Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Flenderson 1: Round 14


Last round, Misty and Aldo were still trying to adjust to having a toddler in the family. Aldo, as well as Misty's parents Sabrina and Confusion didn't see anything particularly negative and were actually impressed with Erica's growth. Misty, though, remained convinced that something was very wrong with her daughter. Becoming pregnant for the second time didn't help. Determined to figure out what was going on, Misty threw herself into her new political career. By the end of the week, Erica had grown to school age and appeared to have suffered no ill effects, while her baby sister Lorelei had yet to enter toddlerhood herself.



Hi, Sabrina

Sabrina: Oh, hello there.

How's the baby doing?

Sabrina: Wonderful! She's really grown since the last time you were here, don't you think?

Um...if you say so. How about the rest of you?

Sabrina: Well, to tell the truth, I haven't been feeling quite like myself lately.


You know, you may feel better if you'd spend less time in the graveyard.

Sabrina: Confusion says the same thing. It's just been on my mind a lot lately, that's all.

So I guess you heard about Joy...

Sabrina: Yes, Disgust called with the news. It just never gets easier, does it? Losing people?

I suppose not. Is there anything I can do?

Sabrina: Could you do me a favor and go check on the girls? I want to make sure I didn't wake them when I snuck out here.


Erica: Huh? What was that?

Oh, sorry...just me...

Erica: No, not you...


Erica: Monster!

Man, this monster's not wasting any time around here, is he?


You're talking to it?

Erica: Yeah. I saw this movie on TV about this monster that everybody thought was the bad guy, but he really just needed a friend.

And?

Erica: This isn't that monster!


Well, luckily you'll have a second person on monster patrol pretty soon.


Happy birthday dear Lorelei...





Sabrina: (sigh) So I guess this toddler thing is really permanent, huh?

Well, yes. I would have thought you guys figured that out already.

Sabrina: I suppose I had, once so many other families started having them too. But somehow I thought this might only be temporary. Misty seems so convinced that it can be reversed...I just hate to see her working so hard for something that can't happen.


She really is adorable, though.

Sabrina: Oh, of course she is!


Erica: Lorelei! Get out of my art room!

Your art room?

Erica: Yeah. Grandma and Grandpa helped set it up. It used to be Mom's room when she was little...then it was where the old workbench was. But now it's my art room.


Confusion: So, you all ready for your first day of school tomorrow?

Erica: I think so. What's school like?

Confusion: Oh, it's lots of fun. And you're going to learn so much!

Erica: Really? Like what?

Confusion: Well, like all your letters and numbers, and how to read...

Erica: But I can already read! And I knew my letters and numbers a long time ago!

Confusion: Huh, I guess so. (laughs) I guess I should be asking if the school is ready for you!

So, since Erica seems more than ready, what else is on the agenda for today?

Erica: I'm going on a trip out with Mom...

Wait, let me guess...


Uh-huh...


Erica: Hi, Hope! It's Erica! Do you want to come to the flea market with me and my mom? Thistle's coming too. I don't know, we'll probably just play on the playground. My mom has to talk to people...because that's her job. 


Hey, it's the librarian guy!

Misty: Excuse me, sir? May I have a moment of your time? My name is Misty, and I represent a group of concerned citizens trying to protect our town's children. We're going to be asking the city council to allocate funding to research the current developmental crisis in our city...can we count on your vote if it comes to a public referendum?

Librarian: Um...forgive me, but what crisis are you referring to?

Misty: Surely you've noticed that our children are taking much longer to get to school-age than they used to.

Librarian: Well, certainly. I run the children's library. We just opened up our toddler room a few weeks ago-it's been a big hit with the community.

Misty: But don't you see? We have no idea how this is going to impact them! Who knows if they'll be able to keep up in school? Or what about socialization? Or...


Librarian: Pardon me, but isn't that your daughter over there?

Misty: Yes...

Librarian: Well, she certainly doesn't appear to have any noticeable differences from her friends. If anything, I'd say her coordination seems to be a bit better than expected.

Misty: Yes, well, she still hasn't started school. Who knows what kind of trouble she'll have there! And besides, all three of them were impacted by this, you know. Of course they'll look normal next to each other!


Misty: So you see, if we can just convince the council to...

Jamaica: Misty, I just don't see why we need to spend money on this. According to the news everything seems to be working out just fine.

Misty: Of course that's what the big news channels say! But I'm telling you, something else is going on here! I mean, none of your kids went through this toddler thing!

Jamaica: True. But Aruba's younger two did, and they don't seem any worse off...


Misty: So, you'll vote yes if there's a referendum?

Ramin: Of course! It's time someone did something about those darn kids! There's too many of them around nowadays!

Misty: That's...not what we've been talking about at all...

Well, this seems to be going swimmingly. I think I'll pop back home and check on everybody else.


So, is it any easier the second time around?

Aldo: Oh, yeah. Now that we know what we're doing.


Lorelei: Higher, Daddy!

Aldo: That's about as high as Daddy can go, honey...


Oh, no...





I should have seen this coming.


Goodbye, Confusion...


Misty: Oh no...

Erica: Mom? Is Grandpa OK?

Aldo: No, honey...I'm afraid not...


Erica: It's ok, Lori...

Aww...


Um...is someone else dying that I don't know about?

Grimmy: No, I just really like this movie.

Well, I suppose the cable reception in the Netherworld isn't the best...


Lorelei: Grandma? Grandpa really gone?

Sabrina: I'm afraid so, honey. But he's with his Mommy and Daddy...and mine...and my best friend...

Um, Sabrina? Bedtime story?

Sabrina: Right, right...


Sabrina: Mom? But...how...

Michelle: Oh, Sabrina...do you remember when you were little and you would tell us about talking to your grandmother after she passed away?

Sabrina: You mean...I didn't imagine it?

Michelle: No, dear. You didn't.

Sabrina: So...have you been here all this time?

Michelle: In a way, yes. I didn't want to frighten you.

Sabrina: Mom...how could you and Dad leave me like that? I still needed you! I was just a kid!

Michelle: Oh, Sabrina...you have to know that your father and I didn't want to leave you. It was just our time, sweetheart. But dear, you have made us so proud of you. 

Sabrina: I still really miss you...all of you...

Michelle: I know, dear. But we'll be together again soon. I promise.


Hey, that's actually sounding pretty good!

Erica: Thanks! Violin is pretty easy! Piano is too.

Huh, I guess all that pretend play as a toddler really helped. 

Erica: You want to tell my mom that? I swear, she keeps looking at me like I can barely walk!


Misty: Alright, Misty...you've got this...

What are you doing?

Misty: I'm practicing my speech for later today.

Speech?

Misty: I'm giving a speech downtown about why we need to research this whole toddler thing.

What about Lorelei?

Misty: Oh, I'm bringing her along.


Misty: Lorelei here is my second daughter, and she too has been hit by this mysterious condition. Luckily, her older sister was able to eventually start school, but it remains to be seen what long term impacts this will have. Without further research, we'll have no hope of ensuring our children return to normal development...

You're using your daughter as a visual aid?


Aldo: Hey there, how was you trip into the city with Mommy?

Lorelei: Mommy talk!

Aldo: Mommy talked to people?

Lorelei: No! No people!

Misty: (sigh) She's right. Nobody showed up to listen to my speech.

Aldo: Well, you were giving it outside of a gym. It's not exactly where people typically go to hear a speech about children.

Misty: No, Aldo. People just aren't getting the message! Everybody keeps acting like this is perfectly normal, or it's something we should just accept! But I refuse to believe that something this big could have just happened out of nowhere! Someone is responsible for it, and I'm going to find out who!


Aww, how sweet...although if they were teenagers that would sound a little creepy.


Erica: Hi, Thistle!

Thistle: Hi, Erica.


Thistle: My mom told me about your grandpa. I'm really sorry. My grandpa died too, but it was when I was really little.

Erica: I miss him so much! I feel too sad to do anything-even fun stuff.


Thistle: When I'm sad, I watch a funny movie. Maybe that will help. 


Thistle: How about this one? It's really funny!

Erica: Yeah, I've never seen this one before...


Thistle: If you're still sad, you should talk to your mom.

Erica: I don't know...she's kind of weird.

Thistle: My mom's weird too. All moms are weird.

Erica: No...not like that. She just only likes to talk about certain things. And besides, I don't think I can tell her I'm sad. She already thinks I'm broken.

Thistle: What do you mean?

Erica: She thinks your broken too. I guess a long time ago you used to go to school right after you were a baby. Being little like we were is new. And my mom thinks it's bad.

Thistle: But how can it be bad if it happens to everyone?

Erica: That's what Grandpa used to say. Grandma too. But Mom thinks that somebody changed it on purpose.


Misty: Huh?

Oh, great...


Yup, this is exactly what we needed...


(sigh)





Yup, definitely one of those rounds.


Goodbye, Sabrina...at least she's with her family again.


Ok, I'm sure these guys aren't going to turn down the free help, but...really?


Misty: Oof!

Welcome back...how do you feel?

Misty: A little foggy, but ok...


Listen, I have some bad news...

Misty: I think I know...I missed it, didn't I?


I'm afraid so.

Misty: I can't believe they're both gone!


You ok?

Misty: No! No, I'm not ok! Both my parents just died, I wasn't even here to say goodbye to my mother thanks to some stupid aliens, and nobody is listening to me about this toddler thing!


Well somebody must be listening to you...


Ok, even you have to admit, this isn't all bad.

Misty: Of course it's not all bad! I'm just worried.

But Erica seems fine...if anything, I think she's even doing better...

Misty: For now, sure. But what about when she gets into high school? Or adulthood? I just want to know they'll be ok.


You're reading your homework to your little sister?

Erica: (sigh) No, she keeps having these nightmares and she wants me to stay with her. So I figured I'd do my homework at the same time.

How's the homework going?

Erica: So, so easy. I don't think the school knew that we'd all know our letters and stuff already, so they're teaching them to us all over again.

That sounds kind of boring.

Erica: Yeah, it kind of is. But my grades are really good!


Lorelei: Erica! Me paint!

Erica: No, Lorelei! You'll make a mess and I'll have to clean it up!


Huh?


Oh, that doesn't look good.

Erica: Yeah, it kind of itches, too.

Maybe you should go lie down for awhile.


Well the rash is gone.

Erica: Yeah, I feel a lot better too.

Misty: Hey, if you're feeling better...how about you come with me to work today?

Erica: I thought you were working at home?

Misty: I am...but I'm supposed to go meet people in the city. You can play at the karaoke bar...

Erica: Ok! Cool!


Misty: Excuse me, ma'am? Can I have a moment of your time...I'm Misty, and this is my daughter, Erica...

Erica: Mom!

Here we go again...you might want to re-think your approach, Misty.


Hey, you don't sound half bad at karaoke either.

Erica: Thanks. Our music teacher says so too. Well, not about karaoke. We don't have that at school.



Tetra: I'm sorry, I just don't see this as that big of a deal.

Misty: Our kids start taking twice as long to grow up and that's not a big deal? It's a huge deal!

Tetra: But my three are all fine now! They're all in school, they're doing great. In fact, Betta and Erica sit together.

Misty: But you're not the least bit curious about why this happened?

Tetra: I guess...a little. But not enough to fork over money.

Misty: Not from you! From the city council!

Marlin: We have a city council?

Tetra: Yeah, I didn't know that either.

Neither did I, actually...


Found a new hobby?

Aldo: Well, with Misty's parents out of the picture now I've got to start bringing some money in. But Misty's still convinced that me being a stay at home dad is a vital part of her image.

Well, it beats sending out chain letters on the computer all day.


Hey, I think that's a new record!


Thistle: Look, this one makes our faces look all wiggly!

Erica: Ha! That's so funny...

Well, it looks like the week is just about up. Time for me to be on my way. I'll see all of you next round.



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Man, this round...seeing Sabrina go was actually very emotional-more so than I thought it would be. She's always been such a sad Sim-not as an actual trait, but because she's really been all about abandonment. She spent every free moment out in the graveyard mourning somebody. I'm glad I was able to get the picture of her hugging her mom's ghost. I've been trying to figure out how these ghosts play in since they were patched in, and Sabrina was one of the few Sims I've actually written as being able to see them. At least she was able to get some closure before she died. And having two deaths back to back really didn't make things easier for the other people in the house, either. On a happier note, Erica and Thistle are adorable together! And man, the political career is harder than I thought it would be! Almost nobody Misty talked to "shared her political views", so trying to secure votes was quite the challenge.  



No comments:

Post a Comment