Sunday, July 30, 2017

Lytle 1: Round 16



Last round was...eventful, for the Lytle family, to say the least. It began well enough with Hunter growing into a young adult, and inviting his girlfriend Leigh to move in with the family while they planned their wedding. Things took an unexpected turn at Emerald's birthday party, though, when Hunter unexpectedly keeled over and died of laughter. His grief-stricken family ended up purchasing a wishing well as a memorial, which somehow ended up bringing him back to life.


What are you doing up? It's the middle of the night.

Emerald: Oh, um...well....can you keep a secret?

Sure...

Emerald: Well, ever since what happened to Hunter I...haven't exactly been sleeping very well.

Well that's certainly understandable...

Emerald: But you can't tell anyone, understand? Not even my mom and dad. I don't want them to worry...not after what happened.

Don't worry, your secret's safe with me.


Charley: Well, look who's finally up...

Emerald: Yeah, just tired I guess. Say, Mom, can I go over to Hosnian and Cori's?

Charley: I don't see why not...but are you sure you're feeling? You look...off.

Emerald: No, I'm fine.

Charley: Well, ok...have a good time.


Hosnian: Em...Em!

Emerald: Huh? What?

Hosnian: It's your turn...

Emerald: Oh, right...

Hosnian: Are you sure you're up for this? You seem really out of it.

Emerald: Yeah, yeah...I'm ok. Just got a little dizzy...I'm sure it's nothing.


So, what's on the agenda for tonight?

Emerald: (yawn) I don't know...usually I just find some dumb movie to watch.


You know, I don't know if a monster movie is the best remedy for nightmares.


Nimbus: Huh...

Charley: What?

Nimbus: Does the kitchen look...cleaner today?

Charley: What are you talking about?

Nimbus: I could have sworn I left some dishes on the counter when I went to bed last night...

Charley: You must really be getting old.


Nimbus: How's the homework coming?

Emerald: (yawn) Fine, Dad...just working on my project for science class...ow! 

Nimbus: What?

Emerald: Nothing...my hand just slipped, that's all. I'm just a little tired.

Nimbus: Yeah, I've noticed...

Emerald: You have?

Nimbus: Well, I went through the same thing when I was your age...

Emerald: You did?

You did?

Nimbus: Sure...all teenagers do. But honey, you have to remember...you're not invincible. You need to take care of yourself. Trust me, I wish I'd done the same at your age. My body is paying for it now.


Emerald: Hunter! No...

Emerald, it's ok...it was just a dream.

Emerald: Not again...


Oh, honey...

Emerald: I'm so tired of this!

I know...maybe you should go get some fresh air? I'll keep an eye out for your parents.

Emerald: Thanks, mysterious voice.

Anytime.


Should have known I'd find you here. I thought you guys took the monkey bars down when you put the well in.

Emerald: Nah, we just moved them over a bit. I kind of like having them here...they remind me of before.

Before?

Emerald: You know, before. When I was a kid...when my brothers were still here. When I didn't have to worry about everybody all the time. When I just knew everyone was safe...

Emerald, you don't have to worry about anyone...that's kind of my gig. Trust me, everyone you know is going to be ok...



Hey, you're home early...oh, no...


Oh, no...


This...this is not good.


Emerald: Dad? Dad, get up! Dad...


Goodbye, Nimbus...


Corellia: Em...you ok?

It's alright, Cori. I've got this one. Emerald...honey...

Emerald: (sobbing)

Why don't we get your brothers over? That sound good?

Emerald: Uh-huh...

Ok...I'll take care of it....



Pine: Emerald! Come here...

Emerald: Pine...I...

Pine: Shh...it's ok. We'll all stay here with you until Mom gets home...


Emerald: I just...I can't believe he's really gone. I knew he was an elder, but...I always thought...

Moss: I know. You thought he was going to be here forever...

Emerald: Well, not forever...but at least until I was done with school!


Hunter: Em...honey, you really should try and get some sleep.

Emerald: ...

Hunter: You know Dad would want you to take care of yourself...

Emerald: Yeah...I know...

Hunter: You want me to stay here with you? I'm still pretty good at keeping nightmares away, you know.

Emerald: Thanks, but I don't think I'm going to be able to even get to sleep...

(ringing)

Emerald: Ugh...can you please check my phone? I don't think I can talk to anyone right now.




Hunter: Hey, now...who's this guy texting my little sister?

Emerald: Oh, Hosnian? It's nothing serious. He's Cori's brother...she probably told him what happened.

Hunter: Maybe you should give him a call...he seems kind of worried.

Emerald: ...Maybe later...

Hunter: Ok...it's almost time for your mom to get home anyway.

Emerald: Oh, no...Mom! Did anyone tell her...

Hunter: Shh...it's ok. I'll do it. You just try and get some rest.



Hunter: Mom!

Charley: Oh, Hunter, what are you doing here so...oh, no...it's Dad, isn't it?

Hunter: I'm sorry, Mom...

Charley: ...When?

Hunter: This afternoon. Just after Emerald got home...

Charley: Emerald! Where is...

Hunter: It's ok, we've been sitting with her inside. I think I finally got her to fall asleep...

Charley: Good...so, where...where is he?

Hunter: Over by the flower bed...


I'm so sorry, Charley...

Charley: (sigh) There was nothing you could have done. It was just his time. That makes it a bit easier, I guess...

Emerald: Mom?


Charley: Oh, Emerald...honey, I'm sorry I wasn't here...Hunter said you were asleep.


Emerald: Yeah, I was, but...I just...Mom, can you...

Charley: Let me just go change out of this...we'll hang out in the living room tonight.


Is she finally asleep?

Charley: I think so...the poor thing. I just wish I had been here with her.

I can't imagine it would have been any easier for you...

Charley: Maybe not, but...she shouldn't have been alone. Thank you, by the way, for getting the boys over.

No problem. It was actually nice to see everyone together again.


Charley: Hello...oh, my...that doesn't sound like her. Well, you know, we did just lose her father last night. Yes, I know, but I think under the circumstances...yes...yes, of course...


So you want to explain this hacking thing?

Emerald: (sigh) I wasn't even trying to hack in. I was trying to log into my school account, and I mistyped something...next thing I knew there were these alerts all over the screen and I was in the principal's office.

You really need to get some sleep.

Emerald: Yeah, like there's any chance of that happening now...


Well, at least something good happened this week. Nice job, Charley.


Charley: So I got a very interesting phone call from the school yesterday...

Emerald: Mom, I swear, I wasn't...

Charley: It's ok...I understand.

Emerald: You do?

Charley: After what's been going on around here these past few weeks your grades were bound to drop a little bit...you didn't have to hack in to bring them up, honey. I told the school to let you off with a warning, but honey, don't feel like you have to keep everything up in the air at once...

Emerald: Right...um...thanks, Mom...


Hey, we finally moved the piano inside!

Charley: Yup, that last bonus was just enough to finish up my music room. Better late than never I guess.

So I take it that's how you've been dealing with everything?

Charley: How do you think I got that last promotion in the first place?


Charley: Emerald...Emerald, honey...wake up...

Emerald: Huh? Mom? What time is it?

Charley: It's almost 3AM...honey, why are you still at your desk? You should have been in bed hours ago.


Emerald: Sorry, Mom, I....lost track of time, I guess.

Charley: Emerald, honey...don't take this the wrong way, but you look awful! Honey...have you been sleeping at night?

Emerald: Who told you...

Don't look at me...I didn't say a word.

Charley: Nobody has to tell me, Emerald. I'm your mother. I notice these things.


Charley: Honey, it's ok to be sad about losing your father...

Emerald: But I'm not even sad, Mom. I'm just...angry! He should be here! It's not fair that he won't be there when I graduate, or get married. He'll never get to meet Hunter's or Pine's or my kids. It's just not fair...

Charley: I know, honey. You're right. It's not fair. But you know, trying to pretend it's all ok isn't going to make anything better...

Emerald: I guess not...


Emerald: I'm sorry, Dad...I'm trying, really...

Trying what?

Emerald: To take care of myself...But I just can't...

Maybe you'd feel better if you got out of the house? You never did give Hosnian a call.

Emerald: Yeah, maybe...


Emerald: Sorry I haven't been around much

Hosnian: Hey, that's alright. It's not like you haven't had a good reason. Cori told me about your dad...that sucks.

Emerald: Understatement of the century...

Hosnian: You know if you need anything, Cori and I are here, right?

Emerald: Yeah, I know...thanks, Hosnian.


Sleep any better last night?

Emerald: For about two hours, sure...I'm going to go make some coffee.


Lorelei: Emerald!

Emerald: Huh? Oh...hey Lorelei....what's up?

Lorelei: Well, I just wanted to see if you were ok...we all heard about what happened...

Emerald: Ugh! Why does everybody keep asking me that? For the last time, yes! I'm ok. My dad's dead, and that sucks, and my mom keeps crying but pretends not to be, and that sucks, and my brothers are all moved out and I'm all by myself but yes, I'm perfectly fine!!

Lorelei: Ok, ok...I was just asking...


Maybe we should go see one of those brothers?


Pine: How you holding up, little sister?

Emerald: Um...fine....

Pine: Man, I really should have taught you to lie better before I moved out. Come on, let's go shoot some hoops out back.


Pine: Remember when we used to do this back when we were kids?

Emerald: Not really...you guys never let me play with you.

Pine: Oh...right.


Pine: Listen, I'm sorry about that...we were just kids, you know?

Emerald: What do you mean "were"? I still am a kid...

Pine: Oh, yeah...I keep forgetting you're still in school. You just seem so much...older, now.

Emerald: Gee, thanks...

Pine: You know what I mean. You've had to grow up really fast. Faster than any of us had to. First with Hunter, then with Dad...you know, Mom's lucky you came last because you're the perfect one to take care of her.

Emerald: Take care of her?

Pine: She's not getting any younger either, you know...

Emerald: I...hadn't even thought about that.

Ugh...thank you, Pine...


Emerald: Ow!

You're trying to cook?

Emerald: Well, I've been thinking about what Pine said...he's right, you know. Mom's not getting any younger.

Well, true, but she still knows how to use the stove...she should probably be involved.


Charley: You...made breakfast?

Emerald: Uh-huh! And I only burned it twice before I got it right.

Charley: So that's what that smell is...honey, if you wanted to learn how to cook you should have asked.

Emerald: No, really...it's ok. I mean, you're not going to be able to cook for me forever, right? I mean, I'm almost grown up...

Charley: Exactly. You're almost grown up. You're not grown up yet.

Emerald: Sure doesn't feel like it...

Charley: Tell me about it...tell you what. Why don't you go upstairs and lie down for a little while, and I'll cook us some French toast?

Emerald: That...that sounds nice...


Alright, well, as much as I'd like to stick around and make sure she stays asleep, I've got to be on my way...

Charley: Don't worry, I've got this.

I'm sure you do, Charley. I'll see you guys next round.


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Man, this one was sad. I had originally planned for this week to be all about Emerald's trauma from what happened to Hunter; I didn't realize that Nimbus was going to die of old age. (Charley just barely made it out of the week, too.) I did use some mysterious voice magic to bring Emerald's brothers over afterwards; Charley was at work and I just couldn't watch her crying on the sidewalk alone. You'll also notice I used more posed shots in this one than I normally do; there's only so many times you can screenshot the same "hug" interaction, you know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment