Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Howard 1: Round 15





Last round was a sad one for the Howard family, with both grandparents Joy and Cason dying from old age very close to one another. Meanwhile, Disgust carried on the family tradition of spending way too much time in the kitchen, although she wasn't quite as focused on dessert as her father. Herbert continued trying to make a living by running a parenting blog, which didn't sit as well with his daughters as Sadness entered her teen years and Hope grew from a toddler to a child.


Hi, guys...

Herbert: Oh, hi mysterious voice...what's wrong, Sadness?

Sadness: Why is everything all...different in here?

Herbert: Well, we figured with your grandparents not being around anymore, it was time for a change.

Sadness: But...

Herbert: Besides, we wanted the room to look nice for the party tonight.

Party?


Oh, I see. So I guess a birthday party is in order?


Disgust: Nope. We're having a dinner party instead.

Oh, classy...


Or, sort of classy. Don't people typically eat in the dining room during a dinner party?

Herbert: The dining room's full.

With who? All of your relatives are out here.

Disgust: Oh, I invited some people I met at work.


And it looks like Hope is continuing another family tradition...


Becoming BFF's with a Flenderson! Just like their grandmas...


What the...ok, new rule. No more substituting dinner parties for birthday parties. It never goes well.


Sorry about that, Disgust.

Disgust: About what?

About missing your birthday...

Disgust: But we didn't miss my birthday. Look, I've got my piece of cake right here.

But...I didn't see you blow out the candles.

Disgust: Well, I did...I may be older but I'm not that old.


Wait...who is this?

Disgust: Oh, this is Cyrus Aiken...

Aiken...wait, do you know Cindy?

Cyrus: That's my sister...she's just a bit older.


Sadness: So, how do you know my mom?

Cyrus: Oh, I was a dishwasher at her restaurant. We went through kind of a rough patch there for awhile...I had to get a job to help out.

Sadness: I haven't seen you around school...

Cyrus: Oh, yeah, probably not. It got hard to make it there...plus, it felt like I was doing more good pulling double shifts...so, I kind of just...stopped going.

Sadness: What?

Cyprus: Oh, don't worry. I'm starting up again soon. I'm still going to graduate-I just took a little bit of a break.

Sadness: Well, you know...a lot has changed. Maybe I could...show you around your first day back?


Hope: Sadness kissed a boy! Sadness kissed a boy!

Still a sweet moment, despite the pesky little sister...


Hope: So, you see it too, right?

Erica: Yup. That looks just like my monster.

Hope: Good. Nobody else can see it, but I knew it was really there...


Huh...never took you for a painter. 

Sadness: Well, we've got all this stuff down here...I don't know why. I figured I'd try it out.

Your great-grandma was a painter, you know.

Sadness: Really? I never knew that. I knew she loved photography, but Mom never mentioned the painting. Was she any good?

Pretty good, I guess. And from the looks of it, so are you.


Sadness: Really? I mean...of course! I'll be right there...


Hold on, just got to welcome your dad home first. Nice job, Herbert...I think. What is that exactly?

Herbert: Oh, they want me to start live broadcasting stuff. I don't know what, exactly. I know you can do it with video games, so I guess I'll try that first.

So, you're running a parenting blog...that also live streams video games.

Herbert: Yeah...is that weird?

No more weird than any of your other jobs so far.


Sadness: So, the other night, my mom made this weird chicken thing...I swear, her cooking is getting fancier and fancier. Hope wouldn't even touch it.

Cyrus: Yeah, I know...

Sadness: Wait...how do you know?


Cyrus: Well, after we met at the party I looked up your social media accounts...and I found your dad's blog in the process. See? It's even got a picture of that thing your mom made...and your sister refusing to eat it.

Sadness: Ugh! I hate that he does this! It's not even that interesting! And it's not like he's giving people advice or anything-he's just keeping a public journal!

Cyrus: And they pay him for that?

Sadness: Technically yes, but from what I've overheard Mom say it's next to nothing.


Luckily Disgust can fill in the gap. Nice going, Disgust.

Disgust: Thanks.


So I've noticed you've been practicing your gourmet skills now.

Disgust: Yeah, the normal stuff was getting boring. And I just don't have the passion for baking that my dad did.

Believe me, your families waistlines will thank you.


Herbert: So, pastry chef, huh? Congratulations, honey!

Disgust: Thanks...so, what did you do today?

Herbert: Ugh, I livestreamed for like, 5 hours...

Disgust: I'm sorry?

Herbert: Well, apparently it's this thing where I play a game and other people can watch what I do...

Disgust: So, you stayed at home in your pajamas and played a video game.

Herbert: Well, when you put it like that...

Disgust: Herbert, remember when we talked about you having this job, and we agreed it could work because you could stay home with the girls?

Herbert: Yeah...

Disgust: Well, the girls don't need anyone to stay home with them anymore. So, it seems like the benefits of this...career have sort of faded away.

Herbert: Not true. Ok, so today wasn't the most productive day. But you'll see. There's a ton I can get done around here...

Disgust: Like what?

Herbert: Well, you know how you've been asking for a bigger kitchen?

Disgust: You're going to build it? I'd almost rather you keep playing the video games...


What's wrong?

Sadness: (sigh) Mom and Dad are talking about making the kitchen bigger...

Well, given your family's careers it makes sense...

Sadness: But they have to take out Grandma and Grandpa's bedroom to do it.

Oh...

Sadness: Everybody keeps acting like they were never even here! I know we can't keep everything the way it was...but I just wish they'd stop getting rid of everything of theirs in the house.


Maybe hanging out with an old friend will help?

Sadness: Maybe...


Sadness: It's just not fair...it's bad enough that they're not around anymore, but it's like they're trying to erase them from the house.

Riley: Wow...

Sadness: And it's not like we have any other relatives, either...you're lucky. You've got all those cousins...

Riley: Yeah, but it's not like we hang out together all that often. My mom and her sister didn't get along until really recently. I barely know Nemo, or the triplets. Jessie, too, and she was born in the same house as them.

Sadness: But at least you know they're there.

Yeah, you guys didn't really fan out the way the other families did.


Sadness: Mom, do you ever wish you'd had a brother or sister?

Disgust: Sometimes. It certainly would have made it easier when Grandpa and Grandma died. But being an only child had its perks, too.

Hope: Really? What were they?

Sadness: Why not wait until I graduate and then you can find out?

Hope: Huh? Mom, Sadness isn't really going to leave, is she?

Disgust: Well, yes....but not for awhile yet, honey. She still needs to finish high school first. Then she'll be off on her own in a whole different house...

Sadness: Yeah, like that hasn't happened already...

Disgust: What was that?

Sadness: Nothing...


Disgust: So, I was thinking we'd start construction soon...

Herbert: Uh-huh...

Disgust: And you know, all the dust and stuff would be pretty bad for the computer...

Herbert: Uh-huh...

Disgust: Maybe it would be a good idea to...you know...leave the house? 

Herbert: What for? I've got nothing I need to do...

Disgust: You used to love to go into the city...why don't you go down there and explore?

Herbert: I guess...


So, where are we?

Herbert: The arts center. I figured I could get some shots of the paintings for Sadness...she's been so out of sorts lately...


Fan 1: Oh, aren't you Herbert Lytle?

Herbert: Yes...how did you...

Fan 2: We just love your blog! Your girls are so adorable!

Fan 1: How are you doing with Sadness's boyfriend?

Herbert: Wait...how did you know...

Fan 2: I can't believe how big Hope has gotten, either! Those pictures of her and her little friend are so sweet!

Fan 1: My little boy's a picky eater, too...


Herbert: It was so weird, Disgust...they were talking to me like they actually knew them.

Disgust: Well, are you surprised? Isn't this what you wanted?

Herbert: No! I mean, I don't know...I wanted more followers, but once you meet them in public...

Disgust: I don't want to say I told you so, but...

Herbert: I know, I know. You were right. Your mom was right, too...but what can I do? I can't just shut it down.

Disgust: Well, maybe you just need to stop giving out every little detail of their lives. Maybe focus it on you, and what you're doing now that they're in school all day. 

Herbert: Huh...I think I could make that work. And if not, there's always the live streaming...

Disgust: I still can't believe that's a thing.



Hope: Sadness, look!

Sadness: What is it, Hope? I'm kind of busy...

Hope: Chatting with your boyfriend?

Sadness: What do you want?

Hope: Check it out! Someone who reads Dad's blog sent me a toy in the mail!

Sadness: Hope, that's a toddler toy. And you already have it.

Hope: So? I still got it for free! Maybe this isn't so bad after all, if people are going to send me presents! I'm going to go tell Dad to write that I want a tablet...


Hope: Yeah, so I'm pretty much famous. 

Betta: Me too! I made 20 whole dollars playing my violin at the bakery.

Last time it was 10...

Betta: Shh!

Hope: That's not famous. People I don't know sent me stuff without me even asking. That's famous.

Betta: Wait, so they know where you live? Isn't that a little weird? I wouldn't want random people knowing where I live...

Hope: Hey, if they're going to send me free stuff they can know whatever they want.


Well, I guess the new format is paying off...

Herbert: Yeah, I guess so.


And I guess Disgust had a good day too.


Or not...you feeling ok?

Disgust: Oh, yeah. Just a bit of a headache, that's all. It must have been all the construction noise from the renovations...

Right, the new kitchen. So, you going to have people over to show it off?


Disgust: Yup, we sure are!

A black and white bash?

Disgust: Yeah, Herbert read about it on one of his forums or something. Everybody dresses up in black or white outfits, we eat black and white food...it sounded fun. Plus, all our living room furniture is black and white now, so we're already decorated for it.


Herbert: Um, honey? I think you're supposed to dress in black or white...

Sadness: Well, I don't have a white dress. And there is black in this...


Hope: So, what are we supposed to do?

Viola: I don't know, it's your party.

Hope: It's not my party, it's my mom's party. I guess we have to talk about black or white things...like zebras.

Viola: Or newspapers.

Hope: Or...these cookies.

Viola: Or that couch!

Ok, if you two are going to try and name every black or white thing in the room we're going to be here awhile.


And now I understand the real purpose of this party. Nice job, Disgust.

Disgust: Thanks. I'm just glad I was able to finish it earlier than my dad did.


Herbert: Huh...

What?

Herbert: Well, it just occurred to me that I don't exactly know what a...what was it? A meme? I don't know what that is.

(sigh) Unfortunately, that explanation will have to wait until next round, Herbert. It's time for me to be on my way.



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: This family is...odd. I realized while playing this lot that this is the only family left in town that hasn't expanded to a second lot. The closest was Confusion marrying Sabrina, but even then they really stuck more to the Flenderson side. It was weird trying to throw a party for them because unlike almost every other house, there wasn't a mile-long list of cousins to invite. I didn't actually miss Disgust's birthday, by the way. The game bugged when I tried to have her blow out her candles. I had to reset her with debug cheats, and when I did she aged up automatically since I had already initiated the "blow out candles" interaction. She still got her happy moodlet, so I guess no harm done. And I'm not sure how I feel about the black and white bash-I don't love that the game automatically assigns outfits-some of them were very awkward. (Sadness actually got assigned a piece of CC I have that doesn't work, hence why I had to change her into her burgundy formal dress.)


No comments:

Post a Comment