Sunday, July 30, 2017

Palmer 2: Round 16




Last round, Azalea was still struggling to move on from the deaths of her parents. Silas's suggestion that they downsize the family garden didn't help. Meanwhile, Lily began showing some extraordinary skills that continued to raise suspicions about her origins, and older brother Thistle finally entered into a relationship with Erica Flenderson.


Morning, Thistle!

Thistle: Oh, hey mysterious voice.

Um...are you making macaroni and cheese for breakfast?

Thistle: It's leftover from last night. Food is food, right?

I guess...



Oh, Azalea...

Azalea: Oh...it's you. 

I know I've asked you this already, but are you sure you don't want to try moving those outside?

Azalea: ...Maybe.

Maybe? Well, that's better than the answer I got last week.


(sigh) Lily, honey, we've talked about this...

Lily: I don't know why you don't like Chompy so much. Look at him! He's my friend!

For now, sure...isn't there anything else you can do?

Lily: Well...I could go play with my new BooBoo Billy doll...


See, this is much better...although that doll is kind of creepy looking.

Lily: Dad says the same thing.


Ok, so just to recap, we've seen one child eating leftover mac and cheese for breakfast, one playing with a man-eating plant, and now one spilling paint all over the floor. Oh, and mom's sobbing over the grandparents' urns. Seems like a great morning around here so far.


Rose: Hey, Thistle...wanna do me a favor?

Thistle: Depends...what do you want?

Rose: Can you come have lunch in our cafeteria tomorrow?

Thistle: What? Eat lunch in the baby cafeteria? No way.

Rose: Please? I'll give you $5...

Thistle: Sorry Rose, no way...


Back out in the orchard again, huh?

Silas: Yes, but for the last time!

What? You finally got Azalea to agree?

Silas: Well, agree is a strong word. But yes, today's the day. We've already tagged the few plants we want to keep.


Something tells me this wasn't the best day for Azalea to get this phone call...although I guess that explains why Rose wanted Thistle with her at lunch.


Silas: So did you see what happened to your sister at lunch?

Lily: Um...not really. I don't talk to Rose a lot at school.

Silas: Lily...

Lily: What? She doesn't talk to me either!

Silas: Lily, I wish you would...

Azalea: Anybody home?

Lily: Mommy's home!!

Silas: (sigh)


Lily: Hi Mom!

Azalea: Hi, honey...wow...

Lily: What?

Azalea: I guess your father really went through with downsizing the garden, huh?

Lily: Yeah, but don't be sad, Mommy. We got a special surprise for you...


Wow, I'll say. 

Azalea: This does take some of the sting out of losing the trees...


Rose: Lily!

(sigh) What's wrong now?

Rose: I was building my volcano project for school, and then Lily came and wrecked it!

Lily: I didn't mean to...I was helping!

Rose: Yeah, right. You just wanted to wreck my project so your perfect project would look even better...


You know, it might be a good idea to separate you two for awhile. How about we go visit Daisy?

Rose: Yeah, I'm going to go see my good sister...

Lily: I heard that!


Daisy: Hi, Rose! Long time no see!

Rose: Hi Daisy! Can I go see baby Carrie?

Daisy: You sure can. She just woke up from her nap...


Well, she certainly seems happy to see you.

Rose: Yeah, at least someone is...


Daisy: So what's going on, Rose? Mom told me you've been having a rough week.

Rose: It's just not fair! None of the other kids like me! And every time I think one of them likes me, they end up going off to play with Lily instead because she's the pretty one. I hate being a twin! Why does she have to be around me all the time? I look like such a loser next to her.

Daisy: Oh, Rose...you're not a loser. You're super smart! And you're pretty too, you know.You look a lot like I did at your age.

Rose: Really?

Daisy: Yup. And trust me, once you guys get into high school it will show even more.

Rose: Yeah, but that's not for so long...


Not that long, actually...


Silas: So, admit it...

Azalea: Admit what?

Silas: Swapping the orchard for the climbing wall was a good idea.

Azalea: (sigh) Ok, you were right...and I do like being able to actually see you inside the house.

Silas:  Tell me about it. I was starting to forget what color the walls were.


So, where we headed for the birthday celebration?

Azalea: The park...

Oh, wouldn't have thought that for this one. You guys seem to be trying to spend less time outside.

Silas: Hey, as long as I don't have to water anything, I'm ok with it.


Azalea: Silas...I thought you took care of reserving the space...

Silas: I did, Azalea, but...

Azalea: Then why is the Grim Reaper here?

Um...I can actually explain that one. See, the last party that happened here had an...unexpected departure. Let's just put it that way. I'm sure he won't stick around long.


Alright, let's get this show on the road. Happy birthday, dear Lily...


Huh...not the twin I expected to have the jealous trait.


Still not bad looking, though.


Happy birthday, dear Rose...


And an unexpected aspiration there, but at least it's not mixologist...


Huh, maybe Daisy was right...though, the clothes need work.


Much better.

Lily: Hey, check it out. I found a camera...let's take a picture together...

Rose: Um...I'm not sure I want to...

Lily: Oh, come on...

Actually, I have a better idea...


There we go. If we're going to do this, we may as well get all 4 of you in there. And man, Rose really does look just like Daisy now.

Lily: Yeah, well, copying her hairstyle doesn't help...


Oh, I didn't know the twins were here...the other twins, I mean.

Harrison: Aunt Lily? We want cake...

Lily: But...you two already had some.

Mark: Only the pink cake.

Harrison: Now we want blue cake...taste different.

Lily: Oh..um...ok, I guess...

Harrison: Lily best aunt!



Daisy: Don't tell me you're doing homework at your own birthday party.

Rose: Why not? It's not like I have anything else to do. Even your twins like Lily more than me and they're only toddlers.

Daisy: Honey, that's just because Lily gave them each an extra slice of cake.

Rose: Is that why they haven't stopped running for about half an hour?

Daisy: I think so...I just hope they run off all that sugar before I take them home.

Rose: Well, remind me to slip Carrie an extra slice at the next party so I can be her favorite aunt, huh?



Wouldn't have expected to find you on this thing.

Rose: I wanted to give it a try. After all, Mom's on this thing all day long. There has to be something to it...

Just be careful.


Azalea: What? Why in the world would she be eating in the bathroom? That's just...

Wrong?

Azalea: Yes...how did you know I was going to say that?

Call it a hunch.


Silas: Um, Azalea? Are you really sure we want to discourage Lily from eating?

Azalea: What do you mean by that?

Silas: It's just...I've been looking at her recently, and...do you think she's eating enough?

Azalea: Of course! She's eating as much as all the other ones. She must have just inherited my athletic metabolism.

Silas: If you say so...


Oh, now the bathroom sandwich is starting to make sense. Hi Clam.

Clam: Hey mysterious voice.

So, any reason you decided to pass on your odd lunch habits? I mean, it's not even like you guys could eat in the same bathroom, so...

Lily: Well, the food at school...doesn't always agree with me. A lot of food doesn't, actually, but the food at school is the worst. And I think the other kids were starting to notice how often I got up to go to the bathroom...

Clam: So I told her about the time I actually ate my lunch in the bathroom.

Which you still haven't fully explained to me, by the way.

Lily: Anyway, it didn't work. Now I just look weirder than I did before.


Thistle: Are you eating a bowl of vegetables for breakfast?

Lily: Yeah, so? It's better than macaroni and cheese.

Thistle: Ok, first of all, nothing is better than macaroni and cheese...


Daisy: Hey, what are you guys doing here?

Azalea: Oh, just dropping off some pictures from the party. There's a really cute one of you and the boys.

Silas: It's just too bad Lucas couldn't make it.

Daisy: Well, someone had to stay home with the baby.

Silas: I guess you're right...speaking of, where are our grandkids?

Daisy: Well, we just got Carrie down for a nap, but the boys are in their room if you wanted to say hi...


Looks like they're happy to see you.

Azalea: I'm just glad we had some grandkids while we're still young enough to do this...


Lily: Huh...

What?

Lily: Well, I've been trying to look up some stuff about why I can't seem to eat anything...I found this site where you can look up your family's medical history. And it asked for my birthday, and when I punch it in, it keeps saying "no records found."

Huh, weird...well, I'm sure it's just a glitch with the website.

Lily: Yeah, probably. This site does seem kind of sketchy now that you mention it. But I just wish I could find out if I inherited something, you know?

Other than your mom's metabolism?

Lily: Did she use that line on you too? 


Silas: Hey, guys...anybody need any help?

Thistle: No, Dad. We're fine.

Silas: You sure? Because I could...

Rose: We're ok, Dad...

Getting a little bored without the garden?

Silas: A little...I kind of wish I'd picked a second hobby.


Clam: Hey, so I was thinking about what we talked about the other day...and I think I have an idea. You know how my dad runs a bakery, right?

Lily: Clam, I really don't think that cupcakes are going to work for me right now.

Clam: Well, maybe not normal ones. But maybe I can use his stuff and figure out how to make ones you can eat...

Lily: Um...won't your dad mind you using his ingredients for that?

Clam: Nah. He's always bugging us to help out more, anyway. You'll see...I'm going to figure this out...

Well, I'll certainly have that to look forward to when I get back to the Hannons...


Azalea: So, I saw you out on my climbing wall this morning...

Rose: Oh, um...yeah, about that...

Azalea: No, I think it's great...

Rose: Really?

Azalea: Yeah...I mean, you guys aren't exactly little anymore. It's not like you're going to break it. And besides, it's nice to know that someone will keep using it after I can't.

Rose: Mom...

Azalea: I'm serious. I don't want it to end up like your grandma's plants.

Rose: Well, at least we won't have to water the climbing wall.

Azalea: (laughs) That's true.


Azalea: Come on, you two. Finish your breakfast...you'll be late for school.

Thistle: How come Lily doesn't have to be here?

Rose: Oh, you haven't heard? The princess is too good for our food...she's cooking her own.

Azalea: That's enough, Rose. Now, I don't know exactly what is going on with Lily but you two will not make fun of her for it. Do you hear me?

Both: Yes, Mom...


Rose: Boo!

Lily: Hey! Ugh...now I have to start all over.

Rose: What, your precious princess stomach can't handle some extra pepper?

Lily: Shut up, Rose...

Rose: Why don't you go out back? Chompy's got a nice slice of cake out there...

Lily: Hey, yeah...after all, it comes from a plant...and I can eat salad...

Rose: Hey, wait...I was joking...

Lily, stop...


Lily: ...Chompy?

Sorry, Lily. I tried to warn you...

Lily: I thought you were my friend!

Well, as much as I hate to leave during this upsetting moment, I have to be on my way now. I'll see you guys next round!




A Message From the Mysterious Voice: The orchard is finally gone! I did have these guys keep some of their plants, but most of the trees are finally gone from the backyard. With Silas already an elder, there was no way these guys were going to be able to keep up with all of them for much longer. But at least I was able to finally get someone the rock climbing wall...and of course, Chompy's still there. (I debated getting rid of him, but I think I'll leave him there until we eventually (hopefully) get a Pets EP.) And I love how involved siblings and other family members are now since the Parenthood pack. Daisy must have called every day inviting someone over. It was nice seeing Azalea and Silas go over and play with the grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment