Saturday, March 11, 2017

Flenderson 2: Round 14


Last round, Thunder and Lightning Flenderson were both playing the dating game after entering high school. Thunder had more luck, having secured a steady girlfriend in Alderaan Bernard. Lightning, meanwhile, found that her unusual heritage made it hard to start off on the right foot with almost every guy she met. Her mother Rain couldn't see why this increased visibility wasn't an improvement over her own teen years, while Dad Jase was just concerned that some of Lightning's potential choices were a bit older than she was.


Ok, now...if I remember correctly, Thunder and Lightning should be just about ready to...yup. Not going to miss it this time.



Jase: Lightning, honey, does this go in a cake?

How'd you get stuck on baking duty?

Jase: Eh, Rain's got like 5 pages left or so in the chapter she's working on. I offered so she wouldn't have to interrupt her flow. 


 Well, the cake looks edible enough. Alright, let's do this! Happy birthday, dear Lightning...
 

 Well that certainly is an interesting combo.
 

 One down, one to go.
 

 Happy birthday, dear Thunder...
 

 Huh...Insider. That's a new one.
 

You don't look thrilled...

Thunder:  I thought I'd feel...more different. 
 

 Oh, good. Hugo's back over. We never really got to meet last round...

Hugo: Right...so, does the weird voice follow you around all the time, or...

Lightning: No. Not all the time. I swear, she leaves us alone more than she's here...

Hugo: Hey, hey...slow down! Why are you so nervous? I promise, I don't bite.
 

 Lightning: I'm sorry...I don't mean to be so jittery. It's just...your the first guy I've met who hasn't made a big deal about...

Hugo: About what?

Lightning: About me being...this way.

Hugo: What, an alien? Why would I care about that? There's aliens everywhere. One served me at a restaurant the other day. A little slow with the dessert, but I don't think her being an alien is to blame for that...

Lightning: But that's just it! If we're "everywhere", why does everybody still make this huge deal out of pointing it out?

Hugo: Because it's...I don't know, different? I mean, not that different is bad...but I think people just get excited to see something new. 

Lightning: Excited...not exactly the word I would choose.

Hugo: Lightning, I don't care that you're an alien. Or your family. And I don't know why anyone else would! You're all so normal. It's almost boring.

Lightning: Ha...that's a new one.
 

So how are things with you, Thunder?

Thunder: Oh, all right I guess.

You guess?

Thunder: Well, watching Lightning and Hugo is a little tough. I graduated before Alderaan, so I'm just kind of hanging out for now.

That's why you've taken up gardening?

Thunder: Yeah. I keep telling my mom we should get rid of some of these-we hardly need the money now. But my dad likes it. He said something about how he has his best ideas out here.
 

Wait...she can still do that?

Thunder:  Of course...we didn't break up just because I graduated.
 

 Thunder: So, be honest. How's school been without me?

Alderman: Awful. I can't wait until I graduate.

Thunder: Hey, it's not too much longer. Let's go inside and get a table. You can fill me in on all the gossip.
 

Waitress: Is there anything else I can get for you two?

Alderaan: No, thank you.

Waitress: I suppose you two don't want to be out too late...it is a school night after all.

Thunder: School night...right. 
 

 Alderaan: This isn't weird, right?

Thunder: What isn't weird?

Alderaan: Us being out together like this.

Thunder: Why would it be weird? We're just eating dinner.

Alderaan: Well, because I'm still in high school and you're not...

Thunder: Only by a couple days. And before you know it, you'll be out too. Then we'll be out on our own.

Alderaan: Out on our own...

Thunder: What?

Alderaan: I just realized how close that is. And I have no idea what I want to do for a living! Plus, with spending so much time babysitting for Hosnian and Corellia I've barely had any time to work on my skills...how are we going to afford anything?

Thunder: Hey, relax. It'll be ok. You'll see. Besides, we're hardly the first people to move out on our own from our parents' houses.

Alderaan: I guess.

Thunder: And given that I don't see any of them starving in the street, they must have made it work. And we will too.
 

 I guess this is the first step in that, huh?

Thunder: Yeah. I figured I might be able to make Alderaan less nervous if I start getting ahead in a career now.
 

Lightning: The park sounds great, Hugo! I'll be there as soon as I can! 
 

 Lightning: It's great to see you!

Hugo: You too...I brought something for you.
 

 Hugo: Here...

Lightning: Oh, it's beautiful...say, Hugo, did you really mean what you said the other day?

Hugo: What?

Lightning: About my family seeming perfectly normal?

Hugo: Of course.

Lightning: Well...I've been thinking...would you like to live with us?
 

 Hugo: Really? Your parents are cool with that?

Rain: Yeah...well, my dad's still a bit off with any guy I bring home, but my mom's working on him. Besides, it has to happen eventually, right? Someone's got to take over the house.
 

 Looks like it's moving day!
 

 Oh, good. You brought a change of clothes with you.

 Hugo: Actually Lightning got these for me as a moving gift.
 

 I guess the gift went over well.

Lightning: Wow...if I'd known you'd like it that much I'd have gotten you another sweater...
 

 Lightning: So do you really like him?

Rain: Of course! I think he's perfect for you!

Lightning: What about Dad?

Rain: Oh, your father will come around. He's just worried about his little girl growing up. Plus, that thing you had with that DJ back in high school kind of freaked him out.

Lightning: What thing? He came over once and we didn't even do anything.

Rain: I know that and you know that...

Lightning: Say, Mom, I've been meaning to ask you something. I've been thinking about what I want to do...you know, now that I'm out of school. And I kind of think I want to be a writer...like you.

Rain: Really? Have you started anything yet?

Lightning: Yeah, that's what I wanted to ask. Can you give me any tips?
 

 Rain: I think it's great, honey. Just keep it up.

Lightning: Thanks, Mom.

Rain: But I have to ask, why the sudden interest in writing? I can't say I'm not flattered, but it didn't seem to be something you were drawn to before now.

Lightning: Well, I was just thinking...you were always around for me and Thunder when we were growing up. And that was really nice. I want to be around for my kids like that.

Rain: Well, I think that's really nice. But don't let your father hear you talk about having kids. It will give him a heart attack.
 

 Thunder: So, how do you like being the only human in the house?

Hugo: It's fine.

Thunder: Dude, it's ok. You can admit we're not always normal.

Hugo: No, really...I barely notice...

Thunder: You barely noticed I read your mind when you first got here?

Hugo: Well...I just kind of ignored it.

Thunder: Look, I know Lightning has all kinds of issues about being an alien...but you don't have to pretend the weird stuff isn't there. We all know it is. We'll try to keep it to a minimum, though.

Hugo: Thanks. But really, I don't mind the weird stuff. Sure, it's shocking at first, but...after awhile you kind of get used to it.
 

 Hugo: Lightning, you and your family have been so amazing welcoming me here...but now there's something I need to ask you...
 

 Hugo: Will you marry me?
 

 Lightning: Yes! Of course!
 

 Aww...
 

 Jase: So...you two are engaged now?

Hugo: Yes, sir.

Jase: Well...I guess she could have chosen worse. Congratulations.

Hugo: Thank you...I think...
 

What? You're not even married yet and you're developing a drinking problem?

Hugo: Oh, no. I'm practicing.

Practicing?

Hugo: I kind of have a thing for food and drinks. And I thought it would be fun if I served the drinks at the wedding.

Oh, so you're doing the wedding here?

Hugo: Yeah. We didn't want to have a big production at a wedding venue. We're keeping it super casual. 
 

Lightning: Hi, guys! Thanks for coming!

Jessie: Thanks for inviting us!

Nimbus: I can't believe my little niece is getting married... 
 

 Cirrus: So are you sure I'm dressed ok? It doesn't seem like anyone here is dressed for a wedding...

Rain: Oh, it's fine. They actually wanted it to be more casual. Lightning and Hugo are getting a bit more dressed up for the actual ceremony, but for a wedding in the backyard the formal gowns didn't seem right.
 

 Huh, you know the backyard is actually a pretty nice backdrop.
 


 


 


 

Um, Hugo? 

Hugo: Yes, I know. The rash appeared in the middle of the ceremony. It must be an allergy or something.

Lightning: I know what will make you feel better...
 

Hey, slow down you two! The guests haven't even left yet. 
 

 Anyone surprised here? Anyone?
 

 Lightning: Hugo, I've got great news...

Hugo: I hope it's that you like French toast because that's what I'm making for breakfast.

Lightning: No...well, yes, I do, but...we're going to have a baby!

Hugo: A what?

A baby. It's a tiny human...

Hugo: I know what a baby is...it just seems like that happened awfully fast...

You clearly haven't lived around here for very long. 

 

 Wait, you're just now getting a job?

 Hugo: Yeah. I'd been putting it off. But now with a kid on the way I need to get serious about it.
 

 Congratulations, Jase.

Jase: Thanks.

So did anyone fill you in on the big news?

Jase: I...don't want to talk about it.

You know Lightning is grown up now, right? This was going to happen eventually.

Jase: Yeah, I know...I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.
 

 Rain:  These omelettes are delicious, Hugo. Thank you!

Hugo: It was the least I could do. You all have been so welcoming since I moved in. 

 Lightning: I can't believe you have to start as a dishwasher! Your cooking is amazing!

Hugo: Thanks. I guess you have to start at the bottom no matter what. But hopefully I can impress someone.

 

 You feeling ok?

Rain: Yeah, I just get these headaches sometimes.

Must be all the mind reading?

Rain: I haven't even tried in weeks, though! Anyway, those headaches are different.
 

 So you're taking over the garden now?

Hugo: Yeah. I have some days off in the middle of the week and I wanted to help out. Besides, it's great for ingredients. But...

What?

Hugo: There's some plants out here that I've never seen before. Like, that blue and purple thing over there...I have no idea what it is or what to do with the things that grow on it.

Why don't you ask?

Hugo: I just don't want to ask the wrong way. I don't want to accidentally offend anyone.
 

Nice job, Thunder...wait... 
 

Ok, what are you wearing?

Thunder: I know, it seemed weird to me too. But they said all the ace engineers wear it...

I've seen lots of you go through the tech guru career at this point and I have never seen any of you come home wearing that... 

Thunder: Really?

Yeah...

Thunder: Well, maybe they changed the uniform.
 

 Hugo: Hey there, little buddy...I can't wait to see you!

It's any day now, huh?

Lightning: Yeah. I just hope that I don't go into labor while you're at work.
 

 I take it Alderaan hasn't seen your new work outfit?

Thunder: Shh! I'm hoping I can get promoted again and she'll never have to see it.
 

 It's baby time! Let's head to the hospital!
 

Lightning: I can't believe this is really happening...

 Hugo: You'll be fine, sweetheart. Let's go get you checked in.
 

 Huh? You're buying a drink?

Lightning: Well it's not like I have much else to do! We've been here for hours and there's no sign of any doctor. I'm pretty sure I saw the receptionist get up and leave!

That can't be right. I think I saw a nurse outside...
 

 Hugo: The doctor went home? What kind of hospital is this?


Nurse: Oh, see...we have these new regulations now. He's only allowed to work for three hours at a time...at least that's what he told me.

Lightning: Well when is he coming back?

Nurse: I'm not sure. You can try back tomorrow...

Hugo: Tomorrow? You expect my wife to stay in labor that long? We can just have the kid at home, you know...

Lightning: Well wherever we're having this kid we need to get there now!
 

 Well that was weird...

 Lightning: You think? We barely made it back here...I think this is it!
 

It's a boy! Welcome, baby Snow!

 

 And I see he takes after his Mommy.
 

 Rain: can you believe it? We're grandparents!

Jase: I know! I don't even feel that old yet!

Rain: Me either...
 

 Well, unfortunately that's about to change. 
 

 Happy birthday, dear Rain...
 

Hey, wait a second... 
 

 So, how is it that you're an elder before Cirrus and Nimbus?

Rain: Well, we were all born very close together. What's a few days difference?
 

 Lightning: Oh, I think I hear Snow...

Thunder: No, no...stay. I'll get it.

Lightning: Seriously?

Thunder: Yeah. I kind of feel like I'm just taking up space these days.

Lightning: No you're not. You're being smart. You and Alderaan are going to be in such a better place when you move out.

Thunder: I hope so. She's still really nervous about going out on our own.

Lightning: Are you sure it's just Alderaan that's nervous?

Thunder: Well, I guess I'm a bit worried too...how do you always know these things?

Lightning: I'm your twin, silly! 
 

 So, he's just sleeping in the gym?

Rain: For now. Once Thunder moves out with Alderaan we'll probably give him that room. Plus, this way he's close to Lightning when she's working out.
 

 And I guess Hugo was able to impress someone after all. Unfortunately, it's just about time for me to be on my way. I'll see all of you next round!
 

 A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Phew! I was really getting worried about finding a spouse for Lightning! But her and Hugo are actually pretty cute together. Also, I know that Alderaan asking Thunder on a date was probably a glitch, but I kind of liked it. Of course, they had no romantic interactions available, but it was still nice to have them go out to dinner. And about Rain aging up before her brothers-I looked back, and her, Cirrus, and Nimbus were all born in the same week. So, Cirrus and Nimbus are probably going to age up as well once I get to their homes.  And I have absolutely no idea what happened with the hospital-the doctor was on the lot when they arrived, but after Lightning checked in, all the employees just up and left! Poor Lightning hung out there in labor for hours without being able to give birth. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am enjoying your story and have started one of my own if your interested in reading it https://sims4prosperitychallenge.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/round-1-family-2-the-whitestones/

    ReplyDelete