Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Kauker 1: Round 15




Last round, Arielle and Cirrus realized that they were rapidly out-aging their alien son, Asteroid. Concerned that they might eventually pass away before he grew up, they asked their daughter Universe to stay in the house as well. It took some convincing, but eventually Universe agreed. (Convincing her new boyfriend Poe to move in with her didn't hurt.) Meanwhile, middle child Planet grew to a young adult.


Universe: Hey, Asteroid! Were you a good boy at daycare while we were at the wedding?

You know, if he's there until 2AM can you really call it "daycare"?


Cirrus: Ow! Stupid treadmill...

Cranked it a little too high?

Cirrus: Yeah, I guess...

Or it could be that you're running at 2AM.

Cirrus: Yeah, I...um...read a study somewhere that that's the best time to workout. Something about your body being primed for fat-burning or muscle building or something like that...

Uh-huh...so, is everybody here alright since...you know...

Cirrus: If you're going to ask about Hunter, yes, we're all fine. It's behind us now, Hunter's back, safe and sound. We can all move on.


Cirrus: Besides, we have other things to attend to. 


So, I take it we're not going back to the arcade for awhile.

Universe: No way. We couldn't even if we wanted to...it's being shut down for investigation.

Of what?

Universe: Well, healthy young adults don't just keel over for no reason. There had to be something wrong with that place. And until they find what it is, they don't want anybody going in there.

I see. So, bowling alley it is.


Poe: Hey...

Universe: Hey yourself. Sorry I haven't called much...it's been kind of crazy around here lately.

Poe: Yeah, sorry to hear about your cousin...but...it's good that he's OK now.

Universe: Yeah. Who would have thought that whole "wishing well" thing would really work?


Cirrus: So, how have you guys been since the wedding?

Moss: Oh, you know. More of the same.

Cirrus: Have either of you...checked in on your brother?

Forest: Hunter? I called him a couple times. He and Leigh are still getting settled.

Moss: Yeah, we've been giving them their space. Getting a new house up and running is no easy task...

Marylin: You can say that again.

Cirrus: But...he's alright, though? I mean, he seemed ok at the wedding, but...

Forest: Yeah, he seems OK. I know what you mean, though. That was a really close call.


Happy birthday, dear Universe...


Well, that last trait will certainly help with the painting.


Planet: Hey, little sister! You trap that monster yet?

Universe: Very funny. I'm so glad you could come!

Planet: Wouldn't have missed it...


Cirrus: So Poe, how much longer until you're out of school?

Poe: Not much longer...

Arielle: Well, we're really looking forward to having you join our family.

Poe: Really? Er...I mean, I'm looking forward to it too.


Universe: Emerald!

Emerald: Hey, Universe...Happy Birthday!

Universe: Thanks!

Emerald: Hey, listen...thanks again for dinner last week.

Universe: It was nothing. I'm just glad everything worked out.

Emerald: Yeah, me too...having my brother back...it's amazing.

Universe: Where is he? I was hoping he'd show up...

Emerald: Oh, well, he was going to but...Leigh convinced him that it wasn't a good idea. You know, the last time he was at a party didn't go so well.

Universe: Oh...yeah, it's probably better that he rest anyway.


Arielle: Hey, buddy...did you have a good time in the playroom?

Asteroid: Wanna stay!

Arielle: No, Asteroid. We can't stay. Come on, you have blocks at home.

Asteroid: No! Want these blocks!

Arielle: Asteroid, they're exactly the same.

Asteroid: No!!

And I see Asteroid is just as agreeable as ever...


Cirrus: Alright, buddy. That's enough stories for tonight.

Asteroid: No! One more!

Cirrus: (sigh) All right, one more...but then it's right to sleep.



Thankfully it looks like Asteroid's toddler years are about to be behind us...


Universe: Hey, you're getting to be a pretty good dancer, buddy.

So, Universe, I can't help but notice that your attitude towards Asteroid has changed a bit this week.

Universe: Yeah, the little guy is growing on me.

Does the talk you had with Emerald have anything to do with that?

Universe: Maybe. I can't say listening to her talk about her and Hunter didn't make me think. I never want him to think I don't love him...even if he does drive me nuts.


So, no big party?

Cirrus: Well, I'm not sure what we could do. Asteroid can't bowl, we can't bring him to a restaurant, and the arcade, well, it's still closed for investigation...it just makes more sense just to do it here.


Happy birthday, dear Cirrus...




Cirrus: Ow!

I swear you guys should start baking aspirin into the cakes.


Although that would make the cakes harder to share...Happy birthday, dear Asteroid...


And looks like he pretty much did a 180 in the trait department.


Universe: Gahh...how are you so good at this already? 

Asteroid: I don't know...

Universe: Must be an alien thing...

Asteroid: A what? What's an alien?


Asteroid: Dad...what's an alien?

Cirrus: What? 

Asteroid: Universe and I were playing chess before...and she thinks the reason I'm so good at it is because I'm an alien. I think it should have made me mad, but I don't know what an alien is so I can't be sure.

Cirrus: Oh...well, an alien is a person...or...creature...that comes from another planet.

Asteroid: Wow...wait, so I'm from another planet? Did you come get me in a rocket ship?

Cirrus: Well, no....you were born right here.

Although to be fair, there was a spaceship involved...

Cirrus: I wasn't really looking to get into that part yet...



Arielle: Your paintings are getting so good, honey!

Universe: Thanks, Mom.

Arielle: Are you going to apply for a job down at the museum?

Universe: Maybe, someday. But I kind of like doing the freelance thing for now.

Arielle: Well, you won't hear me complaining. I love having you home...thank you so much for staying, sweetheart.

Universe: Of course, Mom. I'm sorry I put up such a fight. I...I get it now. Especially since Hunter, you know?


Um...nice going, I think.

Cirrus: Yeah, I don't know what it is either.


Arielle: Have a good day at work, honey.

Cirrus: You too...you go and show those kids who's boss.

Arielle: (laughs) It is a little silly, isn't it? Making a living playing video games at my age. I'm going to have to think about retiring soon-these late nights are really starting to get tough.


Universe: Mom...can I talk to you? I'm kind of worried about Dad...

Arielle: I guess you've heard him getting up at night.

Universe: Yeah...he just hasn't been himself ever since...

Arielle: Hunter. It's because of what happened to Hunter. I'm sure of it.

Universe: How can you be so sure?

Arielle: Well, when you're married as long as we've been, you just know these things. And because what happened to Hunter scared the living daylights out of me. Losing one of you kids...well, it's just about the worst thing I can imagine... I've been waking up too, you know. I just haven't been stumbling around the house like Bigfoot.

Universe: Has Dad said anything to you about...

Arielle: Of course not. He just wants to put it behind us all and move on...and talking about it just makes that harder. 


Um...ok, I have no idea what that is, but congratulations!

Arielle: Thanks!


Arielle: Cirrus? What are you doing up? It's past midnight.

Cirrus: Just getting a quick snack, honey. That's all.

Arielle: Of blackened bass? You know, we have yogurt...

Cirrus: Well, I want to eat it before it goes bad.

Arielle: Cirrus...come on. You've been up every night this week. What's going on?


Cirrus: I swear, Ari...nothing is going on. I'm just having a hard time sleeping lately. I've got all this stress at work, and with getting older...it's taking a toll. That's it.

Arielle: Listen, Cirrus...what happened to Hunter...

Cirrus: This isn't about Hunter! Hunter's fine. I'm fine. We're all fine. Now, can we please get some sleep? I've got an early day at the office tomorrow.

Arielle: (sigh) If that's what you want...


Universe: Here, Dad. I brought you some coffee.

Cirrus: Oh, honey, you didn't have to meet me at the door.

Universe: Dad, I've heard you get up the past four nights. I know you're not sleeping.

Cirrus: It's nothing, Universe. I promise. It just...happens when you get old.

Universe: Dad...about...about Hunter...

Cirrus: I don't want to talk about it, Universe. It's over. It's done. Besides,  I have to go check on my stocks...is your mother off the computer yet?

Universe: Yes, she went to work an hour ago.

Cirrus: Good...and why are you still in your pajamas?

Universe: I haven't...never mind. 


Kimberly: So, are you like, really an alien?

Asteroid: I think so...

Kimberly: What planet are you from?

Asteroid: I don't know, really. I mean, I was born on this one. So I guess I'm from here.

Kimberly: But if you were born here, than you're not really an alien. You just look like one.

Asteroid: Huh...I never thought about that...maybe I'm not an alien. But then...what am I?

Kimberly: I dunno. A blue person?


Cirrus: And they lived happily ever after. The end. Alright, Asteroid. It's time for bed.

Asteroid: Can't I stay up with you?

Cirrus: Er...what are you talking about? I don't stay up...

Asteroid: Yes you do. Every night. I hear you. If you get to only pretend to go to bed then so do I...

Cirrus: Oh, no son. I'm just...getting a midnight snack. That's all. Tell you what...the next time I wake you up, I'll share it with you. But you have to promise to really go to sleep... no waiting up for me. Deal?

Asteroid: Deal!


Universe: Of course! Breakfast sounds great!


Universe: Thanks for inviting me out...I didn't think we were going to see each other until you graduated too.

Poe: Are you kidding? I can't stay away from you for that long.


Poe: So, how have you been? It's weird not seeing you around school.

Universe: It's even weirder not being at school...to be honest, I've been better.

Poe: What's up?

Universe: It's just...this whole thing with my cousin. I know he's fine now, but just the idea that something like that could even happen...I just keep thinking...what if, you know? What if that happens to me? Or you? Or...


Poe: Universe, that's not going to happen. It was a freak accident. It's not like this kind of thing happens every day...

Universe: But it could, Poe. And I never knew that before, but now that I do...I just can't stop thinking about it.

Poe: That must be pretty scary...thinking about that stuff all the time.

Universe: Yeah...

Poe: Well, for what it's worth, I'd think it be even less likely that something like that happens again now. I mean, did you see all the investigations they're doing into the arcade? They're testing the air, the water, the food...and I hear they're doing the same thing at other places. Universe, you're not any less safe than you were before. Neither is anybody else.

Universe: You're right...I know you're right...I just...can't think that way right now. Ugh...can you just hurry up and graduate so you can move in already?

Poe: Trust me, I'm working on it...


Asteroid: Hi, Dad...

Cirrus: Shouldn't you be in bed, kiddo?

Asteroid: Remember, you promised...

Cirrus: (sigh) Yeah, you're right. Here, have a chip.

Asteroid: Thanks, Dad...

Well, while you two enjoy your snack, I'm going to go ahead and move on to the next house. I'll see you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Pretty uneventful compared to the last post, I know. (But then again, most posts are uneventful compared to that one.) I really cannot wait to get to the Bernard house and get Poe and Leia out of high school. Universe was just kind of awkwardly waiting around for most of the week. Her painting skill is getting pretty high, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment