Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Doe 1: Round 13



Last round was...shall we say, challenging for the newly established Doe family. Christin and Mackerel moved into their newly purchased home, only to find Mackerel forgot to account for the cost of any furnishings. This led them to spend their first days of married life camping in their front yard. When Christin became pregnant, this state of affairs was clearly no longer adequate. Luckily, by the time their Garnet was born they could at least afford a bed and a shower. 


How's it going, Christin?

Christin: Oh, the same, I suppose.

Still making do with...

Christin: You can say it. Everything here is absolute junk.


Well, not everything is junk. How's the little guy doing?

Mackerel: He's doing alright, I think. But I'm just worried for when he grows up. I've seen how much stuff Tetra has for her three-we just can't afford all that!

Don't worry, I'm sure not all of that stuff is really necessary...

Mackerel: Tetra sure makes it sound like it is.


At least the bed looks semi-comfortable...

Christin: Yeah, actually...um...we were just going to...

Enough said. I'll go watch the baby...


Um, not that I'm not excited for you, but...is this really the best time for this?

Christin: No! It is absolutely not!


Christin: So, you know how we were just starting to get on our feet with one baby?

Mackerel: Yeah...

Christin: Well...

Mackerel: Well, what?

Christin: I'm pregnant...

Mackerel: You're what?


Mackerel: This can't be right...are you sure you read the test right?

I'm sure I read the test right.

Christin: Well, you know, we did always say we wanted more than one child.

Mackerel: Yeah, but we also said that we should have a fully furnished home first.

Christin: We never actually said...

Mackerel: It was implied!


At least you won't have two babies at the same time. (I was getting worried there for a minute.)


Happy birthday, dear Garnet...





Aww, he's cute...


Christin: Oh, no...

What?

Christin: We remembered to paint the walls, but the floor is still concrete. We need to get carpet down in here if he's going to be walking around.

The house didn't come with floors? Who sold you this place?

Christin: Apparently concrete counts as a floor. Anything else has to be supplied by us.

Man, you guys need to get a new real estate agent.


Glad you were able to get the kid a bed, though.

Christin: Yup. It doesn't match the bedding and it's made of plastic, but at least we got one.


Mackerel: Stupid cheap sink...

If it's that cheap wouldn't it be easier to replace the thing?

Mackerel: Easier, yes. But with the new baby coming we can't really be replacing everything that breaks.

What if the computer breaks?

Mackerel: It already has. We had to hire someone for that until one of us learns how to fix it without killing ourselves.


Good thing you did, too.

Mackerel: Yeah, tell me about it.


At that promotion came just in time! Time to meet baby #2!


And Mackerel was actually able to make it this time!

Mackerel: As long as she gives birth before 10, I'll be good.


Christin: So, if we could do this as quickly as possible...

Doctor: Ehm...ok...


It's a girl! Welcome, baby Amethyst!


Christin: Alright...let's go home! I'm sure your big brother will be excited to see you!


Looks like he's more excited to see you.

Garnet: Mommy! Mommy!

Christin: Not now, honey. Mommy's got to get changed and head to work.

Already? You just gave birth.

Christin: I know, but we still can't afford for either of us to miss a day. You be good for the babysitter, Garnet.

Babysitter? I'm surprised you guys are using that option.

Christin: I know. We really should be using the free daycare but...I just don't like the idea of sending him away all day. It's not that big of an expense if we only pay for it for the few hours we're both out.


Which means these guys get to meet Nanny Faith too.


Garnet: Look at my dinosaur!

Faith: Very nice! But why don't we try and get your room straightened up before your mommy gets home? Let's put these toys away...

Garnet: Where?

Kind of hard to pick up your own toys if you don't have a toy box.

Faith: I suppose so.


And it looks like Christin's becoming a food critic.


Congratulations!

Christin: Thanks. I figured I have to eat anyway-I might was well get paid for writing about it.


Christin: Oh...um...sure, come on over!

You don't sound that thrilled...

Christin: Well, it's just that our house isn't exactly guest ready, you know? And especially with Mackerel's family...I just don't want them to worry about us too much.


Tetra: Wow...it sure is...spacious!

Christin: You don't have to lie...

Tetra: Oh, Christin, why didn't you guys let us know how bad things were? We all could have chipped in...well, except for Salmon. From what I hear he's not doing so well either. But what do you expect when you change jobs every week?

Christin: Is that what he's doing?

Tetra: According to Jamaica it is. But seriously, if there's anything you need...

Christin: We couldn't ask you to do that. Besides, Mackerel would lose it if he knew I was asking his family for help. And anyway, things are starting to get better. This time we were able to have paint on the walls before the baby was born. That's progress, right?

Tetra: I guess. And speaking of, where is my new niece?

Christin: Oh, she's right through here...


Christin: Here she is! 

Tetra: Oh, Christin, she's adorable! I can already tell she looks just like you!

Christin: So what do you think-will Betta like having a little playmate?

Tetra: Oh, they all will. We should totally get them together. I'd love to take Garnet down to the library one afternoon if having him with the baby is too much.

Christin: Oh, Tetra, stop it. You have three of your own.

Tetra: Exactly. What's one more?


Hey, look at that! A bathtub!

Christin: Yeah, we really had no choice on that one. He was starting to get pretty smelly.

One more essential checked off the list.


And just in time, too. Otherwise we'd have two smelly toddlers running around here.


Happy birthday, dear Amethyst...


Oh, great...can't wait to see how the nanny does with that.


She is cute, though.


And Tetra was right-she really does look like Christin.


Christin: Ok, Amethyst, why don't we give Garnet a turn with that toy, ok?

Amethyst: No! Mine!

Garnet: Mine first!

Well, it looks like it's about time for me to head on my way. Good luck resolving this one, Christin. I'll see you guys next round.



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: So things are getting a little bit better for these guys. Christin was actually able to publish some books, so the daily royalties have been helping. I was debating even letting these guys have another child, but I really wanted them to have a girl. At least Garnet and Amethyst can babble with each other and raise their communication skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment