Friday, December 14, 2018

Howard 2: Round 18



Last round, Sadness and Cyrus moved into their new home after their wedding. Cyrus took up a career as a gardener while Sadness chose to freelance as a painter. She also quickly became pregnant and by the end of the week their daughter Kiwi had entered toddlerhood.


Hey, Sadness...

Sadness: Huh? Oh, hi mysterious voice.

Up to anything interesting?

Sadness: Well, I was just ordering some Winterfest gifts when I came across this website...get this. Someone made a fan site about my dad's old blog...

Really?

Sadness: Yeah, crazy, right?


Speaking of Winterfest, let's see what else we've got going on this week...



Besides that, I mean...


Looks like Kiwi won't be an only child for much longer.


Cyrus: I think it's kind of cool.

Sadness: I guess...but it's kind of weird that all these people know everything about how me and my sister grew up.

Cyrus: But they liked it, right? I mean it's not like they were saying anything bad.

Sadness: No, I guess that's true...

Cyrus: Well, speaking of sisters...one of us should go tell Kiwi the news.


Cyrus: Kiwi...I have something to tell you...Mommy's going to have a new baby!

Kiwi: Ok...

Cyrus: Do you know what that means? You're going to be a big sister...


Somehow she doesn't seem that excited...


How's the painting going?

Sadness: Great, actually. Apparently that fan site got word that my stuff was on the market. I guess owning a "Sadness Howard" original is a big deal for some people.


Well that's good, because somehow I don't think a "leaf cutter" is a very lucrative job.


Plus, you can still earn money on holidays!


And I guess we get an early gift!


No hospital?

Sadness: No time...


It's a boy! Welcome, Kumquat!


Let's hope Kiwi asked Father Winter for a baby brother...


And I guess that means Dad's in charge of the rest of Winterfest...


Kiwi: Daddy...when's Winterfest gonna come?

Cyrus: Soon, honey. But first Mommy and I have to finish decorating the tree...


Sadness: So...should we go with the red and gold or the blue?

Cyrus: I don't know...red and gold seems more traditional...

Sadness: I never realized this was so hard...


Cyrus: And Larry the long-legged llama pulled Father Winter's buggy all over the world, and saved Winterfest for boys and girls everywhere. The End.

Kiwi: Daddy, is Father Winter gonna come tomorrow?

Cyrus: Yup, but only if you're a good girl and go to sleep tonight...

...The long-legged llama?

Cyrus: Yeah, you know, like the song?

Kiwi: I can sing it!

That's ok, you'd better get to bed....


Kiwi: Baby...it's Winterfest!

I don't think Kumquat's old enough to understand, Kiwi...


Oh, look who's here...


Kiwi: Do you really have flying llamas?

Father Winter: Yes, of course! I couldn't ride around the whole world on their backs, could I?

Kiwi: (laughs)



Cool, a new dollhouse...



Ok, now onto Winterfest Day...and Kiwi is actually excited about the grand meal? Odd for a toddler...


But I guess she's still the most excited about the presents...

Sadness: Wanna go set up your new dollhouse?

Kiwi: Yeah!


Sadness: Do you think you're going to get any new dolls later?

I thought you guys already did present time?

Sadness: Well, for Winterfest we did...


 I see. We have another Winterfest birthday!


Oh, looks like it's actually a double birthday...


Happy birthday, dear Kumquat...


Another charmer...


Well, that's an interesting haircut for a toddler...


Herbert: Hey, who are all these other presents for?

Kiwi: Me!

Herbert: They're all for you? Are you sure?

Kiwi: Yes! It's my birthday too!


Ok, now onto the other main event...Happy birthday, dear Kiwi...


Another whiz kid...


Well that's...quite an ensemble. Maybe you should go to the dresser?


Sadness: So have you seen that "Howard Fans" website?

Hope: Oh, yeah...who would have thought, right? We weren't even doing anything special...

Sadness: Yeah. I guess a lot of people liked it though. Maybe we should like, do something for them

Hope: Like what?

Sadness: I don't know...like go somewhere and let people come and say hi? I mean, some of them said some really nice things.

Hope: I guess...it seems a little weird, though.

Kiwi: Ok, Mom! I'm ready!


Kiwi: Cool! A science table!

Appropriate considering your aspiration...


Crayola: So are you going to sign up for scouts?


Kiwi: Nope! I'm gonna sign up for drama club!


Crayola: Drama club? Really? You know they don't do any science stuff there, right?

Kiwi: I know. But I can do that stuff at home anyway. And besides, didn't you hear my mom talking to Aunt Hope? If they're famous, that means I have to be too, right? And what better way to be famous than being in plays and stuff.

Crayola: I guess...


Is it even a holiday if you don't have to take a picture with your grandparents?


Well that went pretty well.

Sadness: Yeah...I just don't know what we're gonna do with all of these leftovers.

Cyrus: Yeah, I think we have a weeks' supply of cake...

Kumquat: Cake?

Cyrus: No...buddy....I didn't say cake. There's no cake...


Let me guess...you're practicing lines?

Kiwi: Nope! I'm practicing posing for pictures!


Kiwi: Mom and Aunt Hope are gonna have a meet and greet...and Mom said I could come!

Do you know what a meet and greet is?

Kiwi: No, but it sounds super fancy. And I know Aunt Hope is gonna play the guitar...


Wait, Hope can play the guitar? Did I miss something?


Fan: It's really you...I used to check your dad's blog like, every day for updates. You know, when my little brother was born the first thing I said was that I wanted a little sister like Hope...


Kiwi: Mom...I'm bored....

Sadness: Well, there's a microphone over there. Why don't you go show everyone what a good singer you are?


Izzy: Hey, look...Sadness's daughter can sing! How cute...


Sadness: Riley! You made it!

Riley: Yeah, I made it...what is all this about, anyway?

Sadness: Huh?

Riley: You hated being on your dad's blog, remember?

Sadness: Well, yeah, back when we were teenagers...but it's different now...

Riley: How so?


Well, for one thing, now people are inviting her to talent showcases...

Sadness: Oh, you know, I'm not much of a performer...hey, wait a minute...Kiwi, honey? Want to go on an adventure tonight?


Well, this certainly seems to be heading in an interesting direction...but unfortunately I've got to be moving along. Good luck, guys, and I'll see you next round.


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Just two more lots to go! I had actually forgotten about Herbert's "parenting blog" subplot until now (Sadness's actual fame has come from painting), but I loved getting to revisit it with Get Famous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment