Saturday, June 10, 2017

Hannon 1: Round 16


Welcome to Round 16 of Tranquility Creek. As always, we begin with the Hannon family. Last round, Mikel was feeling self conscious because his insane trait prevented him from holding a regular job. With his three kids now out of toddlerhood, staying at home alone all day was becoming a bit of a bore. Tetra suggested running his own business, and with the help of her book royalties the family soon found themselves the owners of the "Crazy Cupcakes" bakery. Even the kids managed to help out, with Betta taking a special interest in playing her violin for the customers. 


And it looks like we're kicking off the round with a party!
 

Hi, Tetra!

Tetra: Oh, hi mysterious voice.

So where are we off to for the big celebration?

Tetra: The arcade...well, what used to be the arcade.

What is it now?

Tetra: They've re-named it the "Rainbow Room". They had a whole report on the news about it re-opening...looks pretty much the same to me but the kids are super excited....

Betta: Mom!
Tetra: See?
 

Oh, I guess Betta actually had a question...
 

Not like we had much of a choice there...
 

Mikel: Now remember, when we get there, be careful! We still don't know that they fixed...whatever was wrong with it before.

Clam: Dad, it's just an arcade...
 

Who's your new friend?

Betta: This is my doctor bear!

I see...you know, your grandma was a real doctor.

Betta: Yeah, I know. I think that's why Mommy got him.

Do you want to be a doctor too?

Betta: Eh, I don't know...can you be a doctor and a baker? 
 

Tetra: Great job, honey. You're going to be such a big help down at the bakery!

Betta: But I already help, Mom! I play the violin, remember?

Tetra: I know, but when you guys get bigger you can actually help us work in the bakery. You can help keep the displays clean, you can help ring people out...
 

Clam: Mom? I have a question...

Here we go again...
 

Oh, I actually have more than one choice this time. Um...ask if you can join in?
 

I guess that worked...
 

Alright, so, now we're off to the party?

Tetra: Yup. Let me just pack up the cake...then we're off to the Rainbow Room.
 

Well, these appear to be the same arcade games as before...
 

Ok, so it's looking like they put down new carpeting, put up some new wallpaper, and painted all the furniture.

Tetra: Pretty much...at least they're not charging us any more.
 

Shark: Hi, guys! Thanks for coming...

Ok, we need to do that cake now because this just looks so awkward...
 

Um, Betta?

Betta: Yes?

What are you doing?

Betta: Setting the table. Mom says it's polite to set the table before we eat.

Yes, well...that's at home. I don't think you need to do it at the arcade...
 

Happy birthday, dear Shark...
 

Well, hopefully he can knock out some of that one during his teen years...
 

Not bad looking, though.

Shark: Um...thanks?

 

Wait, the party's over...why are you making another cake?

Mikel: Gotta stock up the bakery tomorrow...if I can keep the kids away from all of this tonight.
 

So how's this little business venture going?

Tetra: Pretty well, actually.

So you're spending your day off here voluntarily?

Tetra: Of course...why wouldn't I? It's still work, but it's different than my normal job.
 

Seems like the kids are still having a good time, too...

Shark: Dad? How much longer until we can go home?

Well, most of them, anyway.
 

Tetra: Betta! Stop that! We have to pay for that, you know.

Betta: Sorry, Mom...
 

Shark: Hey, Viola...no, I'm still at my dad's stupid bakery...yeah, I think I can sneak out. My dad's busy making stuff and my mom's yelling at my sister...
 

Viola: I didn't know your dad owned the bakery. I got a cupcake from there the other day-it was really good.

Shark: I'll tell him you said so...

Viola: Are you a baker too?

Shark: Ha! No...no way. That's going to be my sister's gig, anyway.

Viola: You're lucky to have siblings...sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in school without them.

Um...that's because you are....
 

Shark: So what about you? I heard you were getting a book published...

Viola: It's nothing much...my mom had some ins with an illustrator, they had some ins with the publisher...

Shark: What's it about?

Viola: Remember the stories I used to read in school?

Shark: About that pointy superhero?

Viola: That's the one.

Shark: Man, I wish I could make money off stuff I dreamed up as a kid...oh, crap...

Viola: What?

Shark: The bakery! It's almost 10! I was supposed to help them close it up!
 

And it doesn't look like that's all you're missing. You'd better get home.
 

Tetra: There you are! Where in the world did you disappear to?

Shark: I...um...I sort of went on a date...

Tetra: Without telling us? Shark...

Shark: What's the big deal? It's not like I went to another country. I went down the road to a diner...

Tetra: That's not the point, Shark. We had things we needed to do.

Shark: Like what?

Tetra: Like have a party for the twins, for one thing...

Shark: Well, ok...we can have it tomorrow...

Tetra: Well, it's too late now. If we wait until tomorrow we'll miss it. We'll just have to do it here.


Well, home birthdays can be nice too. Happy birthday, dear Betta....
 

Yes! Another combination that works!
 

Although that outfit really, really doesn't....
 

Happy birthday dear Clam...
 

3 teenage birthdays and not a mixologist in sight? I think this is going to be my lucky round.
 

And he didn't even get an awful hairstyle!
 

What's that?

Tetra: This is our new family command center.

Family command center?

Tetra: Uh-huh. I read about it online.

And what exactly does it do?

Tetra: I realized that if we're going to survive life with three teenagers, I need to start making some rules-and quick. So from now on, there's a curfew around here...

And have you told the kids this?

Tetra: Well, not yet...but I'm sure they'll understand, right? I mean, it's for their own good...

You don't know very much about teenagers, do you Tetra?
 

Shark: Huh? What the heck is this? Be home by 11...or else!

That would be your new curfew...

Shark: A what? I go on one date...
 

I take it you're less upset about the family command center?

Betta: Less upset than Shark, that's for sure...I mean, it does seem a little babyish. But I don't think it's worth throwing a fit over.
 

Mikel: So I was thinking after school I could give you your first lesson...

Betta: Lesson?

Mikel: You know...your first baking lesson? I think you're finally big enough to use the oven safely...

Betta: Oh...well, um...you know what? Maybe tomorrow would be better. I kind of want to show off my new violin, you know?

Mikel: Oh...ok. Maybe tomorrow...
 

How'd you get stuck on cleaning duty?

Clam: Well, Shark's still sulking about this whole curfew thing, and Betta...
 

I see. She's got a real performance space now and everything.

Tetra: Mikel swears it draws in customers...

You don't sound so sure.

Tetra: I mean, it was cute when she was little, but now...I'd much rather her help ring people out or clean up.
 

Tetra: Um...shouldn't you guys have finished your homework last night?

Clam: Didn't have time....

Betta: Yeah, and besides, it's not like it's hard. We'll have it done by the time it's due...
 

Huh? What's this?

Tetra: The school...

Betta got in the fight?

Tetra: Apparently...I'm as surprised as you are.


Looks like Mikel's got a slightly less urgent situation to deal with.

Tetra: Oh, that is so not fair...how come I get the call about the fighting and you get the one about eating in the bathroom?


Tetra: So, we need to talk about this...

Mikel: Talk about what?

Tetra: Our kids. Didn't you get a phone call from the school?

Mikel: (laughs) Yeah...

Tetra: Well, mine wasn't as funny...Mikel, what are we going to do? We've got one who's sneaking away on dates, one who's fighting at school, and one who's eating in the bathroom...


So.,..tell me about this fight.

Betta: I don't want to talk about it...

Well, ok, but...

Betta: (sigh) There's this girl at school...I guess she went to the bakery when my dad was having a bad day...

A bad day...oh, I get it. With his "friends"?

Betta: Uh-huh...and when Clam and I got there today she started following us around, calling us all sorts of names, calling him all sorts of names, saying that nobody should eat there because it would make them crazy like him...and I just snapped.

Did you tell your mom or your dad?

Betta: What's the point? By the time I got home I was already in trouble. It's like they're looking for reasons to yell at us now.
 

Tetra: So, kids...your father and I were talking, and we think it would be a good idea if we went and volunteered somewhere...

You guys can do that?

Tetra: Evidently we can. I've been calling around, and it turns out there's a soup kitchen that is always looking for help...

A soup kitchen? Man, I need to pay more attention around here. Between this and all the crime I never noticed...

Shark: Soup kitchen? Ew, Mom...can't we do on thing that doesn't have to do with food?
 

 Shark: So it turns out I can't go out today; Mom's making us all go volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Viola: Oh, that's so nice!

Shark: You...don't think it's lame?

Viola: Of course not! It's great that you guys are helping people

Shark: Oh...you know, it was kind of my idea, really...


 All right, let's try to help...
 

 Oops...
 

Betta: Well, that went well...

Tetra: Betta...

Betta: Maybe next time we can volunteer at the old folks home and Clam can accidentally mix up their medication...


 Mikel So, today didn't go exactly as planned, huh?

Betta That's an understatement...

Mikel: Don't be too hard on your mom. Her heart was in the right place.

Betta: I guess...hey, Dad? Do you think I could maybe come down to the bakery with you tomorrow?

Mikel: But we're not open Sundays...there'll be no one for you to play for.

Betta: I know, but you still owe me a baking lesson, remember?

Mikel: (laughs) Maybe after today I should take both of you. I think Clam has some things to learn about working in a kitchen...


 Betta: Oh, hey Bahama...Sure I can come out...


Whoa, this place is...really crowded.

Bahama: Yeah, I think they forgot to clean up after GeekCon a few days ago.

Betta: Why are we here anyway? I thought you were happy with Sage.

Bahama: Oh, we're not here for me. We're here for you...

Betta: For me?

Bahama: Yes, silly! Look, I think I see a cute guy about our age over there...


 Jimmy: Hey, I know you! You're the girl who got in that fight by the cafeteria the other day...

Betta: Yeah...

Jimmy: Man, that was awesome...

Betta: It was?

Jimmy: Sure! That girl was being a total loser all day. If anybody was saying that kind of stuff about my family, I would have punched them too.

Betta: Well I'm glad somebody gets that...my mom wasn't so understanding.



Speaking of family...

Jimmy: Do you have to go?

Betta: Well...no, I can stay a bit longer...

Betta...

Betta: What? She knows where I am. Besides, it'll only be another hour or so...
  

 Tetra: Where have you been, young lady?

Betta: You know where I was, Mom! I was at the Romance Festival with Bahama...

Tetra: Do you know what time it is?

Betta: What's the big deal? I'm only like an hour late...

Tetra: The big deal is you were supposed to be home by 11! 

Betta: So what, are you going to write something on the stupid board now? 

Tetra: That's it! You're...what's the word...

Grounded?

Tetra: Yes! You're grounded!

Betta: Grounded? What does,that even mean...

Tetra: It means...um...a little help?

(Whispers) Most parents take something away...
 

 Tetra: It means you just lost your phone, young lady!

Betta: What? You can't do that!

Tetra: Oh, yes I can! 

Betta: That's so unfair!

Well as much as I'd like to stick around and watch this play out, I've got to be moving on. I'll see you guys next round!

 

A Message From the Mysterious Voice: And Round 16 begins! I was initially going to keep Shark as the sulky teen for the entire week, but then the game threw that chance card about Betta getting in a fight. (I love the phone calls from school, by the way. Clam's was perfect...) I had initially wanted to include more about Betta being at the Romance Festival, but apparently my game decided to layer the Romance Festival and GeekCon on top of one another, meaning that none of the festival objects were useable. So, some close up shots of her talking to a boy had to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment