Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Bernard 1: Round 14





Last round found Croix and Khloe adjusting to parenthood following the birth of their son, Cyprus. Not wanting to be outdone, Bermuda added another daughter, Haiti, to the mix, who joined her older sister Bahama. Meanwhile, Croix and Ezekiel continued to advance in their chosen careers. Sadly, grandparents Trinidad and Darlene also passed away from old age.


Hi there, Bermuda!

Bermuda: Oh, hello there.

What's been going on around here?

Bermuda: Oh, you know. Two toddlers and a child...the usual. 

Where's everybody else?

Bermuda: The kids are all downstairs...I think. I haven't heard anything smash or anybody yell in awhile.

I should go check on them...


Bahama: Cyprus, you better not be following me to my room...huh, I could have sworn someone was following me...


Bermuda: Are you almost done?

Haiti: No!

Bermuda: (sigh)

What?

Bermuda: "No" is her new favorite word. She says it no matter what you ask.

That must be fun.

Bermuda: Oh, yeah, it's been a ball...

Haiti: No!


Croix: Sleep tight, Haiti...

Haiti: No...

Croix: You don't want to go to sleep?

Haiti: No...monster!

Croix: Now that's just silly...there's no such thing as monsters...


Not for toddlers, anyway...you know, it's nice of these monsters to wait until the kids are at least old enough to yell in complete sentences.

Bahama: Mom! The monster's back!


Bahama: But Mom, are you sure this will work?

Bermuda: Of course it will work. It's monster spray.

Bahama: Because it looks like just sparkly water...and how come it's in the same bottle as the stuff you clean the counters with?


Cyprus: Again! Again!

Khloe: Cyprus, I've read the same book three times! Don't you want to hear something else?

Cyprus: No! Again!

Is it at least a good story?

Khloe: It's the worst one on the shelf...I could write better children's books than this.


Fishing?

Bermuda: Yeah. I don't get to do as much of it as I'd like, you know?

Huh...

Bermuda: What?

It just hit me how much you are like your grandmother.

Bermuda: My grandmother? What are you talking about?

Well, she loved to fish too. And paint. Don't you remember?

Bermuda: I remember the painting. The fishing, not so much.

Well, she finished her aspiration when your dad was still a teenager. That's why they went camping.

Bermuda: Really? I always wondered why Dad took us there.



Ezekiel: Was that you I heard yelling about a monster last night?

Bahama: Yes...Mommy sprayed my bed with the monster spray, but I don't think it worked.

Ezekiel: Well, you want to know what monsters really, really hate?

Bahama: Yeah...

Ezekiel: Music! They hate music. So next time you see that monster, just get up and play your violin. You'll see, in no time that monster will be gone.

Bahama: Really?

Ezekiel: Yup.


Bahama: Ok, you monster...you're not going to scare me this time! I know what you really hate now!


Is it working?

Bahama: Is what working?

Keeping the monster away with music.

Bahama: Oh...I got so into playing I forgot all about the monster! Which means it worked!


Bahama: Daddy, you were right! I played my violin and the monster went away!

Ezekiel: See? I told you.


Pancakes on the couch again?

Khloe: Oh, he's fine. He doesn't even spill any syrup.

Cyprus: Haiti spilled...

Croix: Well, Haiti isn't as big as you are, buddy.


And there's our other little angel now...are you feeling grumpy?

Haiti: No!

Why did I bother to ask? 


Nice job, Ezekiel.

Ezekiel: Thanks.


You're not keeping this one to sell?

Bermuda: No, this one felt special.

How so?

Bermuda: I've been thinking about what you said the other day...about how much I remind you of Grandma. And I started thinking about right after she died...when Dad thought it would be a good idea to take us all into the woods. 

Oh, right.

Bermuda: I mean, yeah, it was cold and buggy and uncomfortable but...well, I just started painting the woods.

Do you think you want to go back?

Bermuda: Yeah, maybe. But not right now. Taking care of two toddlers is hard enough at home.


Well, it will only be one toddler soon enough.


Bermuda: What do you think, Haiti? Should we go to the woods?

Haiti: No!

Bermuda: (sigh) What do you think we'd see if we went to the woods?

Haiti: Big bear! Rawr!

Bermuda: Ok, ok...stop splashing, honey. You're getting water everywhere!

Haiti: No!


Argh, almost missed it! Happy birthday, dear Cyprus...


Hey, we haven't had the Mental one in awhile!


And he's still a cute little guy!


Isn't it boring playing chess by yourself?

Cyprus: No. I'm just practicing.





And it looks like we've got another celebration tonight!


Oh, good. Because this is really the toddler that needs to be on a sugar high.

Bahama: You know we're going to have more cake later, right? For Daddy's birthday?

Haiti: No!

Bahama: Why do I even bother?


Happy birthday, dear Ezekiel...





Happy birthday, dear Croix...


Wait...isn't it Bermuda's birthday too?

Bermuda: No...I don't think so. Not for a few more days.

But...you two are twins.

Croix: Well, so? Just because we're twins doesn't mean we have to do everything at the same time.

When it comes to birthdays, that's exactly what it means...


Wait, so you're going on vacation now?

Bermuda: Yeah, why not?

You really want to try sharing a tent with a toddler?

Bermuda: Oh, no...we're renting a cabin this time.



Seems like a smart move.

Bermuda: Yeah. I even called ahead and made sure there would be a toddler bed and potty chair for Haiti. We don't have to do everything like we did when I was a kid.


Although Haiti still doesn't look thrilled.

Cyprus: It's ok. She never looks happy.

Croix: It smells different than last time...

Khloe: Croix, it's the woods. How could it smell different?


Cyprus: Read it again, Mom!

Haiti: No! No more book! Want go inside!

Bahama: But if you go inside, you'll miss the campfire...


Bermuda: See, it's pretty, isn't it? Just be careful and stay on the bench, ok?

Haiti: No!

Bermuda: (sigh)


Ranger: Lovely to see you folks again. You were just a little chap when I last saw you...

Croix: Wait...you remember me?

Ranger: Of course. We remember all the families that come through here. Plus, it's on the guest records. Anyway, if there's anything you guys need, don't hesitate to stop by the ranger station.

Bahama: Do you have a violin? I forgot to bring mine.

Ranger: Afraid not, little lady. But we've got guitars if you guys are looking for some campfire tunes.

Bahama: No, it's to keep monsters away...

Ranger: Oh, there are no monsters out here! The bears keep them at bay.

Bahama: Bears?

Cyprus: There are bears here?

Croix: Well, great seeing you again...thanks for the help...


Ezekiel: Ok, I'll admit it. This place isn't half bad.

Bermuda: See? I told you. But you know, you might enjoy yourself more if you change out of your work suit.


Bahama: Mom! Look! Butterflies! Can I catch them so I can bring one home?

See? It's not just bears that are out here.


Oh, I guess Bahama gets to celebrate her birthday on vacation!


Happy birthday, dear Bahama...


Given where she aged up, I shouldn't be surprised.


Not bad, but I think a new hairstyle might be in order.


Bahama: So? What do you think? It was the best I could do out here.

Bermuda: Very nice! Say, what do you think about going on a little adventure with me today?

Bahama: Adventure?

Bermuda: Yeah, I wanted to go check out the waterfalls over in the deeper part of the woods. Want to come?

Bahama: Sure! Let me just go get dressed...are you sure Dad will be ok here with Haiti?

Bermuda: I'm sure he'll be fine.


Anything biting?

Bermuda: Not much that's different.

Bahama: Not much at all for me.

Bermuda: You stay here-I'm going to go poke around and see if I can find somewhere else to try.


Bermuda: Huh...hey, Bahama! Come here!

Bahama: Did you find another fishing spot?

Bermuda: Not exactly...I think there's something in this weird cave over here.


Where are we?

Bermuda: Well how should I...Oh, hello...

Hermit: Hello there...um...forgive me, I haven't had visitors in quite awhile.

Bermuda: Wait...you live out here?

Hermit: Yes. I'm afraid you've stumbled upon my humble home.


Bahama: So, do you like, never leave the woods? How do you get food?

Hermit: Well, I grow some of it in my garden. And there's a lovely waterfall just over those rocks-I think you'll find the assortment of fish just wonderful.

Bahama: Great, that's actually why we're out here. Mom, he said there's more fish over this way!


Bermuda: Wow, he wasn't kidding!


Bahama: Mom, is this even a real fish?

Bermuda: Huh...well, it is moving around, so I guess it is.


So, have you two been fishing in this guy's yard all day?

Bermuda: Oh, no...it's almost dark! Bahama, come on! We've got to get back to the cabin! It's almost time for the party!

Party?


Looks like Bahama's not the only one who gets to celebrate her birthday in the woods!


Ezekiel: You ready to be a big girl?

Haiti: No!

Ezekiel: (sigh) Come on, let's do this...


Happy birthday, dear Haiti...


Huh...a child vegetarian. I guess that's technically still fussy in a different way.


And she looks just like her aunt Jamaica with those braids!


Croix: Alright, everyone. Settle in. I've got a story for you about an old crusty pirate...

Bermuda: Oh, not this again...

Khloe: You've heard this before?

Bermuda: Unfortunately, yes. He made it up when we were kids...

Croix: Hey, I've juiced it up since then.




Maybe we should leave the campfire entertainment to Bahama?


And anyway, it looks like it's about time to head home.



So, did you guys have fun in the woods?

Haiti: Yes!

Cyprus: Hey, that's the first time you've said that!

Well, I guess there is a first time for everything! But now it's time for me to head to the next house. I'll see you guys next round.




 A Message From the Mysterious Voice: So, it really isn't my intention for these guys to be the "Granite Falls family". But it did hit me once I loaded the lot just how similar Bermuda is to Erin; Erin also had the fishing aspiration, but took up painting to make ends meet. Once I realized that it just felt right to have them take another trip to the woods. Renting a cabin is so much easier, by the way. (And I have no idea why Croix's birthday happened before Bermuda's.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment