Thursday, April 6, 2017

Hannon 1: Round 15




And welcome to Round 15 of Tranquility Creek. As always, we start with the Hannon household. Last round, Mikel was feeling the stress of caring for his three children, Shark, Clam, and Betta, as they wrapped up their toddler years. Eventually this began to manifest as some very odd behavior involving household objects. Tetra was initially concerned about this but eventually realized that Mikel's quirks didn't make her love him any less, and at the end of the week the two finally tied the knot.


Oh, looks like we're jumping right into it this week.


Mikel: Ok, kids. Come on...it's almost time to get ready for the party...

Betta: Do I have time to practice my violin first?

Mikel: A little bit, but then we have to get ready to go.


Shark: Maybe you should stick to the piano...

Betta: I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my beautiful music...


Man, you guys really love that thing, huh?

Tetra: I'd say this gets more use than the big pool does. I wish we'd known about these things years ago-we really could have saved some money.


What are you making?

Mikel: I'm baking the cakes for the party tonight.

Cakes? Plural?

Mikel: Yeah, it's Tetra's birthday too. Didn't you know that?

Huh, I must have missed her notice last week. 


So, where are we going? That arcade place again?

Mikel: No, there's a new restaurant that has a buffet room in the back. We have to pay extra, but I think it'll be nicer. 


Wait, what are those?

Mikel: Oh, they have these fountains...we filled one with juice, but the other two have caramel and fudge.


I hope you're ready for the sugar high...


Betta, I think you're supposed to use a glass...

Betta: But it's so good...


Tetra: Thanks so much for coming...

Mackerel: Wouldn't have missed it. By the way, I loved your last book...

Tetra: Really? You read it?

Mackerel: Of course I did! You've really got something there, sis.


Alright, let's get this started. Happy birthday, dear Tetra...








And now it's Mikel's turn. Happy birthday, dear Mikel...





You don't look as happy as your wife.

Mikel: I just expected it to feel...more different, I guess.


...And the kids are still raiding the fountains.

Clam: This is amazing!

Make sure you save some room for the cake...

Clam: I almost forgot!

Just pace yourself, ok there, Clam?


Trout: Marlin, seriously, what's up with the hat?

Marlin: I like it! I think it pulls the look together.

Trout: Yeah, if the look you're going for is "casual mob boss".

Shark: Ha! That's funny, Uncle Trout...

Marlin: Look, can we just go to the lobby and take this picture already?


Aww, what a nice family picture...other than Marlin looking like some sort of odd villain...

Trout: I'm telling you, it's the hat...

Glad somebody's on my side, Trout...or, Salmon. Sorry about that.


Mikel: Well, I'd say that was a success...

Tetra: Yeah, I think we pulled it off! Now let's get the kids home before they pass out...


Too late. I think the sugar high just wore off...


Betta: Are you sure the monster's really gone?

Mikel: Absolutely sure. 


Mikel: Ha...good one, Steve...

Mikel!

Mikel: Huh? Oh...sorry...

Just don't want you to let the stove catch on fire there...

Mikel: Oh, I would never do that to Steve...


Shark: All right! Nailed it!

Glad to see you guys slept off all the sugar from last night.

Shark: Well, almost. Clam almost fell asleep in school. But he did have more than anybody else.






Nice job, Tetra.

Tetra: (sigh) Thanks...

You...don't sound thrilled.

Tetra: Well...it's just...I feel like I'm missing an awful lot around here. The kids are growing up so fast...


Shark: Hey, I've got you on my wall...

I'll say they are. Shark's not even afraid of Marvin anymore.


Mikel: Hey, how was work?

Tetra: Oh, the usual...how were things here?

Mikel: Fine, fine...actually, to tell you the truth, things are kind of dull around here since the kids started school.

Tetra: Are you thinking about getting a job too?

Mikel: (sigh) No...I have a...shaky history with employment. There aren't a lot of jobs that look favorably on someone with my...issues. I'm sorry...

Tetra: Sorry? What are you sorry for? I told you, my royalties bring in more than enough money.

Mikel: I just wish I could contribute, you know? I feel like such a loser sitting at home all day. I baked like, 6 plates of cookies this afternoon-I was that bored.

Tetra: (laughs) I was wondering where those came from...you know, I noticed on my way home that one of the old nightclubs is going out of business...and that the space is for sale...

Mikel: What would we want with a nightclub?

Tetra: Well, maybe we could turn it into a bakery?

Mikel: A bakery? You really think I can run a bakery?

Tetra: I've tasted those cookies...you're not bad, Mikel. And you'd be your own boss, so if you have a...bad day...no one can fire you or anything.

Mikel: But that would cost...

Tetra: Mikel, we have enough to get it started! And I'll even help you...I can come after work, the kids can help out on weekends...

Mikel: Ok...let's do it!


Crazy Cupcakes? Really?

Mikel: Hey, I figured I'd own it, you know? That way if a customer sees me...you know...I can say I was just staying on theme.


And I'll admit, that thing seems more at home here than in someone's basement.

Mikel: It's much faster, too. I can crank out cupcakes and donuts like crazy with this thing.


Looks like Tetra's on customer detail for opening day.

Tetra: Hi, everybody! Welcome to Crazy Cupcakes!


Wow, this place is pretty packed...

Tetra: Well, I may have greased the wheels a bit. I paid for some online ads.

Well obviously they worked...so, who's going to be at home with the kids once school's out?

Tetra: Oh, they're coming here. There's a jungle gym right next door, so they can play while their dad works. And we even put a little area in back for them to draw if they get bored.


Although it looks like Betta's got some other plans.


Customer: This place is so sweet! It's nice to have a family-run business in town. And these cupcakes are delicious!

Tetra: Thank you, but the credit for that really goes to my husband. He's the chef of the family-he has been ever since the kids were little. The first time I tried to cook we nearly burned the house down!

Customer: Where is he? I'd like to congratulate him in person...

Tetra: Oh, he's in the kitchen...just cleaning up for tomorrow, you know? 


Clam: Dad, there's like, a million people out there! And they're all buying your stuff!

Shark: Yeah, Dad. What are you going to do tomorrow when Mom has to work?

Mikel: I...I hadn't thought about that.


Um, Mikel? Are you...ok?

Mikel: What? Oh, yeah...there's just...a lot of people here....what's that, Clarance? Yeah, I think we should go in the back and make a few more plates...that's a good idea.

You know, you do have to ring these people up if you want them to buy things.

Mikel: I know, I know...I...just need a bit of a break. They'll be fine for a few minutes, right?

Um...I guess.


Betta: Dad, look! Can you put my pictures up out front? Maybe someone will want to buy them too!

Mikel: Betta, we're a bakery, not an art gallery.

Betta: Please?

Mikel: Ok, ok, I'll hang them up. How many of those things have you made, anyway?


Quite a few, it seems. Nice going, Betta.


Well, hopefully tomorrow will...Wait...what...


Who are you?


And what are you....


Um...


Excuse me...miss?


Ok...well, that....just happened...


So, um...are you feeling alright?

Mikel: Yeah, except I think I slept in a weird position...my neck kind of hurts.

You do seem more relaxed today.

Mikel: Well, I had this crazy dream last night..get this. A woman came into our bedroom and hypnotized me into letting her bite my neck...nuts, right? But when I woke up this morning, I felt so much calmer...

Well, that's good...


Customer: Sir, this picture...

Mikel: Oh, that...that's just something my little girl drew. I told her I'd hang it up...

Customer: How much for it?

Mikel: You want to buy my daughter's drawings?

Customer: Yes...they have a whimsical charm that will look wonderful in my home.

Mikel: Um...ok, $10?

Customer: Deal...


Mikel: Hey, honey...

Tetra: Hi! Sorry I couldn't get here sooner...I was in publishing meetings all day.

Mikel: Actually, I wanted to ask you about that. Do you have any books that you didn't send to the publisher?

Tetra: Well, maybe a few...from way back when I first started. But why?

Mikel: The craziest thing happened today...you know how Betta's been making all those drawings to put up?

Tetra: Yeah...it's so sweet of you to hang them all.

Mikel: Someone bought one today.

Tetra: What? But you're a bakery...not an art gallery.

Mikel: (laughs) That's what I said to Betta. But no, someone really bought one of her drawings. And then I thought that it might class things up even more if I had some nice literature by the register...you know, showcase a local author?

Tetra: You want to sell my books in your bakery? Oh, honey, don't take those old ones. I've gotten so much better since then. Besides, I've had some ideas for new children's books for awhile now but my publisher just hasn't been going for it.

Mikel: Really? You'd write me new stuff to sell?

Tetra: Of course! I'm so proud of you for getting this place up and running! Come on, let's get home and make sure the kids are still in bed.

Mikel: Ok, just have to lock up...


Well, they may not be in bed but at least they're getting along.


Very well, it seems.


Wait...where's Betta?

Clam: She's inside.

Shark: Dad said she could play her violin in the bakery. She's been there all day.


Looks like the customers appreciate the entertainment, though.


Betta: Did you hear how good I was, Dad? I even made 15 whole dollars!

Mikel: I sure did. You helped me out a lot!

Betta: I did?

Mikel: Sure! You kept people busy so they didn't notice how long it took me to ring them up! How about I make Saturday your special concert day? You can come help me every week!

Betta: Really? That's so awesome! Thanks, Dad!


And it looks like we get to end the week on a good note for everyone! I'll see you guys next round!





A Message From the Mysterious Voice: And Round 15 begins! I honestly don't know why I haven't had a family own a retail lot before now-it was a lot of fun. It's much less stressful than it was back in TS2, and I suspect it will be even easier when the kids grow into teenagers and can actually help ring people up. (Using the cupcake machine to restock helped, too. It's much faster than baking with the oven.) Betta did bring in a decent amount of tips from her violin once she started building actual violin skill. And yeah, the vampire thing...I had no idea that could happen! From what I can tell, it didn't turn Mikel into a vampire, which is good-but it was still very jarring to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment