Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Flenderson 1: Round 16



Last round was an eventful one for the Flendersons. It began with a double birthday for younger daughter Lorelei and Aldo. To celebrate, the family went to the humor and hijinks festival, but that evening went downhill once Misty discovered Aldo had joined the hijinks side of the festivities. Still, she managed to earn another promotion in the politics career by expanding her promises to potential voters. At the end of the week, the family's older daughter, Erica, grew to a teenager and Aldo and Misty finally tied the knot.


Hi, Erica...whoa, looks like someone's been doing some redecorating.

Erica: Yeah, I finally convinced Mom to ditch the pink walls in here...

What about Lorelei?

Erica: What about her? This was my art room. Besides, we just moved her bedroom to the second floor. She's got her own playroom down here now too.


Misty: So...what do you think of your new room?

Lorelei: It's ok...it's smaller than the room downstairs, though.

Misty: I know, but think about it this way. Now you have that whole room downstairs to have people come over and play, just like Erica has her room downstairs. And now we can get you your own art table and block table..

Lorelei: Really?

Misty:  Yeah. You want to have a few friends over tomorrow and break it in?

Lorelei: Ok! I'll go call everybody now!


Aldo: Hey, I got you something today...you know, for playing piano at the wedding. I know that wasn't fun for you.

Erica: A blank book?

Aldo: It's called a journal. You can write in it. The lady at the store said that teenagers like them...

Erica: Oh, thanks...I guess that's kind of cool. Did you get anything else while you were out?


Aldo: Yeah! Check it out. I was walking by the gym, and this lady was giving out free earbuds! I have no idea what those are, but still...free stuff!


Aldo...ALDO!

Aldo: Huh? Did you say something?

Well, I guess those earbuds work...


Whoa! It's a party in here!

Misty: Yeah, I told Lorelei she could invite a few friends over to show off her new playroom.


Erica: Mom...when are all these kids going to go home? They've been here for hours already.

Misty: Oh, Erica, relax. You were a kid once. Besides, you could have invited someone over too...you know, it wouldn't hurt you to expand your social circle a bit.

Erica: Not this again...I already told you, Mom. I have plenty of friends.

Misty: I know. But proper socialization is important...it says so in chapter 5...

Chapter 5...wait, let me guess. You guys found the parenting books too?

Misty: Oh, yes. It's wonderful. I wish I'd had it earlier...although I do wish they'd at least acknowledge the toddler issue. Whoever wrote them is obviously unaware of the risks...

Erica: Ok, I'm going back to my room now...I can't listen to this speech again.


Looks like Lorelei is living up to her social butterfly aspiration...although you might want to discourage your friends from spilling stuff all over the yard.


Wait...isn't Betta grounded?

Erica: Huh? What's grounded?


(clears throat)

Betta: Oh, great...you brought the voice with you.

Yes, she did. Aren't you supposed to be grounded?

Betta: Technically, yes...but just from using my phone. I messaged Erica from my computer.

Uh-huh...very sneaky.

Erica: Wait...what's "grounded" mean?

Betta: Ugh...it's this new thing my mom made up. I can't use my phone because I stayed out too late...it's so unfair.

Erica: Where did she learn that?

Betta: Where else? Those stupid...

Erica: Parenting books...yeah, my mom just found them too. I swear some fairy must have delivered them to all the houses...

Betta: Well, take it from me...if your mom starts throwing around the word "curfew" you'd better think twice before going out at night. Grounding sucks.

Erica: Oh, come on...it can't be that bad. After all, you could still come here.

Betta: Yeah, I guess...but who knows what else is in those books?


Aldo...ALDO!!

Aldo: Huh? Did you say something?

Your phone is ringing...

Aldo: What? The bone is singing?

(sigh)


Aldo: Oh...well, you know, usually her mother makes these kind of decisions...ok, think...what would Misty do...what would Misty do...

Well, Misty would have her accept it in front of everyone, but...

Aldo: You're right! In front of everyone it is.

Ugh, this is not going to end well...


Lorelei: Um...aren't most people happy when they get awards?

Erica: That was so humiliating...

Sorry, Erica. I tried to tell your dad...

Erica: Why'd they even ask him anyway? Why not ask me? It's my award...

You know, that's a good point...


Science fair day again?

Erica: Yup. Betta's coming over later to work on ours.


Hey, nice going, Misty.

Misty: Thanks...

So, does this mean you're on the city council now?

Misty: Yup!

So...how long until we start investigating the science lab?

Misty: Well, these things take time, you know. I can't change everything overnight.

Uh-huh...


So, what are you two building?

Betta: A robot.

A robot? What happened to the planet models?

Erica: Oh, that's little kid stuff.

Betta: Is that what Lorelei's making?

Erica: Nah...she's making a clay volcano. 


I see. Smart move, doing this one outside.

Lorelei: What does the book say now?

Misty: Pour the baking soda into the opening...Aldo, do we have any baking soda? Aldo? Oh, for crying out loud, Aldo, take off the earbuds!

At least Misty and I agree on something...


What's wrong?

Aldo: I can't sleep...it's too loud...

...Seriously? Aldo, take them off before you go to bed!

Aldo: ...Oh...You know, it didn't say that in the instructions.



Something tells me this isn't going to be a simple party at home?

Aldo: Oh, no. We have a lounge in the city all booked. The girls and I are going early to set up...


Aldo: Hello? What? The pool? Oh, the school...huh, that doesn't sound like Lorelei. Um...I'm sure it was a mistake...yeah...

Um, Aldo?

Aldo: If it's the school's mistake then I don't have to tell Misty. Unless you want to be the one to tell her this on her birthday.

Ah, I see. Carry on.


Erica: I can't believe you got away with it! You get away with everything!

Lorelei: I do not!

Erica: You do too! You are such a spoiled baby...

Lorelei: Hey!


Lorelei: Dad! Erica called me a spoiled baby...Dad? Dad!

Hey, Aldo? You might want to intervene here...


Aldo: Huh? Sorry, didn't here you there. Come on, girls. Time to go to mom's birthday!


Wow, big crowd...

Misty: I know, right?

Can't say I know any of them, but...


Happy birthday, dear Misty...





And apparently Misty's going to be getting some birthday gifts from beyond the grave...


Erica: Will you stop following me around?

Lorelei: But this party's boring! There's no other kids here...

Erica: That's because it's all mom's friends, stupid.

Lorelei: Hey! I'm not stupid...you're the stupid one!

Erica: Brat!

Lorelei: Drama Queen!


Aldo: Hey! Cool it, you two. I know you don't want your mother to get involved...

Lorelei: But she said I was stupid!

Aldo: Erica, did you call your sister stupid?

Erica: Well, yes, but...

Aldo: No buts...both of you, time out, right now.

Erica: What?

Lorelei: What's a time out?

Aldo: It means both of you are going to sit here and think about the way you've been acting.


Erica: Are you kidding? You can't give me a time out! I'm in high school!

Aldo: The book says I can give it no matter how old you are. Now you sit there until you can be nice to your sister!


Erica: This is so embarrassing...

Aldo: You should have thought of that before you picked on Lorelei.

Um, Aldo? I don't mean to question your methods, but typically time outs happen away from the party? And...on a chair?

Aldo: Oh...yeah, I kind of only read the bolded words in the book...

That's obvious...


Erica: You know, you don't have to stand here watching me...haven't you embarrassed me enough?


Aldo: Look, I didn't mean to embarrass you. But this party is really important to your mother. I'm not going to let you two ruin it...

Erica: Like she'd even notice! I don't know if you've been paying attention while hovering over me, but she's not exactly concerned about us right now.

Aldo: Exactly. And I'd like to keep it that way. You remember what happened at the humor and hijinks festival, don't you?


Aldo: Did you think about what you said?

Lorelei: Yes...

Aldo: Good. Now I want you to go and apologize to your sister and give her a hug.

Lorelei: Dad...

Aldo: Or you can spend the rest of the party in this corner. Your choice.

Lorelei: Fine...


Erica: (whispers): I still hate you.

Lorelei: (whispers): I still hate you more...

Something tells me this is going to get worse before it gets better...


Well, I guess all that schmoozing at the party was good for something...


Erica: Yes! I so need to get out of this house...

You know, the teenagers around here sure seem to favor the fancy restaurants.


Thistle: How was your mom's birthday?

Erica: Ugh...it was awful. My stupid sister decided to pick a fight, and then my dad blamed me for it, of course...

Thistle: Oh, yeah. I know that feeling...

Erica: Oh, it gets worse. So my dad comes over, and he actually puts both of us in time out!

Thistle: Time out?

Erica: Yeah! I had to sit on the floor like I was a toddler, and then he made us hug in front of everyone...it was mortifying.


Erica: I swear, if I ever find that stupid book of theirs...oh, no...

Thistle: What?

Erica: I just remembered I left my journal out on my desk...I just know that Lorelei's going to go sticking her nose in it. Little brat...

Thistle: Come on, I'm sure she knows to leave your journal alone...


Or not...Lorelei, are you sure this is the best idea?

Lorelei: But I want to know if she's saying bad stuff about me!


Erica: I knew it! What are you doing you little...you little...plum-face!

Lorelei: Ooh...you said a bad word...

Wait...plum-face is a bad word...

Lorelei: And you made the mysterious voice say it too!


Misty: Young lady, did I just hear what I thought I heard?

Erica: But...

Misty: No buts! You know that kind of language is unacceptable, especially towards your little sister on her birthday!

Erica: Oh, what, so I can't go to the stupid little kid party now...

Misty: Oh, no...you're still going. But you are going to spend the entire party in time-out...

Erica: What?


Erica: Are you freaking kidding me? This is such a load of llama-plum...

Misty: Keep it up...you're only digging yourself in deeper.


Well...this should be fun...


Corellia: What are you doing sitting over here? Come on, let's go grab some chips at the bar, and...

Erica: I can't. I'm in "time out"...

Corellia: Huh?

Erica: (sigh) I had a fight with Lorelei before we came here. And according to Mom's new parenting book, that means I have to sit here in the corner like an idiot.

Corellia: Ouch...I sure hope my mom doesn't get her hands on that book.

Trust me, Corellia, I'm sure she already has. Although I think she probably read it a bit more throughly than Misty...

Erica: (sigh) Mysterious voice, can you go talk to her?

I'll give it a try...


Hey, Misty...can we talk about this sudden "time out" kick you're both on?

Misty: Erica put you up to this, didn't she?

Not exactly...

Misty: What am I supposed to do? Let her swear at her sister?

Well...no. But you know, there are other...more age appropriate punishments out there.

Misty: This is the only one the book mentioned...

Yeah, about that...exactly how far along are you, because I think...

Misty: Look, I don't have time for this. If you want to make yourself useful, go keep an eye on Erica while I finish Lorelei's cake.


How are you holding up?

Erica: Fine...I want to sit here. This is a stupid party anyway.

At least they let you keep your phone.

Erica: Well, you know, toddlers don't typically have them so their book probably didn't mention taking it away.


Maybe Aldo will be more open to change...Aldo....Aldo!! (sigh) Stupid earbuds...


Alright, well, maybe they'll get along better once they're both teens? Happy birthday, dear Lorelei...


At least the "no mixologist" streak continues...


Although I think she needs a new outfit.



Lorelei: So? What do you think?

Erica: What do I think? I think you took my clothes, you little brat!

Lorelei: What? No I didn't. Besides, how could I even try? Your stuff would all be way too big on me.

Erica: Oh, please....you know you took that from my closet...

Lorelei: Whatever. I'm going out to the patio. Have fun in time-out...

Erica: Oh, that's it...


Erica: Hey! I'm tired of you messing with my stuff! First you sneak into my room and read my journal, now you couldn't even get your own stupid outfit? When we get home you better never touch anything of mine again!

Lorelei: I already told you, I didn't take your stupid clothes...


Lorelei: Besides...shouldn't you still be on your time out chair?

Erica: The only reason that happened is because you read my journal, you little...

Lorelei: Hey, I didn't make you use bad words...and besides, it's not like you had anything interesting to say in there anyway besides gushing about your stupid boyfriend and whining...

Erica: You little...

Lorelei: Ha...if you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly little anymore. Not so easy to pick on now, am I?

Misty: HEY!

Uh-oh...


Misty: You, young lady, aren't supposed to be outside...

Lorelei: (laughs)

Misty: Don't get too comfortable, Lorelei. You're in time out too...


Lorelei: What?  But it's my party!

Misty: I don't care. I've had enough of this fighting! Now both of you, I want you to sit out here and think about the way you've been treating each other!


Lorelei: Well, this sucks...

Erica: Yeah, tell me about it.

Lorelei: Do you think anybody saw that?

Probably not...even forgot this place had a patio.

Erica: Well, that's a relief. 


Erica: Ugh...I hate that book so much!

Lorelei: Yeah, I'm starting to not like it either. Where did it come from, anyway?

Erica: I don't know, but I swear if I ever find it I'm throwing it in the fireplace...

Lorelei: (Laughs)

Erica: What?

Lorelei: We don't have a fireplace...

Erica: Oh, right...well, then I'll take it to Cori's and throw it in hers. 


Lorelei: Listen...I'm...I'm sorry I read your journal.

Erica: Yeah, well...I'm sorry I said that stuff to you. Especially on your birthday. That was pretty harsh.

Lorelei: It's ok...


Misty: Ok, Lorelei, you can go back to the party.

Erica: What about me?

Misty: Nope. I told you, you're in time out for the whole party. 

Erica: But that's so unfair!

Misty, I think...

Misty: You stay out of this. You know what, young lady? If you're going to throw a tantrum about it, you can just stay out here until you're ready to act like a big girl.



Hey, look who finally ditched his earbuds...

Aldo: Actually...they broke....I guess you get what you pay for. What are you doing out here? What's wrong?

Erica: I'm in time out...again.

Aldo: Again? When were you in time out before?

Erica: For swearing at Lorelei...

Aldo: Huh? When did that happen?

Erica: (sigh) It's a long story...

Aldo: Oh...well, I think you've been here long enough.

Erica: What about Mom?

Aldo: I'll talk to her. Go enjoy the rest of the party...on one condition.

Erica: Uh-huh...

Aldo: Go give your sister a real hug this time.


Erica: Happy birthday, Lorelei...

Lorelei: Thanks. I promise I'll be less annoying now...

Aww, that's better...


Aldo: So I was thinking, now that we have two teenagers in the house, maybe it's time to pick up the next volume of that book?

Misty: There's a next volume?

Well, this seems like a good time for me to be on my way. Enjoy the rest of the party, guys. I'll see you next round.



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Well, at least there were only two parties this round! I'm kind of half and half on the fitness stuff earbuds. (Seriously, the Sims aren't smart enough to know to take them off before going to bed?) They did give me an excuse to have Aldo kind of checked out for most of the week, though. (Except for the school chance cards, since he's a stay at home dad.) In reality, the "time out" thing was simply because it's the first punishment that unlocks, and Aldo and Misty hadn't reached the skill level for grounding yet. And sibling rivalry with the Parenthood pack can go really far, really fast. I didn't want Erica and Lorelei to become actual enemies, so eventually I just had to keep them apart so they wouldn't autonomously annoy each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment