Friday, June 2, 2017

Lytle 3: Round 15

 

And now, we arrive at the first of many new households for Round 15. This one belongs to Forest Lytle (the second child of Charley and Nimbus) and his new wife Anna. Forest has ambitions to be a friend to the world, while Anna aspires to have a thriving garden.
 

Hi, Forest.

Forest: Oh, hi mysterious voice.

What've you got there?

Forest: Oh, just something I picked up from Galaxy next door.

The parenting book?

Forest: How did you know?

You do realize I go see them before you, right?

Forest: Oh, right...

Anyway, don't you think you should get yourself a job before you start getting ready for kids?
 

Forest: Way ahead of you.

Doctor? Huh...not what I would have guessed. It's been awhile since we had one, though.
 

What about you, Anna?

Anna: What?

Aren't you going to choose a job?

Anna: ...I have a job already. I'm a chef.

Oh...well, that's good. So I guess you guys are all set up then...

Forest: Well, there is one more thing...
 

Hey hey hey...hold on there you two. I think I hear people outside...
 

Must be time for the welcome wagon.

Nemo: I'm glad you guys decided to move down here. Always great to have a little more alien DNA around, huh?

Anna: Um...I'm not an alien....

Nemo: You're not?

Anna: Nope.

Nemo: But...you're blue...

Anna: Um...being blue doesn't make you an alien.

Well, up until you got here, it did in this town.

Anna: So wait, you're telling me I'm the only person with blue skin who's not an alien in this entire town?

I'm afraid so.


Although perhaps you won't be for much longer.


Forest: Oh, hey Moss...sure, I can stop by...I don't start work until tomorrow. Yeah, it has been awhile since I've seen the girls...

You mean since Sprite's birthday party...two houses ago?

Forest: Hey, you never know. Kids grow fast...

Is that what the book said?

Forest: Look, you coming or not?

Alright, let's go...
 

Snapple: Hi Uncle!

Forest: ...You don't know which uncle I am, do you?

Forest, she's a toddler. Plus, given how big your family is I'm impressed she knows you're her uncle at all.
 

Sprite: Uncle Forest...can I ask you a question?

Forest: I guess...

Sprite: How did you know which wishing well to buy to bring back Uncle Hunter?

Forest: Well, your dad and I didn't know. It just sort of did.

Sprite: Did you ever see Uncle Hunter when he was a ghost?

Forest: No, only his wife did.

Sprite: So maybe he didn't really die. Maybe he was faking...

Forest: Trust me, Sprite. He wasn't faking...

Well, as lovely as this family bonding has been I think it's time we headed back home. After all, you start work in the morning.


Anna: Have a good first day at work, honey. Here, I packed you a lunch. Veggies and hummus. You know, to impress your doctor friends.

Forest: I don't exactly have doctor friends yet, Anna. I'm an orderly. I'm just going to be delivering food and medicine.

Anna: Still, you're going to be helping a lot of people. I'm so proud of you.

 

Forest: Here you go, ma'am. You'll feel better in no time.

Patient: Are you sure? Because the last time I was here for this they gave me this same stuff and it didn't work at all.

Forest: Er...it didn't?

Patient: No, it didn't. And to top it off, it made me all dizzy...I almost fell walking home. But if you're sure that won't happen again...

Forest: Well, I guess I could check with the doctor...
 

 Huh...Anna's farther along than I thought.
 

 I'm glad somebody had a good day at work though.
 

(Buzz)

Forest: Oops....oh, no...I'm so sorry...

 Lily: Sorry for what? It's not like it hurt...it was just loud.

Forest: Oh...well, the good news is you don't have a fever...
 

 Forest: Oh, hi Pine. Sure, I can stop by. I'm just getting out of work now.
 

 Pine: So, how's my brother the doctor doing?

Forest: Well, I'm not quite a doctor yet...to tell the truth, I'm not that great of an orderly.

Pine: What are you talking about?

Forest: It's just...I know next to nothing about medicine yet.

Pine: Well, duh...you'll learn.

Forest: But then I see these people, and I know they're sick, and they expect me to help them and...I can't. All I can do is hand them some food. Or sometimes I try to take their temperature or something, but I just keep thinking...what if I screw this up? What if I do it wrong, and they get sicker and die because of me?

Pine: Dude, that's what the doctor is there for. You need to not worry so much.

Yeah, besides, most of the diseases around here seem to be nothing more than slightly inconvenient rashes, so I think you're chances of killing someone are actually pretty low.
 

 Plus, it looks like the hospital is more than satisfied with your performance.
 

 Again? Didn't we just hang out with Moss?

Forest: Actually, I hung out with his kids...he wasn't even home. I think he just sent me that text last time to trick me into babysitting for a few hours.
 

Moss: Hey, congrats on the promotion. Forest never told me you were a chef.

Anna: Well, I'm hardly a chef yet, but so far the catering business is going pretty well.

Moss: Well, if you ever need any recommendations, I've got some ties down at the restaurant where I bartend... 
 

 Moss: Hey, Anna...are you feeling alright? 

Anna: Well, since you mentioned it...my stomach started to really hurt about an hour ago...
 

 You'd think her husband who works in a hospital would have noticed that...
 

 Anna: Hi, I think I'm in labor, and...why are there dirty dishes on the reception desk?

Receptionist: Why don't you ask your husband? It's his job to clean up that sort of stuff.

Anna:  But he's not working right now...who's job is it when he's not here?

Receptionist: I dunno. Not mine...

Um...pardon the intrusion but you don't appear to be a receptionist at all...you're another patient.

Receptionist: Hey, there's not much to do in this waiting room. She left her computer free, so I'm using it.

Anna: So...what am I supposed to do?

Receptionist: How should I know? Just walk on back there for all I care...
 

 At least the doctor is in the right place this time.
 

It's a boy! Welcome, Dragon! 
 

 And it looks like you've got your little blue buddy!
 

 Forest...you can come in....

Forest: No, I don't have clearance to go into the surgery room...

It's your wife and child, Forest. I think they'd give you a pass...
 

Forest: So, I was thinking...I know you have to head back to work today...how about I take a day and stay home with Dragon?

Anna: Really?

Forest: Yeah, I've got a few days of vacation saved up already.

Anna: Well, that would save us some money on a nanny...but won't that hurt your job performance taking a day so soon?

Forest: Nah...they'll be fine without me for a day.

Given that there were piles of dishes in the waiting area when Anna gave birth, I don't know if that's true...


 Forest: Hear that, buddy? Daddy's going to stay home with you today...
 

 Anna: Now you be good for Daddy while I go to work...

Pretty sure it'd be impossible for him not to be since...you know...he can't move.
 

 Forest: How was work?

Anna: Ugh, exhausting...

Forest: Here, let me just...

Anna: Oh, that feels nice. How was the baby?

Forest: He was fine! In fact, I think I might stay home with him tomorrow...

Anna: What? Forest...you've got to go to work. He'll be fine with a nanny for a few hours...unless...
 

Forest: Unless what?

Anna: Unless this doesn't have to do with Dragon at all.

Forest: What? Of course it does...

Forest...

Forest: Hey, at least I know I can keep the baby alive, ok? At least I know he's not going to just keel over at any minute because...

Anna: What are you talking about? Wait...is this about Hunter? Forest, Hunter is fine! And even if he wasn't, it's not like you had anything to do with...

Forest: But I did, Anna. I was the one who was always telling him to get out of the house, to go out and have fun...and then when he actually listened to me, he literally laughed himself to death! And I couldn't do anything to help! I thought if I became a doctor I'd at least...I'd at least know what to do if something like that happened again, you know?

Trust me, Forest...that's not going to happen again.

Forest: How do you know? You didn't know it was going to happen the first time...

Anna: Forest, you are an amazing big brother. And you're already an amazing dad. But you can't stop every bad thing in the world...let me ask you this. Has anyone left that hospital worse off since you started working?

Forest: No...I don't think so...

Anna: Well, there you go. You're already doing great. You'll see, before you know it you'll be chief of staff...

Forest: Ha...I think that's a long way off. But...you're right. How'd you get so smart, anyway?

Anna: Eh, maybe it's my "alien genes"...
 

You know, I think the hospital will be relatively peaceful in comparison pretty soon. 
 

Happy birthday, dear Dragon... 
 

Hey, Silly...we haven't seen that one in awhile. 
 

 Although he definitely needs a new shirt...and where'd the blonde hair come from?

Forest: Oh, Anna's hair is naturally blonde. We'll let him decide if he wants to dye it blue like his mom's later.
 

Forest: Alright, buddy...Daddy's got to go to work tomorrow. You listen to Mommy, ok? She's a smart lady.

Aww...well, this seems like a good time for me to be moving on. I'll see all you guys next round!
 


A Message from the Mysterious Voice: And the aftermath of the Hunter fiasco continues. I didn't really give much thought to Forest's career other than "we haven't had a doctor in awhile", but when going back to write the post it actually made sense. He saw his brother die and didn't know what to do, so he went into medicine to try and prevent anything like that from happening to someone else. I actually had no idea Anna was as far along in the culinary career as she was; I found her by searching for "legacy loves" on the gallery and this was the first time I had her as a playable character. It helped out, though. And thankfully someone started having some boys again! Hopefully the gender ration will balance out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment