Saturday, September 9, 2017

Palmer 5: Round 16

 

Last round, Daisy and Lucas moved into their new home as newlyweds. After an exhausting afternoon with the town welcome wagon, Daisy decided to visit the local spa for a massage-only to be surprised when the masseuse decided to perform a fertility massage. Neither her or Lucas thought much of it until she gave birth to twin boys, Harrison and Mark. Almost immediately after their birth, she found herself pregnant again and by the end of the week had added a daughter, Carrie, to the mix as well.
 

Hi, guys!

Daisy: Oh, hi...say hello to the mysterious voice, boys,

Harrison & Mark: Hi, voice...

So what's going on around here these days?

Daisy: Oh, you know...same old, same old. We just got home from play group at the park...usually I send Lucas with them but it's our week to host, so I thought I'd go today and get some tips.

And did you get any?

Daisy: Yes...bring earplugs.
 

Is she liking your music any more than the boys?

Lucas: Well, it's kind of hard to tell...I think so. She certainly cries less. 
 

Daisy: Mark...who spilled paint all over the floor?

Mark: I don't know...

Daisy: Are you sure about that?

Mark: The baby did it...

Daisy: Mark...
  
 

Daisy: Now I need both of you to stay in here and play quietly while I go feed your sister...can you please do that for Mommy?

Don't worry, Daisy...I got this.

Daisy: Does it make me a bad parent to rely on a disembodied babysitter?

I won't tell if you don't.
 

 Nice going, Lucas.

Lucas: Thanks...
 

Lucas: So, how was your day here?

Daisy: Exhausting...

Lucas: Really? I thought today was a no play group day...

Daisy: It was...but that also means there were no other kids to entertain our two. How can two toddlers get into more trouble than 14?
 

 Harrison: Mommy...mommy...mommy...

Daisy: Harrison, what is it? Mommy's trying to read...

Harrison: Guess what? Mark's gonna...

Daisy: Harrison, we talked about tattling...

Harrison: Ok, but he's spilling paint again...

Daisy: (sigh) Stay here. And come get me if the baby cries.
 

 Don't worry, Daisy...soon you'll have 3 toddlers.
 

 Happy birthday, dear Carrie...
 

Huh, we haven't seen inquisitive for awhile... 
 

Oh, wow...

Daisy: What?

She's blonde...I wasn't expecting that.

Daisy: Why? Lucas is blonde...odds were one of the kids was going to look like him.

I guess...well, either way a trip to the mirror is in order.
 

Carrie: Can we go yet?

Daisy: Not yet...

Carrie: Can we go now?

Let me guess...Carrie's first day of play group?

Daisy: She's been begging to leave since she woke up...at 5:30.

Is that why Mark looks like he's ready to go back to bed?

Daisy: Uh-huh...
 

Daisy: Now remember, today's your sister's first day so let's...

Harrison: I see Finn!

Mark: Chimney! Wait for me!

Daisy: ...help her make friends? Guys?
 

 Aww...

Carrie: Mama...
 

Daisy: What's wrong, honey?

Carrie: No friends, Mama...go home?

Daisy: Oh, honey, don't worry. You'll make friends...these things just take time. Tell you what...why don't you be my special helper while we make lunch, ok?

Carrie: Ok, Mama...
 

 Lucas: Come on, it couldn't have been that bad...

Daisy: It was that bad. She spent the whole afternoon by herself. The mysterious voice can vouch for me-she was there too.

Lucas: Well?

She's not wrong...

Daisy: See?

Lucas: Daisy, you can't expect her to be friends with every kid on the first day...

Daisy: That's not even the worst part...her brothers wouldn't even play with her. The minute we got there they went running towards their friends and left her all alone.

Lucas: Really?

Daisy: Yup...and they barely noticed her for the rest of the day.

Lucas: You think we should talk to them about it?

Daisy: Are you kidding? Of course I'm talking to them about it!
 

 Daisy: Harrison, Mommy wants to talk to you about something...you know how you have so much fun at play group with your friends?

Harrison: Yeah! Finn and I play space explorers!

Daisy: Well...your sister didn't have a whole lot of fun today. I think she would like it if next time you and Mark let her play with you.

Harrison: But she can't even climb yet, Mommy! And you can't play space explorers until you can climb to the top of the jungle gym. That's the rules.  
 

Carrie: Dada?

Lucas: Oh, hey sweetie...all ready for bed?

Carrie: Yes...

Lucas: How did you like play group today?

Carrie: No fun!

Lucas: Really? What happened?

Carrie: No friends...

Lucas: Well today was only your first day, kiddo...you know, your brothers didn't have any friends their first day either. Tomorrow will be better...you'll see.

Carrie: No! No go back!

Lucas: (sigh) You have to go, Carrie. Your mom's in charge of it this week...

Maybe you should try talking to your other son?

Lucas: I'm taking it Daisy didn't have much luck with Harrison?

Nope...
 

 Lucas: Mark, come on...what is so bad about playing with your sister at play group?

Mark: She's no fun! She can't run, or climb, or jump...and every time she falls she cries.

Lucas: Well, yeah...she's younger than you are. But that doesn't mean...

Mark: I have to play with her here! At play group I wanna play with my friends.

Lucas: (sigh)
 

 At least something's going right for you this week. Congratulations, Lucas.

Lucas: Yeah, thanks.

So talking to Mark didn't go so well?

Lucas: No...maybe I can try and help Carrie make some friends.
 

 Lucas: Now remember...what do we say to the other kids?

Carrie: Hi, I'm Carrie....wanna play?

Lucas: Good job...

Carrie: But what if other kids say no?

Lucas: Oh, honey, I'm sure they won't...

Carrie: Mark and Harrison say no...all the time.

Lucas: Just trust Daddy, ok? Someone will say yes.
 

Daisy: You know, I think your sister could use some help making friends...

Harrison: She needs little kid friends, Mommy...my friends are big kids.

Daisy: (sigh)

Harrison: 'Sides, she's playing with someone already.

Daisy: What?
 

 Hey, look at that! Lucas's advice worked!

Daisy: Yeah...I guess it did. Hopefully it sticks...which one is that, again? I keep getting those triplets mixed up.

Um...let's see...yup, yellow sneakers. That's Celestial.

Daisy: Thanks...

It's just a good thing none of them have any food allergies.
 

 Daisy: Well, your daughter made her first friend today!

Lucas: Oh, yeah? See, I told you...who's the lucky kid?

Daisy: One of the Kauker triplets...Celestial?

Lucas: Hey, not bad...three for the price of one!

Daisy: Lucas...just because they're triplets...

Um, I hate to interrupt, but...you might want to direct your attention to Harrison digging through the trash right now?
 

 Harrison: You can't play with Celestial! She's a big kid and you're still little.

Mark: Yeah, that's the rules. Big kids play with big kids and little kids play with little kids.

Um...what exactly makes someone a "big kid"?

Harrison: Climbing to the top of the tunnels.

Mark: And climbing the slide without a grown up.

Harrison: And not crying when the dollhouse gets broked because Mommy's just gonna fix it anyway.

Carrie: But...that's not fair!

Harrison: It's still the rules...
 

Yeah, maybe it's time for some advice from Grandma...

Daisy: Don't let my mom hear you call her that.
 

 Azalea: Oh...you brought the kids...

Daisy: Lucas was working late. Sorry, I should have called to warn you...

Azalea: Oh, it's fine. I'm sure it's perfectly safe for them...you guys will be good while Mommy and I try some new food, right?

Harrison, Mark & Carrie: Yes, Grandma...

Azalea: I'm still getting used to that...so, how's play group been going?

Daisy: Great for the boys...could be going better for Carrie.

Azalea: Well, better she learns to make friends now before she starts school...I think this play group is a great idea. I wish I'd had it for Thistle and the twins.

Daisy: Really? But they always just played with each other...it's not like they were lonely.

Azalea: True...but learning to make friends with other kids is a whole different ball game.

Daisy: Yeah, I've noticed.
 

Um...guys? Remember what you said to Grandma about being good? 
 

Oh, maybe he was just trying to make himself a birthday cake.  
 

 Carrie: Mama?

Daisy: What is it, honey?

Carrie: Mama...Mark and Harrison still like me...when big kids?

Daisy: Huh?
 

 Daisy: Honey, of course they'll still like you...
 

Lucas: Daisy, you can't force the boys to be her best friends. She has to make her own.

Daisy: But they're her big brothers. They shouldn't be excluding her like that...especially when she's having such a hard time making friends on her own.

Lucas: I'm sure once the older kids age out and new toddlers come in she'll do fine.

Daisy: I hope so...I just wish she had someone to play with. 

Hmm...you know, there might be a way to do that.

Daisy: Really? What is it?

Did you ever consider that her friend doesn't need to be human?

Lucas: What, like, an alien? There's like 3 of them in the play group already...

Daisy: And we are not getting one of those plants like my parents have. That thing is so dangerous...

Well, first of all, glad you agree with me about that. But second...that's not what I'm talking about. 
Just...give me some time, ok? Have I steered you wrong before?

Daisy: Um...you don't really steer us at all...

Lucas: Yeah, you're really just kind of...there. For a disembodied narrator you're surprisingly short on the advice...

Look, just trust me on this...I promise, I'll have it ready by the time she starts school.
 

Daisy: Well, ok...but we still have to help her in the meantime...the boys are about to start school.
 

Daisy: Hey there...long time no see.

Rose: Yeah, I know...

Daisy: Where's Lily? 

Rose: How should I know?

Daisy: Well, you guys were always pretty inseparable...

Rose: Not you too...you know, just because Lily and I are twins doesn't mean we have to be best friends. There's no law that says you have to be friends with your sister...no offense.

Daisy: None taken...actually, I guess you're right. Even if you two were friends when you were little there was never any guarantee...hey, Rose, can I ask you something?

Rose: What?

Daisy: Do you sometimes feel...I don't know...like you missed out? Like, because everyone was always expecting you to be best friends with Lily, you never got to make a best friend of your own?

Rose: All the time, actually...

Daisy: Huh...

Rose: Why are you asking me this, anyway?

Daisy: Oh...no reason. Come on, let's go have some cake...



 Oh, come on...we were 2 minutes late...
 

 Huh, you don't seem sad?

Harrison: Why would I be sad? I got a birthday party...
 

 And if one aged up...
 

 I swear, there are cakes on that table...with candles and everything...
 

 Yeah, I think trips to the mirror are in order for both of you. 
 

Carrie: Mama? Stay home tomorrow? Please?

Daisy: Oh, Carrie...you'll be ok. I'll still be there with you...and you can play with Celestial, remember?

Carrie, listen...if you're a good girl and go to play group while I'm gone I promise I'll have a special surprise when I come back, ok? Just for you.

Carrie: Surprise?

Uh-huh...do you think you can do that for me?

Carrie: Uh-huh...

Alright, then. In that case, I'll see all of you guys next round!

 

A Message From the Mysterious Voice: I think these guys are becoming one of my favorite houses. Poor Daisy really had her hands full all week. I also discovered that the difference between "missing" a birthday and not isn't actually the cake. Neither of the twins got that moodlet since they technically aged up at a birthday party. (For the record, the only reason I missed it was because neither parent wanted to route to the cake.) And yes, these guys will absolutely be getting a pet once the new EP comes out. By the time I get back to them, it should be well into November. As for exactly who Carrie's surprise friend will be...well, if you're familiar with this house's naming theme you will probably be able to guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment