Friday, February 3, 2017

Flenderson 2: Round 13




Last round, Thunder and Lightning Flenderson unexpectedly grew to teenagers. Meanwhile, both Jase and Rain were treated to a "visit" from their distant alien relatives. Thankfully neither came back with any new additions. 


Hi, guys!

Jase: Hi, mysterious voice.

Lightning: Yeah, hi.

So, need I ask what's on the agenda for today? 


Man, this flea market is the new hot hangout around here, huh?

Thunder: Yeah, kind of. I'm going with Alderaan.

Oh, really?


Wait, Lightning's tagging along?

Thunder: Yeah, why not?

Won't that be kind of awkward?

Thunder: Nah. She wanted to do some shopping anyway, and besides, maybe she'll meet someone too. Who knows?


Hi there, Alderaan!

Alderaan: Oh, great. You brought your sister and you brought the mysterious voice.

Thunder: Yeah, sorry about that...

Speaking of, where is Lightning?


I didn't know you sang.

Lightning: I don't...at least, I don't think I'm very good. But there's not a lot of good stuff out at the market so I have to kill some time.



Alderaan: There you are. You're not going to believe this website I found...

Lightning: Alien Lifestyle.com?

Alderaan: It's a site about how awesome aliens are. People write in with stories and stuff-it's to raise awareness, I guess. I thought you guys might like to see it. I'm going to show it to Thunder, too. Maybe you guys can write in.

Lightning: ...You know, I'm not seeing a whole lot of aliens posting on this thing.

Alderaan: Yeah, that was weird to me too. But at least they're not saying that you guys are scary or weird, right? That's a plus.

Lightning: I guess so...


Thunder: Hey, look! Karaoke! We should totally sing a duet!

Alderaan: You know what, I think I'm good. 

Thunder: Come on, I've heard you play your violin. You're great at music.

Alderaan: No, no...(laughs)...I'd much rather watch you...


Lightning: (sigh) I've tried to talk to like, 5 different guys out here. And every time, the first thing they do is point out that I'm an alien.

I thought you didn't care that you were an alien.

Lightning: I don't. At least, I don't think I care. And they don't say anything mean. But...I just don't like that it's the first thing they notice, you know? Or that they have to point it out, like they solved a puzzle or something.


And it's time for our weekly dinner with Blair.

Rain: Villa Bovine...fancy. Let me just dig my formal dress out and I'll be right there!


Blair: Hi there...uh-oh...

Rain: What?

Blair: The dress I brought is exactly the same. Should I go home and pick another one?

Rain: Nah, if anyone says anything we'll just say we're twins.

As close as you two are it's practically true.


Waiter: Alright, so that will be the grilled chicken with white nectar and the pasta primavera with a coffee. It will be right out.

Rain: Did you ever think when you were growing up that we'd be able to work in a restaurant without so much as a hairstyle change?

Blair: No...never. But I guess it just doesn't matter, does it?

Rain: Well, I wouldn't say that. The kids are having some trouble...well, Lightning's having some trouble.

Blair: I thought you said they'd never been teased...

Rain: Oh, she's not being teased. Quite the opposite, in fact. Or, if she is, she's never told me. But she's having an awful time dating. Every guy she talks to seems to only care about her being an alien. What about Jessie and Riley?

Blair: Riley's doing fine, no dating for her yet. As long as she's got her monkey bars, she's good. And Jessie doesn't talk to me much these days. Typical teenager stuff.

Rain: Oh, yes, I know. Every time I ask Thunder about him and Alderaan he suddenly has a very important assignment to get done.





Wait, you're going to GeekCon?

Rain: Why not? The kids are at school, Jase is at work. I've got the time.


Never would have taken you for a gamer.

Rain: Well, I had to do something to get out of the house! I'm starting to see my computer screen even when I look at the wall. 

I guess being a stay at home author has its drawbacks.


Man, you guys are just all over the town this week.


Thunder: Man, you guys are all great dancers...I should have practiced before coming over here. I didn't know we were going to a real "dance club".

Moss: Eh, it's fine, Thunder. Nobody's looking...

Thunder: I'm pretty sure everyone is looking...


Hey, look at that. Jase is still around. Nice job, Jase.

Jase: Thanks.


And someone completed an adult aspiration! Great job, Rain!

Rain: Thanks. 


Who's this?

Lightning: Oh, this is Joaquin. I met him at the dance club last night.

You were there too? I didn't see you.

Lightning: Well, that's because you were too busy watching Thunder embarrass himself.

Joaquin: Well, this has been fun, but I've got to get home. My wife will have dinner ready...

Lightning: Your...wife?

Joaquin: Yeah...did I not tell you about my wife? She's amazing. We even have a little boy together.

Lightning: ...Oh...

Joaquin: But this has been great, though. Really great. You aliens are alright.

Lightning: "You aliens?"


Lightning: I can't believe it! He didn't mention anything about being married when I invited him over!

Rain: I can't believe it either. What kind of adult guy accepts an invitation from a teenage girl he met at a dance club when he has a wife and kid?

Lightning: What if I never find anyone? What if I'm alone forever?

Thunder: Lightning, that won't happen...

Lightning: Easy for you to say! You've got Alderaan.


Lightning: Mom, it's just not fair!

Rain: What isn't?

Lightning: I'm tired of being everyone's "alien friend"! It's like, I don't know if they're talking to me because they like me, or because they just think it's cool to know an alien and I'm the first one they found. 

Rain: I know how you feel, honey...

Lightning: No you don't! When you were a teenager nobody knew you were an alien! You decided for people to know! I had it decided for me!

Rain: Hey, trying to hide it was no picnic either. You have it so much easier now...look around! We're everywhere! You said it once yourself-half your class looks like you. Or at least sort of like you.

Lightning: It's not just how I look! Yesterday I accidentally read someone's mind in class...

Rain: Did you get in trouble?

Lightning: No! The teacher made me do it again and again...it was like I was some sort of entertainment instead of a normal kid. (sigh) I need to vent. Can I go out for the afternoon?

Rain: As long as you don't bring back any more DJ's, sure.

Lightning: Don't worry, I'm just going to the gym.

Rain: Oh, you should give Jessie a call and see if she'll go with you. She might be a good person to talk to about all this, you know.

Lightning: Yeah, maybe.


Oh, hey Jessie.

Lightning: Ready to work out?

Jessie: Yeah, do you want to hit the treadmill first or...

Lightning: No, I have something else in mind.


At least you've found a healthy outlet for your anger.


So, no unexpected visitors this week?

Jase: Thankfully, no.

Rain: Jase, honey, I'm starting to get worried about Lightning. All these guys rejecting her is really starting to hurt her self esteem.

Jase: She's a teenager, Rain. Everything hurts her self esteem.

Rain: But if she's going around looking for older guys in nightclubs...

Jase: Wait, what?

I take it Jase didn't meet Joaquin?

Rain: No, Lightning was smart enough to invite him over while he was at work.

Jase: Who's this Joaquin? Where is he?

Rain: Relax, Jase. Nothing happened. He came over once, they hung out on the back porch, and they haven't seen each other since.


Thunder: Sounds great, but...do you mind if Lightning comes too?

Alderaan: Again?


Thunder: I thought you and Lightning were friends.

Alderaan: We are, but...I was kind of hoping we could have an outing where it's just the two of us?

Thunder: It's not like she hangs around us the entire time.


No, right now she's hanging around...who is this?

Lightning: Oh, this is Hugo.

I see...well hopefully these will start turning into double dates soon. But for now, I have to be on my way. I'll see you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Man, I felt really bad for Lightning playing this lot. Every time I sent her to talk to someone, she would get the "So and so discovered that Lightning is an alien!" message and immediately get embarrassed, or the other person would get angry and the relationship would start off in the red. I initially thought I'd be able to match her up with Joaquin when she grew up, but then I noticed that he had a spouse already. (I miss the days when every townie was single.) Thunder and Alderaan are pretty cute together, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment