Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Bernard 2: Round 14




Last round, Han, Poe and Leia Bernard all joined their brother Luke in high school. Meanwhile, Jamaica worked overtime at the piano trying to make up for Salmon's lackluster salary from the criminal career. Salmon continued to try and hide his career choice from his children, but with them growing older that proved much more difficult to do.


Hi there, Jamaica.

Jamaica: Hi, mysterious voice...

Still at the piano, I see.

Jamaica: Yeah, what else is new?

Still cranking out those jingles?

Jamaica: I'm on my fifth one of the day right now. 


Hey, Luke. Who are you texting?

Luke: Cindy...

Oh, of course...wait, who's Cindy?

Luke: She's this girl I met at school...


Luke: We're actually going to the park today if you want to meet her.


Hmm...not bad...

Cindy: Huh? What was that?

Luke: Oh, Cindy, this is...the mysterious voice. She...follows us around every now and then.

Cindy: Oh, yeah. I heard some of you guys talking about her.

Wait a minute...you guys talk about me when I'm not around?

Luke: Uh...


Luke: You brought your homework?

Cindy: Yeah...don't you remember we have that huge test tomorrow?

Luke: Oh...right.

Cindy: You haven't studied at all, have you?

Luke: Um...no...things have been kind of crazy at home, you know?

Cindy: Come on...I'll quiz you.


Luke: Thanks for the help, Cindy. I know I'll ace that test now...well, I'll pass it at least.

Cindy: No problem. I think this helped me more than staring at the book would have.


Salmon: So, how you liking high school, sweetie?

Leia: It's fine, Dad.

Salmon: Any boys I have to head down there and punch?

Leia: Dad...

Salmon: Hey, just checking. You are my only daughter, after all.


Wait, who is this now?

Leia: Oh, Lori? She's a new friend I made while you were gone. She's a bit older than we are, but we kind of hit it off.

You know, I don't know if I approve of you all making these friends when I'm away...I'm the neighborhood narrator. I should be consulted on these things. Besides, it's almost midnight. It's it a bit late to be heading out to the bluffs?

Leia: Nah, we'll be home before Dad gets back...

Wait, we?


So it's just you and Han going?

Leia: Yeah. Luke and Poe didn't want to come.


Lori: Hey! I'm so glad you guys could make it! Leia, look...Pine's over there...

Leia: Lori, this is my brother, Han.

Lori: Oh, hey...


Leia: So how'd you sneak out?

Pine: It was easy. Just waited for my mom and dad to go to sleep...you?

Leia: I wish it was that easy...my dad doesn't even leave to go to work until 10...we're supposed to be in bed by then, so I had to go through this whole thing of...

Pine: Wait, your dad leaves for work at 10 at night? What does your father do? Fight crime?

Leia: Ha ha...good one...


What's up? Why aren't you back at the party?

Leia: Mysterious voice...remember how we saw my dad's picture on that website last time you were here?

Yes, I vaguely recall.

Leia: I really don't want to believe it...he's still my dad, you know? He's not a bad guy...I know he's not.

I know that...and I think deep down your mom does too.

Leia: Oh, no...Mom! I completely forgot! Han, come on! We need to get home before Mom wakes up!


Jamaica: Ok, up and at 'em...

Han: Five more minutes...

Jamaica: You could have had five more hours if you didn't spend half the night out partying at who knows where. Now come on, you'll be late for school.

Han: Ugh...

I guess they didn't make it...


Salmon: How are you liking the basketball hoop, son?

Luke: It's great, Dad, but...

Salmon: You know, I was thinking of putting in a pool next...

Luke: A pool? Not that a pool wouldn't be great, but...we can't afford that, Dad.

Salmon: Oh, you've been talking to your mother too much. She worries over every little penny. You'll see, we can make it work...


Jamaica: A what?

Salmon: A pool...I think it would be a great distraction...er, I mean...

Jamaica: Yeah, I know what you mean...Salmon, how much longer do you really think you can keep this up? They're not little kids anymore. They are going to find you out.

Salmon: I'm going to tell them, I swear. Just...not yet. I have to find the right time...

Jamaica: To tell them their father commits crimes for a living?

Salmon: Well, when you put it like that it sounds so harsh...


Hey, it's been awhile since I've seen you with your guitar.

Jamaica: Yeah. The piano's my work instrument...I need to relax right now.

That still the same one your dad made?

Jamaica: Yup, it is...I really wish he were still alive...

So he could come over and punch Salmon?

Jamaica: Ha...well, maybe that's a little strong...besides, I'd rather do that myself right about now. I mean, seriously? I thought this criminal thing was just a phase and if I just let him get it out of his system...

Well, apparently he had a lot of crime to get out.

Jamaica: Tell me about it. And now the kids are almost grown up...I know they know. They have to know...

Maybe you should just tell them...

Jamaica: No, I want it to come from him. He chose this "career", he has to live with the consequences. And one of those is having to explain it to his children.

Well, if he doesn't do it soon he's going to be explaining it to his grandchildren, too.


Oh, hi there Sadness...

Salmon: Hi, there...I'm Leia's dad...good to see her bringing home some friends....

Leia: Dad...

Salmon: Well, you kids have fun. Just try and keep it down. I've got to get a nap in before I head off to the...um...lab.


Leia: So, did you hear? It's back to the lab now. Just in case you're keeping score.

Luke: I feel like we should put a chart or something on the wall...maybe it's like a code or something. Oh, did you hear he wants to put in a pool now?

Leia: Ha! What did Mom say to that?

Luke: I don't know exactly, but I assume it wasn't good...what do you want to put out for snacks?

Snacks?

Leia: Oh, Bahama's coming over later...we have this project for school and we're going to work on it together.


Han: So how was your vacation?

Bahama: Oh, it was great...you guys should come along next time! We could make it a whole family trip!

Han: I can't really picture Mom and Dad out in the woods...they'd probably kill each other before we got home...


Leia: Poe, it's not that hard, really...

Poe: Easy for you to say. You've always been the smart one...you should just do it.

Leia: I'm not doing your homework for you!


Hey, nice job. I guess all those jingles paid off.

Jamaica: Yeah, finally...


Oh hey, Cindy's back...

Cindy: You nervous about graduation?

Luke: Nah, not really. What about you?

Cindy: A bit, I suppose...going out on your own can be a bit scary.

Luke: Eh, you'll be fine. Me, on the other hand...

Cindy: What do you mean?

Luke: I mean, I'm not good at anything yet, you know? Like, there are kids at school who've already learned to cook or write...even my sister, you should see her paintings now. They're great.

Cindy: You'll have plenty of time for that, Luke. Besides, I'm not that great at anything either.

Luke: You're great at one thing...

Charley: What?

Luke: Making me feel better.

Charley: Ha! And you're great a cheesy lines...


Jamaica: Are you trying to play my guitar?

Leia: Um...yeah...do you mind? I just thought...

Jamaica: No, no, it's fine. I'm glad at least one of you kids has shown interest in it. But...can I give you some pointers?

Leia: Yes, please...I found an old instruction book but it hasn't been very helpful.


Poe: You ever think about like, who invented numbers? Like, there must have been one guy who just one day, was trying to brag to some other guy about how many chickens or something he had and...

Leia: Poe, will you shut up and do your homework?


Salmon: Hey...the office looks great! Not sure I'd have chosen this wallpaper, though...

Jamaica: Well, tell you what. When you start bringing home more than 3 paychecks a week, then I'll give you some input.

Salmon: Wait...I'm confused. Do you hate my job this week because of what it is or how much I make?

Jamaica: I'm not a fan of either...


Salmon: Come on...what are you so afraid of? Really? The big, bad detective is going to come along and get me?

Jamaica: Salmon, stop it! Honestly, you're more of a child than the kids are now! 


Man, cousins are just dropping by all over the place this week. Hey, Alderaan.

Han: Dad, I don't think this is going to work.

Salmon: Yes it will...just hold still, guys...

Luke: And where'd you get that camera, anyway?

Salmon: I um...I found it. At work...near the dumpster. Someone threw it out.

Leia: Seriously? That looks pretty expensive, Dad...someone really just threw it out?

Salmon: Yes, that's what happened...now hold still! I still haven't learned how to use this thing and I didn't have time to ste...I mean, I didn't find the instructions with it. By the dumpster.


Wow. looks like Luke and Cindy have really been hitting it off!


Luke: Gotcha! I win!

Cindy: Whew! I never new that this game could be so exhausting...

Luke: Wanna grab a table? Maybe order some drinks?

Cindy: Sure.


Cindy: Isn't this place great?

Luke: Yeah, I think I'm going to have my birthday party here.

Cindy: Oh, right. It's coming up soon, isn't it?

Luke: Yeah, it is. I hope you can come...

Cindy: Of course...I can't wait to meet the rest of your family.

Luke: Trust me...yes you can.

Cindy: Oh, come on. They can't be that bad...


Cindy: You know, my birthday's not too far off from yours....maybe we can celebrate them together?

Luke: Hey, yeah...that way we'll both leave school at the same time!

Cindy: Ok, sounds like a plan...I really should get going now, though. That essay for history class, remember? Thanks for hanging out tonight...

Luke: Wait...Cindy...before you go...


Cindy: Wow...that's quite a goodbye!

Looks like these two are officially an item!


How's the painting going?

Leia: Fine, I guess. They're not bringing in very much money, though.

Is that something you really have to worry about right now?

Leia: I guess not. I just feel bad for my mom, you know? She spends every moment she's not at work at that piano writing jingles...jingles she doesn't even like! I know that's not why she went into music...so I figured if I can help out, I should, you know?

Well, I'm sure she appreciates the help no matter how small. 


Besides, it looks like there's going to be one less mouth to feed around here pretty soon.


Jamaica: Salmon, are you sure you can handle this?

Salmon: Sure, it's just a birthday party! What's there to handle?

Jamaica: Salmon, listen to me. We have a million things to do-we have to get the food ready, bake the cakes, get everything down to the arcade...

Salmon: Wait...arcade? What arcade?

Jamaica: The one where we're having the party-it just opened across town?

Salmon: What...why...why can't we just have the party here? We had his last birthday here...

Jamaica: His last birthday was a cake on the kitchen table. I want to do something nicer for this one. What do you have against the arcade, anyway?

Salmon: Nothing, nothing...so, um...food and cakes. Got it. Anything else?

Jamaica: Yes. I can't take the night off, so you're going to have to be on photo duty. Try and get at least one nice one of all the kids together, ok?

Salmon: Yeah...ok...

Jamaica: Are you absolutely sure you can handle this?

Salmon: For the last time, yes...


Salmon: Ow! Stupid knife...why can't the stupid arcade make the food?

You really want to eat food prepared by an arcade?

Salmon: I guess not. I just really want this to go well...this is my chance to prove to Jamaica that I'm not just some irresponsible loser.

Say, um...question. What do you have against the arcade?

Salmon: Well, let's just say that I don't really like being seen in public these days. I have...a lot of enemies.

You mean being a criminal doesn't make you a ton of friends? Shocker.

Salmon: Very funny. But seriously, if the wrong person sees me...it could get ugly quick.

Isn't the point of most crimes to not have people see you?

Salmon: Well, yes, but...there have been some mistakes made recently. I'll just leave it at that.


Better chop a little faster, Salmon. It's time to go!


Luke: Thanks for coming...

Cindy: Hey, it's my party too, remember? I just wish you'd told me you needed to bring the food-I'm not the best chef but I could have brought something...

Luke: Oh, that's ok. My dad actually kind of likes to cook...I think. Anyway, I'm pretty sure he cheated and ordered the pizzas on the way here.



Poe: Hey...have you guys seen Dad?

Han: No, why?

Poe: Well, it's getting pretty late...we've got to do the cake pretty soon. And nobody knows where he had the arcade put them.

Leia: I haven't seen him since we got here...he took one picture of us all when we first walked in and then he disappeared.

Han: Is that really a bad thing?

Poe: If we can't find the cake it is.


What's wrong?

Luke: I'm trying to figure out where my Dad ran off to...this is so typical!

Did you at least find the cakes?

Luke: Yeah, they were in the kitchen...one of the bartenders found them. 



Well at least we can actually make this a birthday party, then. Happy birthday, dear Luke...


Huh, that one's coming up a lot recently.


Happy birthday, dear Cindy...


And I guess we'll have to wait to find out her last trait.


Luke: Cindy...I know this may be incredibly fast, but...


Luke: Will you marry me?


Cindy: Yes! Of course!


Hopefully Salmon won't go into hiding at the wedding...


Speaking of...

Karl: Hey, don't I know you?

Salmon: Um...no, I don't think so...

Karl: Because you look an awful lot like the guy who keeps trying to steal my garden statues at night...

Salmon: I...I have no idea what you're talking about. You must have me confused for someone else...


Han: What was that about?

Salmon: Oh, nothing. Nothing. Say, we should better get home. I'm sure your mom will want to hear all about this party...


Luke: Dad, where were you last night?

Salmon: What do you mean? I was there the whole time...

Luke: Were you? Because we couldn't find you...

Salmon: I was in the bathroom.

Luke: The entire night?

Salmon: Yeah...that bar food, you know?

Luke: But we brought our own food...

Salmon: I didn't want to be taking the snacks away from you kids...besides, I did what your mom asked. I brought the food, I made the cakes, and I took a nice picture of all of you. Even got Alderaan in on it.

Luke: But who was that guy yelling at you before we left? He seemed pretty angry, Dad...

Salmon: No, no. He wasn't yelling at me...he was...quoting a movie he saw. Yeah, we were talking about our favorite movie scenes, and his was this one where a guy confronts...

Luke: Whatever. This is pointless-I don't know why I even bother asking you things anymore!

Salmon: Luke, wait!


Um...angry sit-ups?

Luke: This is what I do when I need to calm down, ok?

Ok...

Luke: I just wish someone in this family would actually tell me the truth for once!

It seems like you've got it figured out for yourself...

 Luke: But I want to hear him say it. And not just to me...to all of us. I just can't stand being lied to...

What?

Luke: I've got to call Cindy...


Cindy: So, I was thinking we could have the wedding at this new park...I was walking by the other day and it's absolutely beautiful. It's closer than the one in the city, too...Luke, what's wrong?

Luke: Cindy, before we get married...there's something I need you to know...

Cindy: Ok, what is it?

Luke: You know how my dad...how his job is kind of a mystery?

Cindy: Yeah...

Luke: Well, he's never told us, but I'm pretty sure he's some sort of criminal.

Cindy: A criminal? But who would choose...I mean, he's always seemed so nice. A bit forgetful, perhaps, but...he's really never told you?

Luke: He and my mom have both been lying to us about it since we were out of our bassinets. But Cindy, I don't want to hide anything from you...you deserve to know what you're marrying into.



Cindy: Luke, I don't care...

Luke: How can you say that? My dad's...

Cindy: Not you! And he's also not going to be living with us. I can't say it's not a little sad, that someone would choose that way to make a living...but it doesn't change the way I feel about you.

Luke: What did I do to deserve you?


Leia: You like it? I think it's a little short, but...

Bahama: Yeah, I like it...I was actually going to wear the same one...

Leia: Really?

Bahama: Yeah...different color, though. More purple-y...you think I should find a new one? You are the groom's sister...you should get first pick.

Leia: No, I think it'll be ok. Let's just hope Alderaan doesn't show up in it too...we'll look like some sort of bad musical act.


Leia: So, what do you think the chances are?

Han: Of what?

Leia: Of Luke going off on Dad during the wedding.

Han: Oh...is he still angry about the birthday party? I don't think it went that bad...once we found the cakes, that is.

Leia: It's not just that, Han. (sigh) I just wish he would come out and tell us! It's not like we'll love him any less...


Leia: Look, I know you're angry...but he's still our dad. And he hasn't really been that awful of a dad, all things considered...

Luke: Aside from the lying...

Leia: But he also let us eat cake for dinner, and took us to festivals...Luke, he may have done it in his own weird way, but he did try...

Luke: Did he? Leia, he let us eat cake for dinner because he was too lazy to cook a real meal. He took us to that festival so he could practice tricking people. You're being naive. Face it-he's not who we thought he was.

Leia: Maybe he was just waiting for the right time to tell us...I'm sure there's more to the story that we don't know.

Luke: The right time? Leia, I'm getting married tomorrow. Unless he plans to tell me he's a criminal on my wedding day his time is pretty much up.


Salmon: Aww, don't we look nice all dressed up...ok, let me just grab the camera and we'll be good to go...

Poe: (sigh) Do we have to do this? It's not like we're not going to be taking pictures there...

Jamaica: This is the last time we'll all be living here at the house. I want one nice picture of all of us...

Luke: Well, technically it's not all of us...

Salmon: Yeah, sorry...I couldn't find a timer on this thing...


Salmon: You look beautiful, sweetheart.

Jamaica: Thank you. You clean up nice yourself.

Salmon: Ready to go?

Jamaica: I guess so...


All right...let's head out.


Salmon: Thanks for coming, guys!

Marlin: Of course! It's been so long since we were all together...you know, we missed you at Jessie's wedding.

Salmon: Yeah, sorry about that. I had a work thing...couldn't get out of it.

Marlin: Yeah, I know about those night shifts...say, how's it going at the...observatory, was it?

Salmon: Yeah, um...it's going fine...


Salmon: See, honey? I told you we could fit everybody...alright, you got it, Luke? It's the button on the top...

Luke: Yeah, yeah, I got it...you know, I kind of have to go get married pretty soon...you guys should be the ones taking pictures of us...


Don't worry, Luke. I'm on it.











Salmon: Ok, kids...hold still...

Corellia: Why?

Salmon: Because I promised your mom and dad I'd get at least one good shot of the two of you in your nice outfits before you mess them up!


Trout: Look at us...together again, huh?

Mackerel: Where's Marlin?

Salmon: Eh, probably asking the bartender for tips. We should try and get a picture together before we all leave, though. Who knows when this is going to happen again...

Probably about a week from now when Alderaan gets married...you guys seem to have wedding fever this round. 


Luke: So, you ready to be the oldest brother?

Han: Yeah, I guess...hey, can you believe Dad, though? He's acting so...normal.

Luke: Yeah...acting...how can he do it, dude?

Han: How can he do what?

Luke: How can he be up there drinking with his brothers pretending he's not a criminal? That he doesn't steal things for a living? Or worse?


Han: Dude, are you seriously going to do this at your wedding?

Luke: What? No, not here. But I am going to do something about it.

Han: But what can you do? If he won't even admit...

Luke: Then I'll have to catch him in the act.

Han: What are you going to do? Follow him to work?

Luke: No. But the police station is accepting applicants...

Han: I thought you wanted to be a bartender...

Luke: I can always do that as a hobby. But as soon as Cindy and I are all settled, I'm going to be signing up as...whatever an entry-level cop is. If he's not going to tell me as his son, he'll have to tell me as a cop.

Han: I...don't think Mom's going to like that plan very much, Luke.

Luke: Who cares? It's not like she's been honest with us either. Why should I be honest with her? Besides, I'm moving out-she doesn't have to know what my job is.


Jamaica: Leia, where's your father? He hasn't caused a scene yet, has he?

Leia: No, he's actually been pretty chill. I think his side of the family's trying to get a picture...

Salmon: Jamaica! Honey, can you come work the camera?

Jamaica: Oh...yeah, of course. Be right there!


Mackerel: Hey, why'd you change?

Tetra: Ugh, that dress was so uncomfortable. Besides, we're in a garden. Who wears a floor length gown in a garden?


Ok, one more gratuitous cousin shot...I'm glad to see Alderaan did in fact choose a different outfit.



Jamaica: I think we may have actually pulled this off!

Han: Yeah, it went pretty well.

Leia: Now you only have to do it three more times...

Jamaica: Don't remind me...


Jamaica: Now remember, dear...if you have any trouble, just call your Uncle Marlin. He can give you all the advice you need...

Luke: Advice?

Jamaica: About the mixology business...

Luke: Oh, right. Say, Mom...

Jamaica: I'm going to miss you so much! I can't believe my first baby is all grown up...what were you going to say?

Luke: (sigh) I'm going to miss you too, Mom.

Well, on that bittersweet note, it's time for me to be moving on. I'll see all of you next round...or perhaps at another family wedding. 



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Another lot, another wedding. I hadn't realized just how big the Bernard and Hannon families had gotten until I tried to get them together on one lot for a wedding. And yes, most likely Luke will be Tranquility Creek's first detective-I know he has the mixology aspiration, but I looked into the higher levels and he doesn't actually have to get to level 10 of the career-just high enough to choose the branch. So there's not really a need for him to start in that career right away. He can max the skill at home if he has to. (Plus, I'm a little sick of the mixology career, to be honest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment