Thursday, February 16, 2017

Flenderson 3: Round 13


Last round, newlyweds Brock and Isla Flenderson settled into their new home. Brock followed his father's footsteps in the entertainer career, while Isla became a professional artist. Although money was tight, they soon found themselves expecting their first child, Viola, who by the end of the week had grown from a baby to a toddler.


Hi, guys!

Isla: Oh, hi there mysterious voice!

Getting ready for breakfast?

Isla: Yes we are. We have a big adventure planned for today, don't we?

Adventure?


I think the flea market is hardly an adventure by now...

Isla: When you take a toddler it is.


Wait...you can do that?

Isla: Sure, why not?

Well, there won't be much for her to do there.

Isla: Don't worry, I planned for that.


Isla: Ok, you got your book?

Viola: Yes!

Isla: And you've got Mr. Squid?

Viola: Yes!

Isla: Good. Now, I want you to sit right here while Mommy goes shopping. You can watch Daddy play guitar.


Oh, so I guess this was the other reason for today's little adventure. You know, there's a performance space just over there...

Brock: Eh, someone's already using it.


I'll admit, she's very well behaved.



Oh, it's you again...

Isla: This is our new neighbor...what did you say your name was? Vladsauce or something?

Vlad: Please, just Vlad is perfectly acceptable.

Brock: Yeah, well, um...Vlad, listen, it's getting pretty late, so...

Vlad: Oh, I see. You wish to retire for the evening. I hope you won't mind if I just stay and use your facilities before I go...

Brock: Well, the thing is, we have a young daughter, and...

Vlad: I assure you I will not disturb the child.

Isla: Oh, relax Brock. He just wants to use the bathroom. Isn't that right, Vlad?

Vlad: Yes, of course. Then I shall take my leave.


Um...

Vlad: May I help you?

Yeah, um, first off, hi. I don't think we've met. I'm the mysterious voice-I narrate things around here. Second, this doesn't look like utilizing the facilities to me. And third, I thought you said you weren't going to wake up Viola.

Vlad: If you're referring to the child, she awoke on her own accord. And I said nothing about which facilities I would be using. My home is very grand, but it is not exactly modern in its amenities. But if you insist, I shall take my leave now.


Viola: Daddy!

Brock: What's wrong, sweetie? Did you have a nightmare?

Viola: Scary man! 

Brock: You saw a scary man?

Viola: Uh-huh!

Brock: What did he look like?

Viola: Pointy!

Brock: Well, don't worry honey. It was just a dream. Tell you what, since you were such a good girl at the flea market, why don't I take you on another adventure today while Mommy's at work? Just you and me.


You're taking a toddler to GeekCon?

Brock: Yeah. Maybe she'll see some superhero or princess and forget all about the nightmare.


Or...a scary, pointy man.


Viola: Daddy! Bad guy!

Well, she's not wrong...

Cosplayer: No, no, really, little girl. It's ok. I'm just wearing a costume...I'm not really a bad guy...are...are you hiding behind a squid?

Um...whoever you are under that costume...you're kind of doing more harm than good.


At least Isla had a good day.


Back home?

Brock: Yeah. That...didn't go so well. I forgot how many people at GeekCon like to dress up like villains.

Viola: Daddy, I saw a bad guy!


Brock: Now Viola, you know that bad guy wasn't real, right? He was just a normal person wearing a funny costume.

Viola: He was not funny! He was scary!

Brock: Ok, a scary costume. But he was just pretending.

Viola: Like I pretend with my toys?

Brock: That's right. So there's no reason to be scared.

Isla: Brock, come in here once you're done with the bath! We've got company.

Brock: Oh, no... 


Oh, goody. Look who's back.

Isla: Vlad! What are you doing here, it's almost 11 at night!

Vlad: I hope you'll forgive the intrusion. I was out for a stroll and I noticed your lights on.

Brock: You were out for a stroll at 11 at night?

Vlad: Indeed. I always find this to be the best time for quiet contemplation.

Brock: Quiet contemplation, huh? Well, listen Vlad, we'd love to have you stay, but...

Isla: Oh, of course we would! We were just going to turn in, but help yourself to a snack or something before you go. Just be careful not to wake up Viola...

Brock: Isla...

Isla: What? I'm being a good neighbor!


Vlad: Oh...it's you again. Why have you awoken, child?

Viola: I'm...I'm hungry...

Vlad: Very well. I shall see what I can procure from the kitchen.

Um...you do know this isn't your house?

Vlad: Surely you don't want to let the child starve?

Of course not, it's just that...

Vlad: Very well then.


Vlad: There now. I hope you'll find that satisfactory.

Viola: Want some?

Vlad: Oh, goodness no. I'm afraid my dietary requirements are quite...different from yours.

Viola: You talk funny.


Viola: Why are you so pointy?

Vlad: I do not know how to answer such a question...

Viola: Why are you grey? Are you old?

Vlad: Heavens, no.

Viola: The other pointy guy was red. Why aren't you red?

Vlad: I do not know what you are talking about, child.

Maybe this is the key to keeping him out of the house...chatter him away.


Nice going, Brock.

Brock: Thanks.


Isla: I don't know why you're so worried...

Brock: Really? Isla, you invited a strange man to hang out in our house while we were asleep. You know, I think Viola saw him.

Isla: Oh, no she didn't. She was asleep the entire time.

Brock: She keeps having nightmares about a pointy man.

Isla: It was probably that cosplayer at GeekCon. You know, you really should have looked into that more before you took her there.

Brock: I'm telling you, she saw that Vlad guy and he gave her nightmares. And I don't blame her-that guy's just creepy!

Isla: Brock, he's our neighbor.

Brock: Not really...I've been checking around. He lives way at the other end of town, down by the woods. 

Isla: I didn't think anybody lived down there.

Brock: Well, apparently he does, and yet for some reason he just always happens to be "walking by" our house super late at night.

Isla: Maybe he just likes really long walks.


Well, at least the nightmares should be a thing of the past soon enough.


Happy birthday, dear Viola...


Looks like you guys should invest in some monkey bars.


What's wrong?

Viola: Well, first off, you spelled my name wrong.

Huh...oh, sorry.

Viola: And second, I can't see...

Oh, right. Your glasses...


There, now. Better?

Viola: Much better.

So, what are you going to do on your first day as a big kid?

Viola: I don't know...I guess I'll go outside for awhile.


Hey, look who it is. Viola, meet Corellia. She's your neighbor from across the street.

Viola: Oh, so you're like, really our neighbor.

Corellia: What do you mean?

Viola: Well, there's this other guy who says he's our neighbor that keeps coming over...you guys haven't seen him, right? He only comes super late at night.

Corellia: I don't think so. Hey, do you want to come to the kids' center with me?

Viola: Sure...if you show me where it is. I've never been there before.


Corellia: So, tell me more about this creepy guy.

Viola: I don't know, I'm starting to think I might have made him up. But a bunch of times when I was little, I got out of bed in the middle of the night...my mom and dad were both asleep, but there was this weird guy in our living room.

Corellia: I win! So how weird was he?

Viola: Well, he was super white...like, his skin was almost grey. And his face was really sharp and pointy, and...this is going to sound crazy but when he went to leave, he turned into black smoke and just disappeared.

Corellia: You're right. That does sound crazy...but it just might work...

Viola: Huh?

Corellia: You think you could come over and tell my mom and dad about him?

Viola: Why?

Corellia: Well, if there's some weird creepy guy walking around, my mom and dad would have to get our nanny back.

Viola: He only comes super late at night, though. I've never seen him during the day. Besides, why would you want to have a babysitter again?

Corellia: (sigh) Can we just try it? Please?


Nice job, Isla.

Isla: Thanks.


Brock: Congratulations, honey.

Isla: Thanks. Listen, about the other day...

Brock: No, I know you were only trying to be friendly. 

Isla: And now that I've had some time to think about it, it was a little strange letting him stay after we went to bed. I promise, next time he comes I'll at least stay up until he leaves.

Brock: Thank you, but I'm kind of hoping we've seen the last of Vlad for a little while.

Well, as much as I'd like to hang around on Vlad watch, I've got to be moving on. I'll see you guys next round. 





A Message From the Mysterious Voice: So this lot was a strange one. I'm not sure why I decided to get Vlad into the story here-there's really nothing about these guys that suggests "vampire friends". But having Viola be an only child kind of works with it. She really did have a ton of nightmares-I don't know if Vlad really inspired them, but she had more than any other toddler I've had in the game so far.  I also don't know what possessed me to take a toddler to not 1 but 2 festivals. She was able to entertain herself pretty well with her books and toys, but the festival lots aren't exactly set up for toddler care. 













No comments:

Post a Comment