Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Palmer 2: Round 14



Last round, Azalea and Silas had just welcomed a set of twin girls, Lily and Rose, to their family. As they settled into being a family of seven, both of them noticed something was off about little Lily-but they were unable to pinpoint exactly what that was even as the girls grew into toddlerhood. Meanwhile, their eldest child Daisy deepened her relationship with her childhood friend Lucas, and their middle child Thistle aged from a toddler to a child. 


Hey, Rose. Where are you off to?

Rose: Grandma!

Where is Grandma?

Rose: With Grandpa...

Huh?


Oh, I get it...how's it going, Addison?

Addison: (sigh) All right, I guess...considering.

Still having a rough time with Ryan's death?

Addison: Yes, I'm afraid so. I keep trying to move on, but I just can't. We were together for so long...I never thought about what it would be like to live without him.


Daisy: Grandma, are you ok?

Addison: Of course, dear. Why wouldn't I be...

Daisy: I'm not a kid anymore, Grandma. You can tell me.

Addison: No, I guess you're not. (sigh) I've just been missing your grandfather, that's all.

Daisy: We all miss him, Grandma.

Addison: He would have been so proud of all you kids...you know, we wanted to have more after your mom but, well, we just couldn't afford it. And before we knew it, it was too late. He always used to joke about your mom "rebelling" and giving us a ton of grandchildren. (sigh) I just wish he'd been able to meet the twins.

Daisy: We can all tell them about him...

Addison: I know, but it's not the same. We don't even have any decent pictures of him to show them...we never did figure out how to work that camera right.

Daisy: I've been playing around with it...do you want me to take one of you?

Addison: Let's take one together. After all, you're going to be out on your own soon. You'll need something to remember your old Grandma by.


Ahh, there's our mystery baby...what are you eating?

Lily: Macaroni!

Rose: Cheese!

You're eating macaroni and cheese for breakfast?

Azalea: Look, at this point, I just want them to eat something...if leftover mac and cheese is what they grab, then so be it.


Whoa...you ok?

Daisy: Yeah. It's not as bad as it looks.

What are you doing?

Daisy: Writing:

You too, huh? That seems to be a popular career choice these days.

Daisy: Well, I don't know if its' going to be my career. But it'll at least be nice to have a little bit of extra income on the side. I was thinking about what Grandma said, about how she and Grandpa wanted more kids but couldn't afford it. I don't want that to happen to me and Lucas.

Well, to be fair, that happened to your grandparents because they tried to make their living entirely off of that garden...speaking of...


Oh, good. The cowplant is still here. I was worried it...you know...died or something.

Thistle: Dad, can I take it to school for show and tell? 

Silas: I think that might be a little hard, Thistle.


Nice job, Azalea.

Azalea: Thanks. I'm pretty impressed myself. Things have been so crazy around here I've barely done anything for work at all.




Well, luckily things are about to get a little easier.




Silas: Is my special girl ready for her birthday tonight?

Special girls, Silas.

Silas: I know. But I just don't want her to feel any different than the others.

Is she different from the others?

Silas: I don't know, honestly. Azalea swears she is. And she was certainly...off as a baby. But truthfully, I don't see it as much now. Other than superficial stuff like her hair color, that is.

You don't know where that came from either, huh?

Silas: No. I mean, I never traced my family line back that far so I guess it could have come from me...


Addison: Dear, I don't understand...both the girls seem fine.

Azalea: But why can't I remember giving birth to Lily? How did I forget one twin but not the other?

Addison: I'm not sure...maybe they gave you some medication?

Azalea: They don't give medication at the hospital, Mom! Don't you remember?

Addison: Well, I've only gone once with you. And that was a long time ago-maybe things have advanced since then.

Azalea: Well apparently they've advanced to the point that the hospital is lying to parents about where their children came from! Besides, Silas said the mysterious voice told him they don't use any medication.

Addison: Is that true?

Er...well, I did say that, but...

Azalea: See? So if I wasn't medicated, then I should be able to remember giving birth to and naming both of my daughters. Not just one. And that also doesn't explain why Lily's hair is jet black, or why she looks nothing like the other kids, or...

Addison: Azalea, does any of that really matter? You love Lily...

Azalea: Of course I love Lily! Why does everybody keep questioning that! Ugh! I've got to get some practice in for work. If you need me I'll be at the punching bag. 


Addison: I wish you were still here...you always knew what to do...oh...oh my...

What?


Oh, no...





And I couldn't have picked a better spot for her to go if I tried...


Goodbye, Addison...


Rose: Mama...

Azalea: I know, honey. It'll be ok. You'll see.


Huh? Oh, right...the birthdays.


Lucas: Gee, I'm sorry, Daisy.

Daisy: What? What are you sorry for?

Lucas: Well, if you hadn't had to come out and greet me...I tried to come earlier, I swear. I just got...tied up in some stuff at home.

Daisy: Believe me, Lucas, coming out to greet you is the last reason we missed my birthday. My grandmother just passed away...

Lucas: Oh, no...I'm so sorry, Daisy. Do you want me to come back another time, or...

Daisy: No, no, stay. I'm pretty sure my parents consider you family anyway. You can at least be here for the twins' birthdays.


Alright, let's get the other two done before we miss any more. Happy birthday, dear Lily...


Yes! We've already got all the stuff for that one from Thistle!


And she's still really pretty!


Happy birthday, dear Rose...


All three with the same aspiration!


And I think we'll need a new hairstyle, but otherwise not bad.


Oh, hi Erica...glad to see you two are still bonding over the dollhouse.

Thistle: Shh! Remember, nobody at school can know.

Erica: I know, I know. If anybody asks we tell them your sisters made us.

Thistle: Right.


Azalea: Do you girls want to stay home today? I can call the school and tell them about Grandma...

Lily: No, I'm ok. Come on, Rose, we'll be late!


Rose: Why isn't Lily sad, Mom? Didn't she love Grandma?

Azalea: Oh, honey, of course she did...everybody grieves in their own way. Do you want to stay home?

Rose: No, not if Lily's not staying home too.

Azalea: Ok, honey. I'll send a note in so your teacher knows what's going on.


What are you looking at?

Azalea: Thistle's birth certificate...you know, I just realized I never hung up the girls'.

Do you have them for the girls?

Azalea: I must, right? I'm sure Silas just filed them away somewhere. Maybe I can call the hospital and get more copies. I'd like to have them up.


Azalea: No, you're not listening to me. I gave birth to twins-that's two babies-at your hospital. I should have two birth certificates on file....Yes, Rose is my daughter. There should also be one for a Lily...no, Thistle is my son. He's older...well, how can that be? You're saying I'm imagining this child? No, I would not like to speak to the psychology department...

Um...let's just let Azalea finish up here...we haven't checked in with Daisy in awhile...


Uh-huh. Just as I thought...hey, wait, shouldn't Lucas have had a birthday too?

Lucas: Oh, I had already graduated before Daisy.

Oh. Well, carry on then.


Silas: What's wrong?

Azalea: I've been on the phone all day with the hospital.

Silas: The hospital? Why?

Azalea: I was trying to have them send us copies of the twins' birth certificates since apparently someone forgot to take them when we left. And do you know what they told me? They don't even have Lily's on file! As far as they're concerned, it's like she doesn't exist!


Silas: Azalea, you're reading way too much into this!

Azalea: Am I? What kind of hospital doesn't keep records of babies delivered?

Silas: Why does it matter if we have the stupid certificates on the wall? Babies don't just materialize out of thin air. I know Lily's our daughter. You know Lily's our daughter. That's all that matters.

Azalea: I just can't stop thinking that there's something bigger going on here. You know, I was talking to Rain, across the street? Did you know her daughter went into labor and that hospital just left her hanging? She waited there for hours-no doctor even showed up! She had to go all the way home and have the baby there.

Silas: Now that's weird.

Azalea: It's more than weird, Silas! Something is going on at that hospital!


Daisy: Something's up with you...

Lucas: It's nothing, really.

Daisy: Lucas, come on. You can tell me anything. What's going on? You haven't been yourself lately.

Lucas: Well...do you remember Bjorn? From the garden club?

Daisy: Yeah. Why?

Lucas: Well, remember how I used to call him my dad?

Daisy: Yeah...wait, is he your dad?

Lucas: No, no. My dad's never really been around. But he and my mom...well, they weren't exactly a thing when I was little but...they were almost a thing.

Daisy: Really?

Lucas: Yeah. It didn't last very long. I barely remember it. It was right after I started school...Bjorn had just started letting kids into the garden club. Mom signed me up, and before I knew it Bjorn was over at our house every night...until his wife got pregnant.

Daisy: Wait...he has a wife?

Lucas: Uh-huh. A daughter, too. Her name's Elsa. She's a few years behind us...

Daisy: I think I remember her...so, he stopped coming over once she was born, right?

Lucas: You'd think, but no. Until my mom found out he was married...

Daisy: How long ago was that?

Lucas: Right before I started high school. I think my mom suspected for awhile, but...well, she'd been alone a long time. And trying to raise the two of us on her own, she was just glad to have anyone to go to for advice. Even if that advice would have been out of date 100 years ago.

Daisy: How'd she find out?

Lucas: We were at the park...he was there with Elsa and she heard her call him Daddy. He tried to play it off like all kids in the garden club called him that...

Daisy: Is that why you called him your dad when we first met?

Lucas: Uh-huh. It's a really messed up situation. I can't wait until we're out on our own.

Daisy: You know, if you wanted to get out of there sooner you could always come and live here.

Lucas: Really?

Daisy: Sure. My parents wouldn't mind. My dad actually really likes you.

Lucas: Ha...that's kind of ironic because my "dad" hates you. He thinks you're a terrible influence ever since the whole VoidCritter situation.

Daisy: Well, then, it's not very likely he'd come around here, then, is it?

Lucas: Yeah, I guess. Ok, let's do it!







Lucas: We're not going to live here forever, though, right?

Daisy: Oh, no. Just until we can get on our feet.

Lucas: Good. Not that I don't love your little siblings, but...

Daisy: No, totally. I get it. We'll be out of here by the end of the week.

Lucas: Seriously, thank you for this. It feels so good to finally be out of that house!


Silas: So...how's the homework going?

Rose: Fine.

Silas: And Lily? How about you?

Lily: Fine, Dad.

Silas: Are you sure? Because I'm right here if you need help...you know that, right?

Lily: Yeah, Dad. I know.


Wow! You clean up nice!

Lucas: Thanks. I figured a new look was in order.


The ancient ruins?

Thistle: Can I go, Dad?

Silas: I guess...how dangerous can ruins be?


Erica: This place is so cool!

Thistle: Yeah! These buildings must be, like, 1,000 years old!

I'm surprised you guys wanted to come here...there isn't much for you to do.

Erica: It's ok. I just wanted to get out of my house. My mom keeps measuring me to make sure I'm still growing. And she checks my homework like, a million times.

Thistle: I can beat that. My sister's boyfriend is living with us...

Erica: Ew! For how long?

Thistle: I don't know, but now he's all she talks about.

Erica: I'm never having a boyfriend!

Thistle: I'm never having a girlfriend either. Not ever!


Never would have taken you for a handyman, Lucas.

Lucas: Me either. But I figured I have to learn this stuff eventually.

No one taught you this stuff while you were in high school?

Lucas: My mom was pretty...preoccupied. And my brother, well...he's not exactly what you'd call the domestic type.


You ok, Azalea?

Azalea: (sigh) I guess. I just keep thinking about my mom...why did I have to have that argument right before she died?

It's not like you could have known.

Azalea: I suppose so.

Any luck on the hunt for the birth certificate?

Azalea: No. I've called every agency I can think of. No one has any record of Lily being born.

Well, she's here...so clearly she was.

Azalea: I know, right? Silas was right about that much. Children don't just materialize out of thin air...(sigh) I should get some sleep. I have a big game tomorrow.


Aww, it's nice that you two are still best friends.

Lily: Of course she's my best friend! She's my twin!

Rose: We sure don't look the same, though.

Lily: Not all twins look the same. Some are even one boy and one girl.


Lucas: Daisy, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me...


Lucas: I can't think of anyone else I'd rather spend my life with. Will you marry me?





I think she said yes!


Lucas: So, when do you want to do it?

Daisy: Let's wait a few days-I'd rather have the wedding on a day my siblings are out of school.

Lucas: Ok, we'll do it Saturday.

Daisy: I can't wait!

Lucas: Me either. I'm going to have to find something to occupy my mind until then...


You're taking up the guitar?

Lucas: Yeah. I've always wanted to learn music, but...

Bjorn?

Lucas: He thought that if I started to play the guitar that I'd learn to play music that would corrupt me. So he never let me learn at all. Not even violin or piano. I just wish I had started sooner-I sound horrible!

It's not...that bad.


Lucas: I love what you've done with the place...last time I was in your room it was still in the basement.

Daisy: (sigh) I know it's not the most romantic for us to be in separate bedrooms...I just can't sleep in my grandma's old room. It's too weird. And there's no room for a double bed in here.

Lucas: Hey, it's only for a little while. We'll be out on our own soon enough. Besides, I kind of like it. It feels...retro.

Daisy: More like ancient. How's the music coming?

Lucas: Pretty good. In fact, I'm thinking of going professional.


Daisy: Lucas, you've been playing the guitar for, like, an afternoon...

Lucas: I know. But I figured this way I can get paid while I learn.


Oh, good, I was worried we wouldn't see our friend the monster this week. I feel like I should name this thing...


Lily: Somebody! Come quick! There's a monster in my room!

Daisy: I'll be right there, Lily...


Daisy: There you go, sweetie. Now you really should go back to bed.

Lily: Um...I don't think the monster's all gone yet. Maybe you should spray again while I finish my picture.

Daisy: (sigh)



Daisy: Lucas, what happened to your face?

Lucas: Oh, I'm sure it's nothing. Just a rash.

Daisy: Maybe you should stay home...

Lucas: Daisy, it's my first day. You can't call in sick on day one. Besides, I'm fine, really.

Daisy: If you say so...but good luck performing looking like that.


You changed your hair?

Rose: Yeah! You like it?

Well, it seems almost the same as the way Lily wears her hair.

Rose: So?

Why do you want to wear your hair the same as Lily?

Rose: All Mom and Dad talk about is Lily this, Lily that...

You don't know...why your parents talk about Lily so much, do you?

Rose: No! But it's super annoying. It's not like she's sick or anything!


Lily: Dad...why are Daisy and Lucas moving out?

Silas: Because they're getting married, honey. They're all grown up now, so they're going to get a house of their own.

Lily: But I don't want Daisy to leave...

Silas: I don't either, but she has to. But it's not like she'll be very far away. Plus, the wedding is going to be so much fun! You'll see.


Pizza?

Lucas: Azalea's at work until late. We figured we'd give the kids a treat on the night before the wedding.


Silas: If your mom asks, I made a salad and it was the best salad you ever had.

Thistle: Ok, Dad...




Today's the big day, huh?

Lucas: Yup!

Where are you having the wedding?

Lucas: The park in the city.

Oh...

Lucas: What?

I would have thought you'd want to have it at the mansion closer to your old house.

Lucas: Um...no...we kind of wanted to be a bit further out.

Trying to avoid an unwelcome guest?

Lucas: You don't think he'll show up, do you?

Seeing as how you didn't invite him, I doubt it.


Lucas: Thanks for coming, Wolfgang.

Wolfgang: Are you kidding? Mom and I wouldn't miss it.

Lucas: So, it's just you and Mom?

Wolfgang: Will you relax? Mom hasn't even talked to him since you moved out. Come on...let's go get you hitched!














Thistle: Do you really have to move out?

Daisy: I'm afraid so, buddy.

Thistle: I'm really going to miss you!

Daisy: I'm going to miss you too. But I won't be too far away. And besides, this means you're the oldest now! You can boss around Rose and Lily!

Thistle: I already do that!

Speaking of, where are they?


Oh, here you are. You're upstairs reading at a wedding?

Rose: Yeah...there's nobody here for me to play with.

There's your brother and sister.

Rose: Thistle's talking to the grown-ups. And Miss Perfect is playing the piano in the garden.

Hey now, I thought you and Lily loved each other.

Rose: We do! I just wish someone would notice me every once in awhile. I can play the violin, but you don't see me showing off...


Thistle: Hey, cool, you snuck toys here?

Rose: Uh-huh...I hid them in my dress!

Thistle: Awesome. I'm so bored!


Daisy: Here you two are! Everybody's been looking for you. What are you doing up here?

Thistle: Nothing...downstairs is boring, though.

Daisy: I know there's not much for you kids to do here. But this is the last time we're going to all be together before I move out.

Rose: Can we come visit you and Lucas in your new house?

Daisy: Once we get it set up, sure.

Thistle: Are you and Lucas going to have a baby?

Daisy: Well, not right now...but eventually we probably will. Then you'll be an uncle!

Thistle: Hah...that's so weird.


Azalea: I can't believe my baby girl's married...


Daisy: Well, we've just about got everything packed up! I guess it's time we got going.

Azalea: You've got the copies of the wedding pictures? I know I'm not the best photographer, but...

Daisy: Yes, Mom. And they're fine, don't worry.

Azalea: Call me when you get there, ok?

Daisy: Mom, we're moving across town! We'll be fine!



And on that note, it's time for me to be on my way as well. Good luck, Daisy! I'll see all of you next round!


A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Well, we finally lost Addison. Really, it was a miracle she stuck around as long as she did-her age bar was sparkling for a solid week and a half. And hopefully I was able to give a semi-plausible explanation for why Lucas originally called Bjorn his father, outside of I never thought to actually look at the pre-made families. He and Daisy are adorable together, though, and once I took those glasses off of him he became quite attractive in his own right. (I also already have the perfect naming theme picked out for their house.) I still haven't entirely decided if Thistle and Erica will end up together, but right now they're really cute best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment