Saturday, July 22, 2017

Flenderson 2: Round 16


Last round, Lightning and Hugo were settling into parenthood with their son, Snow, when Lightning discovered she was pregnant for a second time. Soon, twin girls Sunshine and Wind had joined the family as well. Meanwhile Hugo, being the only human in an all alien house, set out on a quest to better understand his wife's differences, which yielded some...interesting results.
 

So I see you're still green...

Hugo: Yup...

I...kind of assumed that would have worn off by now.

Hugo: You and me both.


Lightning: Want a story before bed, Wind?

Wind: Story...Yes!

Lightning: Ok...what story do you want to read?

Wind: Doggy.

Lightning: The doggy story again? We've read that one every night...how about we choose a different...

Wind: No! Doggy!


Hugo: Not again...

What?


Hugo: Ever since I ate that fruit I've been sprouting these stupid leaves from my arms...ugh, why'd I even grow that tree in the first place?

From what I remember, it was something about wanting to understand your wife...

Hugo: And it didn't even do that! I mean, Lightning doesn't sprout leaves! How am I going to explain this to my boss?
 

You know, you're on your own for that one, Hugo. I've got adorable toddler pictures to take...I was starting to wonder where Snow was...
 

Isn't it a bit late for a family get-together?

Lightning: Well, the kids had a really long nap this afternoon. So they should be ok.
 

Lightning: it's so good to see you! I don't think we've gotten together since Chimney was born!

Thunder: Well, you know how life with a baby is...speaking of, where are your three?

Lightning: They went running for the dollhouse as soon as we got here...

Alderaan: Chimney too. He barely touches his at home but one in the park is the greatest thing he's ever seen.

Thunder: So where's Hugo?

Lightning: At work...

Thunder: Is he still...

Lightning: A walking garden? Yup...

Thunder: I still can't believe that. Nobody else thought you were supposed to actually eat that fruit...he had to have known what he was in for.

Lightning: I think he did...he said he was trying to understand me better. It's kind of sweet when you think about it.

Thunder: I just hope his job thinks so too.
 

Well, at least the kids can get to know each other...


Some of them more than others, apparently.

Lightning: Oh, that's just Sunshine. She'd hug everybody in town if she could...
 

Thunder: Well, hello there Wind. Do you know who I am?

Wind: Un-nel Funder!

Thunder: Eh, close enough...can you say hi to your aunt Alderaan?

Wind: Hi And Oller-on...

Alderaan: Nice effort...
 

Lightning: Isn't that your 3rd plate?

Hugo: 4th, actually...it's so weird. No matter how much I eat, I'm still just as hungry...

Um, Hugo? You do know you're part plant now, right?

Hugo: Yeah, so...

And you know how plants make food, right?

Hugo: Wait...so you mean I can't eat?

Well, obviously you can eat...I just don't think it's going to do much for you right now.

Hugo: This keeps getting worse and worse!
 

Sunshine: Grandma, can you read me another story?

Rain: You've had three stories already, honey.

Sunshine: Can I have a drink of water?

Rain: You already had one...

Sunshine: What about a snack?

Rain: Sunshine, it's time to go to sleep...

Well, she's certainly a little chatterbox.

Rain: You're telling me. We barely even had to teach her-she's been talking in complete sentences from the minute she outgrew her bassinet. Good thing, too. Having three toddlers at once is no joke...



Well luckily the toddler population is about to decrease by 1...
 

Rain: You have to be all clean for your special night tonight...

Snow: Burger cake!

Rain: Yup. Daddy made you a special cake before he left for work...
 

Lightning: Should we wait for Dad?

Rain: Oh, if we wait for him to get home we'll be here all night.

Yeah, I'm with Rain on this...
 

Happy birthday, dear Snow...
 

(sigh) Another social butterfly...
 

He definitely needs a new shirt, though.
 

Well, luckily the restaurant didn't seem to mind your new...look.

Hugo: Yeah...in fact, the boss said I saved the place some money by using my leaves in the salads.

I...don't know if that's a good or a bad thing...
 

Rain: Wind? Want to come dance?

Wind: ....

Rain: Wind?

Wind: Come dance...no. Pictures.

Certainly not as talkative as her sister, is she?

Rain: We're starting to get a little worried about it, to be honest. I know kids grow at different rates, but her communication skills have barely improved at all. And I don't think that tablet is helping.

Does Sunshine have one too?

Rain: Yes, but she barely touches it. We can barely get Wind's out of her hands at bedtime. You should see some of the drawings she makes on that thing, though. They're amazing.

Well, I'm sure her skills will even out...they always seem to.

Rain: I hope so.
 

Looks like you got a new toy too.

Snow: Yeah! And it's just mine. I don't even have to share it.
 

Lightning: Have a great first day!

Snow: I will, Mom. Promise you won't let the twins touch my blocks, though.

Lightning: I promise...besides, I think that table's too tall for them to even reach.
 

Hugo: So, how'd it go?

Snow: Um...ok, I guess.

Hugo: You guess?

Snow: Yeah...I mean, it was only one day.

Hugo: You want some help with your homework?

Snow: No! No, that's ok. I can do it.

Hugo: That's my boy...if you need me I'll be upstairs...plucking myself.
 

Lightning: Snow! Your birthday presents came in the mail while you were at school...

Snow: Oh...

Lightning: What's wrong?

Snow: Well, someone sent me this dumb octopus...can we return it somewhere?

Lightning: Snow! Someone sent that especially for you. You should be more grateful.
 

Ok...how does that decrease empathy, exactly?

 

Sunshine: Grandma, can you turn on the TV?

Rain: Sure, sweetheart...let me just get the remote...

Rain: Oh...

You ok there?
 

Uh-oh...
 

(Sigh) I should have known this was coming...
 

Hugo: Rain...um, Lightning? I think you should get in here...
 

Lightning: Oh, no...

Sunshine: Grandma?
 

Goodbye, Rain...
 

Lightning: Oh, Thunder...it's over...

Thunder: Yeah, I know. Listen, I'm stuck at work for a few more hours, but I just called Alderaan. If you want to bring the kids over...

Lightning: Yeah, that...that sounds good.
 

Alderaan: How you holding up?

Lightning: I don't know...I mean, I knew this would happen eventually, but...

Alderaan: I know.

Lightning: I just wish my dad hadn't been at work when it happened...by the time we called him at the lab it was already over.

Alderaan: Well, listen, you guys hang out for as long as you need to...
 

Sunshine: Chimney! Wanna play blocks?

Chimney: Yeah! Wind play too?

Doesn't look like Wind's too interested...

Wind: Un-el Funder!
 

Thunder: Hey, how's my favorite nieces and nephew?

Snow: Ok, I guess...I miss Grandma...

Thunder: I know, buddy. Where's your mom?
 

Lightning: Thunder!

Thunder: Hey, sis...it's ok.
 

Lightning: I knew this was going to happen eventually, but...

Thunder: I know...it just seems so soon.

Lightning: Thank you so much for letting us come over...this really helped.

Thunder: Anytime. We love having you guys here...gives Chimney a chance to play with other kids.

 

And it seems Chimney likes having his aunt around too...
 

Hugo: Come on, bud. Time to get ready for school.

Snow: Um...I don't want to go today...

Hugo: Oh, I see...you're still too upset about Grandma?

Snow: Uh...yeah...

Hugo: Well, I guess I could write you a note...
 

Sunshine: Wind? I wish Grandma was still here...

Wind: ....

Sunshine: Wind? 

Wind: Grandma...outside.

Sunshine: She is?

Wind: Outside...shiny...
 

Not exactly back in fighting form yet, are you?

Lightning: I thought it would help get it all out...but it's not...wait, why am I hearing crying?

Something tells me I know...
 

Aw, Sunshine...
 

Lighting: Sunshine, what are you doing out here?

Sunshine: Wind said Grandma was outside...but she's not here. 

Lightning: Well, honey, she's kind of here. See that shiny statue? That's for us to remember Grandma.

Sunshine: I'm still mad...Wind lied to me, Mama!

Lightning: Oh, honey...she didn't mean to lie. Wind has a harder time with her words than you do.

Sunshine: Mama? Why is Grandma's statue different?

Lightning: Well, honey...you know, I think I'll explain that when you're a bit older.
 

Hugo: Stupid leaves...

You know, maybe you should call someone about this...it's been awhile...

Hugo: And tell them what? That I ate a mysterious fruit I found after I explored the magical tree in my backyard?

Well...it's not the strangest thing to happen here.
 

Glad to see you getting back in the swing of things, Jase.

Jase: It helps to have something to do.
 

Hey, look who's back to normal!

Hugo: I know! It's such a relief! I'm just so excited to be able to eat real food again. There's so many new recipes I want to try...
 

You may want to slow down with that, Hugo...
 

Lightning: Glad to see you back to your old self.

Hugo: You and me both.

Lightning: Now please promise me you'll never try anything like that again...

Hugo: No, I learned my lesson...and you know, it didn't even work...

Lightning: What didn't even work?

Hugo: Turning myself into...whatever that was. I did it so I could understand what it's like to be an alien, but I don't even understand that any more than before...

Lightning: Well...you kind of do, actually.

Hugo: I do?

Lightning: Yeah...you know how you worried all the time about people noticing your leaves? Well...that's kind of how I feel about my eyes...

Hugo: Really? But nobody really seems to care about your eyes.

Lightning: And nobody cared about your leaves, either. But it didn't make any difference, did it?

Hugo: I guess not.
 

Lightning: And then the little dog said...

Wind: Mama? Wind read?

Lightning: You want to look at the book?

Wind: No...Wind read. 

Lightning: Um...ok, here. Have at it...

Wind: And...then...the...little...dog...said..."Have..you...seen...my...friend?" "Your...friend?" the...little ...bird...laughed...

Lightning: Wind? When did you learn how to read?

Wind: Don't know...just can.

Lightning: You're such a smart little girl...


Snow: You think you're so smart just because you know how to read...how can you read, anyway? You can't even talk...

Wind: Can't even talk...no! 

Lightning: Snow! It's almost time for school...

Luckily Lightning intervened before this got any worse...
 

Snow: Mom? Do I have to go to school today?

Lightning: Yes, Snow. I can't pull you out two days in a row...did you get your homework done last night.

Snow: Um...most of it...

Lightning: Most of it?

Snow: Well, the teacher wanted us to read 20 pages of this book...

Lightning: Uh-huh...and how many did you read?

Snow: ...5...but, I tried, Mom! It's just too hard! It's not fair! Even Wind can read, and she's just a baby! She can't even talk and she can read.

Lightning: Well...what about your other homework?

Snow: I didn't even get to it...trying to read took too long.

Lightning: Well, tell you what. I'm making a new rule. Tonight, I want to you try and read for half an hour. Once that's up, you go onto something else.
 

Snow: Really? But what if I don't finish?

Lightning: Well, we'll work on that together...
 

Hugo: So, what are you building on this thing, anyway?

Snow: A castle...

Hugo: A castle? Out of these things?

Snow: Yeah..it's easy...for me, anyway.

Hugo: Well, you know, building things is a pretty nice thing to be good at...

Snow: Really?

Hugo: Sure...we're all good at different things...you're good at building, Wind is good at drawing...

Snow: And Sunshine is good at talking...Dad, do you think Wind is ever going to learn to talk?

Hugo: Oh, I'm sure she will...everybody does.
 

Well, it looks like it's time to test that theory...
 

Oh, we're actually having a party?

Lightning: Sure. Between the twins growing up and Hugo being back to normal, there's a lot to celebrate.
 

Oh, hi Blair. Didn't expect to see you here.

Blair: Oh, of course! Rain was my best friend...and if she can't be here, then you can bet I will be.

Lightning: Thanks for coming, Blair.

Thunder: And thanks for being such a good friend to our mom.
 

Happy birthday, dear Wind...
 

And I guess all that time drawing on the tablet gave her a leg up in creativity.
 

Not sure I love the hairstyle, but otherwise not bad.
 

Happy birthday, dear Sunshine...
 

No surprises there...
 

Again, not bad, but a trip to the mirror is in order.
 

Oh, no...
 

Great timing there, Jase...right in the middle of the birthday party?
 

Somehow I don't remember including Grimmy on the guest list...
 

Goodbye, Jase...
 

Thunder: You know, if it had to happen, I'm kind of glad that it happened here...at least I got to be there, you know?

Lightning: And at least they're both together now.

Thunder: Yeah, that too.

Well, as much as I hate to leave on such a somber note it's just about time for me to be moving on...
 

Or not...
 

(sigh) Poor Hugo...
 

And once again we're leaving this family after Hugo's brush with the supernatural. Hopefully this one won't last until I get back. See everyone next round!
 

A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Man, this lot was a roller coaster. I was genuinely surprised that Hugo was still a Plant Sim when I returned to the lot. I was expecting that the moodlet would have expired while I was away, or that he would have reset when the challenge ended. The tree is still in their backyard, too, and functional. I didn't go into the lot expecting to have to deal with Rain and Jase dying...I guess I had a false sense of security from having Madison stick around for so long. It will be interesting to see if Blair does, too. And we'll have to see what happens with Wind's speech. I noticed when I first got onto the lot that Sunshine's communication skill was already almost maxed, while Wind's was barely through level 1, so I decided to write that in. (Her thinking and imagination skills were much higher, hence the drawing and early reading.) But with Jase's death happening at the party on the last day of the week, I didn't get to include any shots of them as kids other than right as they aged up. And I loved how much I was able to get Lightning and Thunder together. Thunder really did call inviting Lightning over right after Rain passed away-it was so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment