Monday, June 5, 2017

Bernard 4: Round 15



We're nearing the home stretch of round 15 as we approach our last two houses! This one belongs to Luke Bernard and his new wife, Cindy Aiken...


Hi, Luke...

Luke: Oh, hi mysterious voice.

So how are you two settling in?

Luke: Great. We're just getting things lined up with our jobs.


Alright, looks like we've got another budding...is it chef or mixologist, Cindy?

Cindy: Mixologist. Luke and I have the same aspiration, you know.

I actually didn't know that...


And I guess there's no talking you out of this, huh?

Luke: Nope.


Cindy: I never knew you wanted to be a detective! I thought we could both be mixologists together.

Luke: Well, I love mixology too, but...I guess you could say I have a calling.

Cindy: Well, ok...but just be careful.

Luke: I will be, I promise. And you know...mixology isn't the only thing we can do together...


And that's my cue to get out of the room...


Huh, wouldn't have taken you for an artist.

Luke: Well, it turns out they don't need me down at the station for a few days. This always helped Leia calm down; I figured I'd give it a try.

Where's Cindy?

Luke: Some people came to the front door...I let her handle it. I'm not really in the mood for visitors right now.


Cindy: I'm so glad you all could stop by...

Lucas: Well, after you stopped at our house it was the least we could do...

Cindy: Um...excuse me for a minute. I'm just going to go use the restroom...


I guess we'll have to cut the welcome wagon a little short!


Cindy: Can you believe it? We're going to be parents!

Luke: I know...and I promise, I'm going to be the best father...

Cindy: Oh, sorry. That's my phone...it hasn't stopped ringing with congratulations all morning.


Cindy: Hey, you want to go out to dinner with your cousin?

Luke: Sure...where?

Cindy: Villa Bovine...

Luke: Um...

Cindy: What? Is there something about that place I should know?

Luke: Not exactly, but...I'm going to need you to do me a favor when we get there.


Cindy: Yeah, hi...we have a reservation for 3, but...this is going to sound so weird...my husband kind of told his family that he works at the bar here, so...could you maybe...pretend that you know him? 

Host: .... Excuse me?

Cindy: I know it's an odd request, but...you know what? Never mind. We'll figure something else out.


Alderaan: It must be so much fun working here...this place is so fancy.

Luke: Right...yeah. Yeah, it is.

Alderaan: I feel like I'm a spy...who are all these people?

Luke: Oh, well...these are the day shift guys. I mainly work at night, you know. So I don't know these guys as well...um...I'm going to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back.


Alderaan: Gee, Luke doesn't seem very eager for us to be here. I thought he'd be excited to show us where he worked-that's why I suggested this place.

Cindy: Well, you know Luke...nothing if not modest.

Alderaan: I guess...


Alderaan: Maybe I can come back at night one time when you're working...

Luke: Um...I don't know if that's the best idea, really. I mean, it gets pretty busy. I wouldn't be able to really talk or anything.


Cindy: Well that was awkward. Why in the world would you tell your family you worked at a restaurant?

Luke: Well...they don't exactly know I'm joining the force...most of them don't, at least. My brother Han knows...but he's the only one I've told. The rest still think I'm becoming a mixologist.

Cindy: But why? I would think they'd be proud to have a son who's a police officer...especially after your....father...Luke, you're not....

Luke: Yes, I am. Cindy, someone needs to hold him accountable for what he's doing!

Cindy: But does that person have to be you?

Luke: Apparently it does.

Cindy: (sigh) Look, I have to go to work...we'll talk about this later, ok?

Luke: Fine...



Nice job, Cindy.

Cindy: Thanks. I just wish I had done a bit better in school so I could have started a little higher up.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll catch up.


Cindy: Oh, great...

Um, aren't you excited?

Cindy: Of course. But today is supposed to be Luke's first day down at the station...and he's supposed to leave in five minutes!


Luke: Are you sure you don't want me to stay here?

Cindy: No, no. You've been waiting to start work for days now....ow!

Luke: Ok, look, I'm just going to stop in for a minute to tell them you're in labor...


Too late...


It's a girl...and I guess Luke's new hobby influenced the name theme.


Aww, she's cute...


Luke: Well, what do you think? How does Daddy look in his new uniform?

I thought you didn't go in...

Luke: Well, I went for a few minutes, just to pick up the uniform and sign some papers. But as soon as they found out Cindy just gave birth, they sent me right back home.

Good to know the police station cares about work-life balance.


Luke: What the...why does she want to meet me in the woods?

I'll admit, it is an odd choice of a location....


Leia: So I guess it's true...

Luke: Han told you, didn't he? I knew he'd spill it...

The fact that you're still wearing your uniform might have clued her in too.

Leia: Luke, listen to me. This is a really bad idea...

Luke: I don't understand why everyone keeps defending him!

Leia: I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes. He has-lots of them. But you're his son. Why don't you just talk to him...

Luke: He had his chance to talk, Leia, and he blew it every single time. Besides, you're the one who's going to be raising kids in that house...

Leia: Yes! And I don't want those kids to have to watch their uncle arrest their grandfather!

Luke: Look, I don't have time for this. I have to get down to the station...


...Well, I'm not quite sure I agree with that description of the town, but ok...let's go.


So, what do we do first?

Luke: Well, today's just sort of a training day I guess. I have to follow around some other officers while they investigate a crime scene.

Crime scene?

Luke: Yeah...you seem confused.

Well, it's just this whole crime thing is kind of coming out of nowhere...


Huh, I guess there is more crime in this town than I realized.


Although most of it just appears to be graffiti on the floor.

Luke: It's not just graffiti! It's breaking and entering!

If you say so...


Luke: See? I knew those paint samples would be useful.

So?

Luke: Well...the other officers kind of take it back over from here, I guess...but I get to go out on patrol now.

Patrol for what? I've been narrating this town for 15 rounds now and I've barely seen anyone litter...


Luke: Hello there, citizen! Fine day we're having, isn't it?

Yeah, I kind of agree with her eye roll...

Luke: You know, you're not being very helpful...


Luke: Finally...

What?

Luke: They got a description of the guy who defaced all those apartments. Let's go...

Man, just watching this job is giving me whiplash...


Luke: Huh? But...my dad's not ambitious...

You didn't honestly think your father would be the only criminal in town, did you? Or that you would arrest him on your first day?

Luke: Well...


Luke: Ok, let's see...male...short sleeve shirt...slacks....

And how exactly do you tell if someone is ambitious?

Luke: Just trust me, I'll know...


All right, but can we hurry this up? It's your daughter's birthday...


Luke: Ok, right after we bring this thug back down to the station!

Really? I think a fine would be more than appropriate...

Luke: Nope! He's coming downtown...

So...did they hand you a manual of cop catchphrases when you got here, or did you just watch a bunch of old movies?


Alright, now that that's over with...Happy Birthday, dear Tempera...



(sigh) We had to roll it eventually...


Luckily for her she's cute...


And before I could even change her hair...you know, this is just a thought, but...maybe we should stop leaving paint everywhere when there are toddlers in the house?


Luke: Hey! What are you doing? You can't just throw paint all over the ground...

Luke? Why don't you take a minute to get out of cop mode while I give her a new hairstyle...


Luke: I'm sorry I yelled, sweetie. But Daddy really doesn't like it when you make a mess in the house. Mommy won't like it either....

Speaking of...


Nice job, Cindy.

Cindy: Thanks. I just wish I didn't have to stay at work so late...I'm sure Tempera's already asleep by now.


So, you on another case now?

Luke: Yup. I just know that this one's going to be the one...

Well, unfortunately I can't stick around to see it. It's time for me to be on my way. I'll see you guys next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Well, we've got our first detective. All in all, I like the detective career, but it involves a lot more lot switching than the other two. And even though the first crime scene had "clues" for Luke to sample, the other two he visited did not (hence why there were no pictures of them.) I ended up having Luke take up painting to bring in some sort of income since he ended up not even going into work until four days into the week; Cindy really did go into labor 5 minutes before he was supposed to go for the first time. (He left the lot on his own, and returned almost immediately.) One more lot to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment