling or arcade?

Emerald: Arcade! I can't wait to try out the BlickBlock machine.


Emerald: I like your hat.

Hosnian: Thanks. I like your dots.

Huh, you two are pretty cute together. I'll have to remember that.


Happy birthday, dear Emerald...


Hey, that's a new aspiration...


Although it looks like you took your party fashion advice from Pine.

Pine: Hey, I heard that.


Oh, come on...Hunter liked my joke. Right, Hunter...Hunter....


Oh crap....I forgot that was a thing...Ok, I can fix this...Leigh, quick! Go plead with Grimmy!

Leigh: What? Why me?

Because you have the highest relationship with him...I think that's how this works.

Leigh: You think?


Leigh: Please don't take him...we just got engaged! We have a whole life together...


Ok, I guess that didn't work...

Leigh: You think?


And as an added bonus, we've apparently traumatized every child in town...

Emerald: This is the worst birthday ever!


Well I'm glad somebody's having fun...


Oh, great timing...


Charley, I'm so sorry...

Charley: I should have been there...why didn't I take off from work?

Charley, there's nothing you could have done. Leigh tried to plead...it didn't work.

Charley: It just doesn't feel real. I'm supposed to go before him...before any of them...


Nimbus: And how are you doing today?

Nimbus? Who are you talking to?

Nimbus: Oh, just my plants...

Alright, so we have one parent sobbing and one talking to vegetables. This...is going to be a long week.


Leigh: I'm so sorry...if I hadn't told him that last joke...

Nimbus: Leigh, it's not your fault...listen, you can stay here as long as you want, honey.

Leigh: Really?

Nimbus: Really. Hunter chose you...so, as far as I'm concerned, you're family.

Leigh: Thanks, Mr. Lytle...I just...I don't want to be away from him yet.

Nimbus: I know, honey. I know.


Pine: Leia!

Leia: Pine, I came over as soon as I heard...


Pine: It's just so...weird. Like, I know everybody dies eventually but...he just graduated, Leia!

Leia: I know, Pine. I know.

Pine: And I just keep sitting in here thinking about him...you know, we used to share this room. (laughs) And I used to complain that it was so cramped but now...it just feels too empty. 

Leia: Oh, honey...I'm so sorry...I just wish there was something I could do.

Pine: (sigh) Just having you here is helping. Just...can we just sit here for a while?

Leia: Of course.


Pine: Thanks for coming over, Leia...

Leia: If there's anything you need, Pine...I'm here, ok? Just remember that.

Pine: I know...but you know, Leia? With everything going on...well, there's something I don't want to put off anymore...


Well, there's one good thing that happened this week.


And at least these guys have a lot of supportive family and friends.


Emerald: Thanks for inviting me out, Universe. I really needed to get out of the house.

Universe: Of course. How are you doing, sweetie?

Emerald: Ok...I guess. Sometimes...

Universe: It's ok, honey. You can tell me. I'm your favorite cousin, remember?

Emerald: Fine, I'm not OK at all. I keep trying to be OK, for Mom and Dad, you know? But...I just miss him so much!

Universe: Of course you do. He was your big brother. I can't imagine how I'd feel if Galaxy or Planet had died.

Emerald: And I just keep trying to act OK, you know? For Mom and Dad. But every time I look at Mom...just seeing how much she's hurting...Dad too.

Universe: What about Pine?

Emerald: He has Leia, at least. She's been over almost every day since it happened. Actually, we're becoming pretty good friends now too.

Universe: What about Leigh? Where's she staying now?

Emerald: With us. Dad told her she could stay as long as she needed to.

Universe: That was nice of him.

Emerald: Yeah, I guess...but, it's kind of weird, you know? This wasn't how it was supposed to be. They were supposed to move out. They were supposed to...(sobs)

Universe: It's ok, Emerald...

Emerald: No it's not! He was my big brother, Universe! When I was little and had a bad dream, he was the one who came in and gave me a hug before anyone else...


Emerald: And he was the one who would spend hours teaching me the names of dinosaurs...


Emerald: And now...you know, I used to think that maybe he didn't like me anymore? Once he started high school, and I was still a kid. I just wish I could have known it was coming, you know? So I could have had a chance to tell him how much I loved him...if only I hadn't chosen to go the stupid arcade...



Universe: Emerald, honey...it's not your fault. It was an accident. And I know that Hunter knew how much you loved him. 

Emerald: You think so?

Universe: I know so...

Emerald: Thanks, Universe. This...helped. I know it doesn't look like it, but it did.

Universe: The talking or the nectar?

Emerald: (laughs) Both, I guess.

Universe: Listen, don't be afraid to call, alright? We're right down the road if you need anything.

Emerald: Thanks, Universe...


Yeah, I think I can be forgiven for missing this one.


Sorry, Charley.

Charley: (sigh) I don't even care...there's nothing to celebrate around here anyway.


(Sigh) As if this week couldn't get any worse...

Emerald: I'm sorry...I was just trying to grill a veggie burger!

At 6AM?


(sigh) Alright, I guess this one we can't skip.


Hey, Moss. Hey, Forest.

Moss: Hi, mysterious voice.

What are you two doing here?

Forest: We came by for Pine's birthday...but we're also kind of working on a surprise for Mom.

Really? It looks like you're watching a soccer game.

Moss: Well, we took a break. But we're looking at things we can put in the yard...you know, as sort of a memorial for Hunter.

Oh, like a tree?

Forest: Well, we know that's what most people do, but...well, there's enough plants here already. We were thinking of a statue, but that felt a little too much like a cemetery.

Moss: How about a well?

Forest: A what?

Moss: You know, what they used to get water from in the old days. They have one here...it's kind of weird looking, but...

Forest: Oh, yeah...that might look nice back there. And now that Emerald's grown up we can take the monkey bars down-there'll be plenty of space.

Moss: Alright, let's go for it.

And I guess I get the honor of setting this thing up?

Forest: Eh...if you don't mind...you know, for our mom...

Alright, alright...but after the cake.


Happy birthday, dear Pine...


And Pine finally gets his second trait!

Pine: About time, too.



Really? Of all the people to get abducted? Hasn't she been through enough?


Leigh: Ow!

???: Nice landing.

Leigh: Huh? Who said that?


Hunter: Welcome back.

Leigh: Hunter? How...wait, did the aliens...am I dead?

Hunter: No, honey. 


Hunter: So this is my brothers' fabulous gift to my mom...it's so tacky.

Leigh: That's what I said...oh, Hunter...I miss you so much! I'm so sorry...

Hunter: Sorry? Leigh, it wasn't your fault. You did everything you could.

Leigh: I just wish there was something...some way to bring you back...


Hunter: Wish, huh? Well, we are standing next to a well.

Leigh: Oh, Hunter...that's just a superstition...

Hunter: Hey, it can't hurt, right? I mean, I'm already dead...what else could happen to me?


Hunter: Whoa! What's happening?

I...I think it might be working!


Yes!

Hunter: I'm alive?


Leigh: Hunter! You're back!

Hunter: I...I am...I am back.

Leigh: Everybody! Come quick! It's a miracle!


Charley: My...my baby! You're back! But...how?

Hunter: I'm not entirely sure myself, Mom...


Nimbus: Hunter? But...how?

Charley: Oh, it doesn't matter! The important thing is you're back!

Nimbus: Well, what are we all standing around for? We've got a wedding to plan!






Nimbus: You guys look great...

Hunter: Thanks, Dad...


Alright, let's get this wedding on the road.








AndI don't think I've ever been so happy to take a family photo...


You guys hired a DJ?

Nimbus: After everything that's happened lately, I think we've earned it.

You know, I think you might be right...


Emerald: Glad to have you back, big brother.

Hunter: Glad to be back, sis. Hey, I never got to ask...did you like the lamp?

Emerald: I thought that was from you...I love it. 

Hunter: You be sure to come and visit, ok? My kids are going to need a cool aunt.

Emerald: I will...just...take care of yourself, ok? Seriously? That whole dying thing was so not cool.

Hunter: Don't worry, Emerald. I don't plan on doing it again.



Well, it looks like we get to end on a good note too. Enjoy the party, guys. You've earned it. I'll see you next round...


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Wow...so, yeah. Quite the eventful week. This is actually the first non-old age death I've had in TS4. I obviously knew that emotional deaths in TS4 were a thing, but I didn't notice that Hunter had slipped into the "hysterical" emotion until it was too late. (I kind of wish they would give you a warning message like they do with old age.) I also didn't know that pleading with Grimmy in TS4 is not relationship based-it was in TS2, which is why I had Leigh try. At least this gave me a use for the stupid wishing well pack-this is actually the first time I used the wishing well. (I really wanted to resurrect Hunter within the same week, so there was no time to get Ambrosia-and it was too late for the Book of Life.) In the interest of full disclosure, I did use testing cheats to add Hunter's ghost to the family...for some reason the option to invite him wasn't showing up. But I will say, having to write these guys grieving really helped me figure them out a little more-especially Emerald.

No comments:

Post a Comment