Friday, March 17, 2017

Kauker 1: Round 14




Last round was...eventful for the Kauker family. With their youngest child, Universe, about to enter high school, Cirrus and Arielle were looking forward to their nest beginning to empty out. However, that soon changed when Cirrus saw some strange lights outside...and came back from his resulting adventure with a surprise addition to the family, another son named Asteroid. Meanwhile, their oldest  son Galaxy became a young adult and got engaged to his girlfriend Leanna. 


Galaxy: Well, I guess that's everything...

Universe: I can't believe you're really leaving!

Galaxy: I know. But we'll just be across town.

Universe: It still won't be the same...

Galaxy: I promise, I'll come visit. Now you be sure and keep Asteroid safe from that monster, huh?

Universe: Hah...right...


Oops...sorry, Cirrus.

Cirrus: It's ok. We've all got Galaxy moving out on our minds.

At least Asteroid has his own room now.

Cirrus: Yeah, we just finished redecorating. 


Who are you texting?

Universe: Poe Bernard...he wanted to go to the flea market this afternoon.

Are you going?


Universe: Ugh...no. Because I have to stay and watch him...

Can't Planet...

Universe: Mom says she trusts me more...I don't see why. I mean, how hard is it to take care of a baby?



Planet: Um...Universe? Can you come help?

Universe: What?

Planet: It's been hours and he won't stop crying! What do I do?

Universe: Did you feed him? 

Planet: ...Oh!

You know, Arielle might have a point.


So how are you feeling, Cirrus?

Cirrus: Much better. And look, I think this diet is finally starting to work...what's wrong, honey?

Arielle: Cirrus, do you think...we'll be around long enough to see Asteroid grow up?

Cirrus: What? Of course we will. We're not that old yet, Arielle.

Arielle: Well, I was just thinking ahead...by the time he's walking and talking we probably will be. And by the time he finishes elementary school...

Cirrus: Hey, hey...it'll be ok, alright. Besides, all this healthy eating we're doing has to be good for something besides our looks, right?

Arielle: I guess. I would just feel better if I knew he was going to be taken care of...if we did go before he's ready. 


How's the little guy doing?

Cirrus: Oh, he's doing great.

You know...Arielle does have a point.

Cirrus: Not you too. Why is everybody around here being so morbid?

Well, it's something you should think about. Arielle's right, you're not getting any younger.

Cirrus: (sigh) I know...I mean, did you see us all at Forest's wedding? I couldn't believe how old we all looked. I guess I've just been avoiding the subject...I hate to think about us not being here for him, you know?

Yeah, I know. But you better start making a backup plan.


Oh, hi there Pine.

Pine: Hey, what's up?

What are you two up to?

Planet: Eh, not much. Pine just came over to hang out for a few hours.


Still keeping up with that workout regimen?

Cirrus: Just because we're talking about plan B doesn't mean I'm not still working on plan A. I still want to be around as long as possible...and if running on this thing for an hour every day will make that happen, then so be it.


Well, it looks like you've made it through one stage already...Happy birthday, dear Asteroid...


Ugh...well, let's hope he's easier than Haiti was.





Universe: Hey, what are you doing in my room?

Asteroid: I don't know...

Universe: Well...get out!

Asteroid: No! Hungry!

Universe: Ugh...fine....


Universe: Now sit and eat your yogurt...

Asteroid: Yogurt yucky! Want cookies!

Universe: I don't know how to make cookies. Can you please just eat the yogurt?

Asteroid: No! Yucky! 

Universe: (sigh) How long until Dad gets home?


Not long, apparently. And congratulations!

Cirrus: Thanks.


Cirrus: Ok, buddy, let's get you to bed...

Asteroid: Story!

Cirrus: All right, one story...

Asteroid: Two stories!


Universe: Hello? Oh, hey Leia. Yeah, I can talk now. He's finally in bed. Of course as soon as my Dad got home he was this perfect angel...I still can't believe they had another kid, you know? I mean, I know it wasn't exactly planned, but still...Huh...you know, I never thought of that...I guess I can now, huh? Let him stay here with Mom and Dad...


I can't help but notice he's not in bed yet.

Cirrus: Well, after the stories, he wanted a glass of water. So, we came in here. Then he wanted to do flash cards...

Isn't he getting tired?

Cirrus: Oh, he's very tired...I'm sure this will be the last round and then it's off to sleep. Right, buddy?

Asteroid: No! Play with blocks!

Cirrus: (sigh) Ok, five minutes with the blocks...


Arielle: Honey, can I talk to you for a minute?

Universe: Um...sure, I guess.

Arielle: I just wanted to...apologize, I guess is the right word.

Universe: For what?

Arielle: Well, for this whole...Asteroid thing. I know you weren't expecting to have a little brother. None of us were expecting it, you know. 

Universe: Yeah, I know. It's not like Dad could really...choose for that to happen.

Arielle: Right.

Universe: Plus, it's not all bad. Now that he's the youngest, I get to move out on my own when I graduate, right?

Arielle: Well, dear...that's actually what I wanted to talk to you about. You know, your father and I aren't getting any younger.

Universe: I know. Dad can barely keep up on that treadmill...

Arielle: Yes, well...we were talking, and...I hate to even bring this up with you but there is a very real possibility we won't be around as long as Asteroid needs us.

Universe: What are you talking about? You guys...

Arielle: I don't like thinking about it either, but it's the truth. Dear, we'd like you to stay and inherit the house after graduation, instead of Asteroid.

Universe: What? But he's...

Arielle: I know it's bucking tradition, but your father and I would rest a lot easier knowing that if anything happened he would be taken care of...

Universe: You mean you want to keep me around as your live-in babysitter, don't you? Well, forget it! I'm not sticking around to raise your kid...

Arielle: That's not it at all...

Universe: I've got to get to school...


And I can see it's a day of happiness all around, isn't it?

Asteroid: Mommy! Play!

Arielle: In a minute, honey...

Asteroid: No! Play now!


Did you ever think you may be spoiling him?

Arielle: Oh, I wouldn't say that. He just needs a lot of attention. The news report on this whole toddler thing warned us about that.


Arielle: ...The end. Ok, now Mommy has to go do some work...

Asteroid: No! Dance with me!

Arielle: Oh, ok...



Well at least dancing might wear him out.

Arielle: If it doesn't wear me out first! And I've still got to get ready for the party later.

Party?



Ahh, one more about to leave the nest.






Planet: Hi, guys! Thanks for coming!

Where are we?

Planet: It's this new...well, the city calls it a nightclub but it's also kind of like an arcade...there's a room you can rent out on the side for parties like this and they have games and stuff all over.


Pine: Hey, Universe! You look great!

Universe: Thanks. Um...you look...

Emerald: He looks like he got dressed in the dark!

Pine: Hey! I like this outfit, ok?


Oh, hey there Jessie. Glad to see you made it.

Jessie: Of course...why would I miss my boyfriend's birthday?


And we even brought Asteroid...although I think this might have been a bit too much for him.


Emerald: Do you like having a little brother?

Universe: Honestly, not really. Why?

Emerald: I'm the youngest...I don't have any little brothers or sisters. I just wondered what it was like.

Universe: Well, it's pretty neat being the youngest too. I was the youngest for a long time before Asteroid came.

Emerald: Not really. Everybody keeps leaving! Soon I'm going to be all alone.

Universe: But...don't you want more space? Don't your brothers annoy you?

Emerald: Yeah, kind of. But it's still really sad when they move away. Do you think Asteroid will be sad too?

Universe: I don't know...maybe...hey, want to go check out that cool block game with me?

Emerald: Yeah!



Asteroid: Again! Again!

Planet: In a minute, little guy...just one thing I have to do...

Asteroid: No! Again!

Planet: If you let me, you'll get cake...

Asteroid: Ok...


Happy birthday, dear Planet...




Cirrus: Come on, buddy. It's getting late. Time to go home.

Asteroid: No! Wanna stay!

Cirrus: You can't stay here by yourself, buddy. I guess you had fun at your first party, huh?


So, any plans now that you're out of school?

Planet: Oh, yeah. I've already got a job lined up.


Huh...no surprise there considering your aspiration.


Arielle: Listen, Universe...can we talk? I think things got a little out of hand the other day.

Universe: There's nothing to talk about. You and Dad want me to stay here and raise Asteroid, and I want to go out on my own. And I hate to tell you this, but it's my life...

Arielle: That's not it at all. We don't want you to stay and raise Asteroid. Hopefully, your father and I will be around until he's in high school, at least. But dear, if we're not...he'll need someone else here. And who better than his big sister? Come on, he loves you...

Asteroid: That painting ugly!

Universe: Oh, yeah...I'm just feeling the love...


I think I'll hang out here for awhile. Hey, Jessie.

Jessie: Hi.

Dropped by to fill Planet in on the school gossip?

Jessie: Well, not exactly. I'm kind of over school at this point.

Well, don't worry. You're not that far behind Planet. You'll be graduated soon enough.


Universe: Oh, hey Luke!

Luke: Hey. You're Leia and Poe's friend, right? I think I've seen you around school...how's your brother?

Universe: Why does everybody always want to know about him? How do you even know about...

Luke: Alien babies don't happen every day. Word travels fast. So now that you're not the youngest anymore, what are your plans for after graduation?

Universe: Well, I want to move out on my own...but my mom wants me to stay here.

Luke: Really? Is she just that afraid to have an empty nest? My mom can't wait...

Universe: No, it's not that. I guess since she and my Dad had Asteroid so late, she's worried they...won't be around long enough to take care of him.

Luke: Whoa...heavy. So, you're staying then?

Universe: What? And raise their kid?

Luke: Well...what other option is there? You'd leave your little brother like that?

Universe: Luke, they're worried for nothing. They're not even that old...

Luke: But what if they're not? Besides, staying at home isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm super worried about being able to make ends meet when I move out-you won't have to worry.

Universe: I guess...say...have you by any chance...asked your brother about any of this stuff?

Luke: Which one? Poe? Well, you know...we're all pretty used to a crowded house. I think it'd be weird for him to move out with just him and a wife...well, I'd better get going. I'll tell Poe and Leia you said hi. See ya!

Universe: Yeah, see you around...


You know, for a fussy toddler he's pretty affectionate.

Arielle: I know. I just...

What?

Arielle: I can't stand to think about not getting to see him grow up!

Is that why you guys dote on him so much?

Arielle: You know, I've never really thought about it before, but you're probably right. I just want him to have good memories of us.



Arielle: Universe, listen. I really don't want you to think we're pawning Asteroid off on you. You're right, it's your life and you deserve to live it the way you choose.

Universe: Mom, I...

Arielle: So tell you what. I'll take the night off work and keep Asteroid occupied upstairs. You can invite over that nice boy from down the street...what was it, Poe? You can have the whole living room to yourselves.

Universe: Really?

Arielle: Really.



Planet: Hah! That's a great one!

Jessie: I'll have to get that one printed out-we can put it in our new place when we move! Any luck finding us somewhere?

Planet: Mostly just empty land so far...but don't worry, I'll find us somewhere. 


Universe: I'm so glad you could finally come over...

Poe: Yeah, me too. This place is nice!

Universe: Really?

Poe: Way nicer than my house....I wish I lived here.


Universe: So...graduation's pretty soon, isn't it?

Poe: Yup! I can't wait!

Universe: Have you thought about...after?

Poe: Not really. Gonna be weird moving out, though. What about you?

Universe: Well, I think I'm going to end up staying here...so, I guess whoever I end up with has to be ok with that...

Poe: Yeah...well, whoever that is will be a lucky guy...

Universe: You...really don't see where I'm going with this, do you?


Hopefully this will clear things up.


Universe: So, Dad...I've been thinking...you know, maybe sticking around for awhile after I graduate won't be that bad

Cirrus: Really?


Cirrus: Oh, honey, you have no idea what a relief that is.

Universe: But if he graduates and you're still here, I'm out. Deal?

Cirrus: Deal.


And it looks like we've got one more birthday before we go.


You don't want a party?

Arielle: Nah. Why celebrate getting old? Besides, it's almost 8:30. Our friends are all in bed already.


Happy birthday, dear Arielle...





Arielle: Ow! My back!



Cirrus: You're still the most beautiful woman in the world...

Arielle: Thank you...you're not that far behind me, you know.

Cirrus: I know. Before long we'll both be old and grey together.

Yes, but unfortunately that will have to wait until next round. It's time for me to be moving on. See you all in round 15!



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: I have a feeling that this house is going to get very, very sad in the upcoming rounds. I did some math, and while Cirrus might be around until Asteroid is a teenager, Arielle probably won't be. I made sure to take a lot of family photos for their walls this week. (And no, I have no idea why Cirrus didn't age up. The aging between houses must have gotten off at some point, because if his twin Nimbus did than theoretically he should have too.) I actually built the place I had Planet's birthday at; I based it on kind of a Dave and Buster's type place after realizing I had no good venues for parties with multiple age groups. Now onto the Palmer house so Jessie can catch up with her boyfriend.





No comments:

Post a Comment