Saturday, March 18, 2017

Palmer 3: Round 14



Last round, Blair and Marlin's younger daughter Riley joined her older sister Jessie in high school. Jessie, meanwhile, continued to develop her relationship with Planet Kauker as well as begin to investigate her family heritage.


Hi, Jessie!

Jessie: Hey, mysterious voice.

What's been going on around here?

Jessie: Oh, you know. Same old, same old.

Your mom still planted at that easel?

Jessie: Why don't you go see for yourself? She's in the art room.


Blair: There! Another one done.

Very nice.

Blair: Huh? Oh, it's you.

How many of those have you done today?

Blair: This is my third one. If I hurry I think I can get another one done before work.

Don't you want to check in with the girls or Marlin? Or, you know...shower?

Blair: Hey, these paintings are the only thing that's keeping us afloat. Marlin barely brings home any money from bartending. Besides, the girls are big now. I'm sure they're fine.


Riley: Did you hear about Leia and Pine?

Jessie: I know. They're adorable together. So are Universe and Poe...

Riley: They made it seem so easy, too.

Jessie: You'll find somebody...you'll see.

Riley: Easy for you to say. You and Planet started dating practically as soon as you blew out your candles.

Jessie: Come on, it wasn't that quick...


Jessie: Oh, hi Mom...I thought you left already.

Blair: No, not for a few more minutes...say, I've been meaning to ask you...how'd your report go?

Jessie: Report?

Blair: You know, the one about our family?

Jessie: Oh, right...um, it went over fine...

Blair: Well, that's good.


Nice going, Blair.

Blair: Thanks, but man, am I beat. I need to unwind...


Blair: Oh, thank goodness you called. I really need to get out.

Um...

Blair: What?

Is a nightclub really the best destination for two women your age?

Blair: What? What are you talking about? We're not that old...

Well, Rain is a grandmother....


Rain: It's so good to see you!

Blair: I know, it's been way too long. How's everything?

Rain: Oh, wonderful. Did you hear? I'm a grandma!

Blair: Yes, I saw the birth announcement. How is...

Rain: Snow. And he's doing great. He's growing so much, he'll be popping out of that bassinet any day now.


Blair: What about...you know...his skin?

Rain: Blue. Like mine. More like mine than Lightning's, actually, but it may lighten as he gets older. How about your two?

Blair: Oh, you know...both in high school. Jessie's got a pretty serious boyfriend...one of our neighbors from across the street...


Eve: Aunt Blair? Aunt Rain? What are you doing here?

Rain: Um...hi Eve...how's my favorite niece?

Blair: We're just out for a fun girls night.

Eve: You guys still do that?

Blair: Of course! What, you think we're too old to have a fun night on the town?

Eve: No...just...this isn't really a place where you see many...people your age. That's all.

Blair: Ha...well, wait until we get inside. Maybe we'll show you kids a thing or two on the dance floor...


Blair: Rain!

Rain: What!

Blair: Is it just me, or is it a little bit too loud in here?

Rain: What?

Blair: Is it too loud in here, or is it just me?

Rain: You have to talk louder-I can't hear a thing!


Buzz: So, what do we do?

Eve: I don't know! I don't want to party with our aunts over there!

Buzz: Well it's not like we can just leave now! They saw us!

Eve: They only saw me...you can still get out of here....


Riley: What's wrong, Mom?

Blair: Do you two think I'm a cool mom?

Jessie: Uh...

Riley: I guess...why?

Blair: Last night Rain and I went to this nightclub...

Riley: Oh my...

Jessie: What?

Riley: Why would you two go to a nightclub?

Blair: Hey, we used to go out all the time back in the day. It's just been awhile. But we ran into your cousins and...I think they were embarrassed to be seen with us there. You two wouldn't be embarrassed, right?

Riley: Um...

Jessie: Hold that thought, Mom...


(Sigh) Sorry, Jessie. I must have missed your message...


Jessie: Yeah, what else is new...


Doing some cleaning?

Jessie: Yup. I don't care if everyone did forget my birthday. I'm having a party anyway.

Atta girl. Who are you inviting?

Jessie: Well, I thought it might be a good time for Mom and Dad to meet Planet's family. I texted Galaxy and Universe, but I'm going over to invite his mom in person.

Ooh, classy.


Jessie: Hi, Mrs. Kauker...

Arielle: Oh, hello dear. I'm afraid Planet's not home...

Jessie: That's ok, I just wanted to stop by and invite you to this party I'm having tonight...

Arielle: Oh, well, I'll have to get a sitter for this little guy...

Jessie: If you can't make it I understand...

Arielle: Oh, no. I'll be there!


A dinner party?

Jessie: Well, "dinner party" is a little formal. It's more like a barbecue. Just for our families to get to know each other.


Jessie: I hope this goes alright...

I'm sure it will.

Jessie: Mom took the afternoon off...

Oh...well, maybe she'll be distracted?


Jessie: Hi there...

Planet: Um...hey.

Jessie: What's wrong?

Planet: Nothing...it's just weird having my family all around us when we're together.


Arielle: So what did you do to celebrate?

Blair: Celebrate what?

Arielle: Jessie's birthday...

Blair: Oh...well, we're kind of substituting this. You know how birthdays are...I'm sure Planet's snuck up on you guys too.

Arielle: Actually...we rented out the party room at the new arcade...you mean you didn't do anything for her birthday?

Blair: I gave her a hug...I think.


Marlin: So, Planet...what do you plan on doing now that you're out of school?

Planet: Um...I'm going to be a writer, sir. I've already completed some books...a lot of them! I haven't published them yet but that's really a good thing because it means we'll have more money coming in...

Marlin: Whoa! Slow down there. Why do you sound so nervous?

Maybe lose the mob boss hat next time, Marlin...


You made cookies?

Jessie: I'm just trying to smooth things over. Between my mom getting defensive with Planet's mom and my dad questioning Planet like he committed a crime, this is the most awkward party every!


At least the younger sisters seem to be having a good time...

Riley: How about him?

Universe: No, he's seeing someone. That really tall girl from gym class. I heard her talking about it in the locker room.

Riley: How am I supposed to find a boyfriend if every guy is taken? Or is my cousin?


Jessie: Well, that was...

Planet: It could have been worse.

Jessie: Yeah, there could have been a fistfight. 

Planet: I should probably...

Jessie: Wait! Do...do you want to stay the night?

Planet: Here? Your parents are cool with that?

Jessie: Yeah...sure they are.


Planet: Hey, I like the room makeover.

Jessie: Thanks. I figured it was time to get rid of the little kid furniture, you know.

Planet: You sure your parents are ok with me staying over?

Jessie: Sure. They're both asleep anyway. If they ask I'll just say you came over for breakfast.


Hey, you two...watch it.

Planet: Aw, come on...

Jessie: Yeah, we're both adults...


Planet: I'm sorry you didn't get to have a real birthday party.

Jessie: It's ok. Going to yours was good enough, I guess.

Planet: I can't believe nobody even said anything...

Jessie: Yeah, well, it's always been like that with Mom. The only time I seem to exist to her is when I'm a disappointment.

Planet: I can't imagine you being a disappointment...come on, let's go to bed. Things will get better in the morning. You'll see.


Planet: Wow, this is amazing, Jessie.

Jessie: Thanks. I figured our first night together called for a special breakfast.

Planet: Yeah, about that...should I go and get changed before your parents get up?

Jessie: What's the rush?

Planet: Won't they get suspicious if I'm in my pajamas?

Jessie: Ok, tell you what. I'll go get dressed first...you keep guard. Then we'll switch. Deal?

Planet: Um...don't you guys have more than one bathroom?


Jessie: Planet, there's something I've been meaning to ask you for a long time...


Jessie: Will you marry me?


Planet: I...um...I mean...yes! Of course...wait...is that why you wanted to get dressed first?

Jessie: Uh huh! I hid the ring under the sink in the bathroom!


Aww...


And now that you're going to have your own house to support it's time you started in a career.

Jessie: Yeah. Hopefully Dad can give me some advice.


Blair: Well...I'd say that was a pretty successful party last night.

Marlin: Hon, you didn't throw the party. Jess did.

Blair: Well, if you want to get technical...I wouldn't have invited the other mother, though. I don't like her.

Marlin: The entire point was for us to meet his parents. And what do you mean you don't like her?

Blair: All this talk about renting out rooms at arcades...who spoils their kids like that? And there she is making me feel like a bad mother for missing one birthday...I threw her a party at her last birthday, didn't I?

Marlin: Well, yes, but you only invited people you knew... 

Blair: I've gotten better since then!

Marlin: Ok, who's Riley's best friend?

Blair: Oh, um...wait, don't tell me. I know this...


Well, while Blair figures that out I'm going to follow Riley over to mystery girl's house.


Riley: Can you believe it? My sister's getting married!

Sadness: Crazy! Do you have your dress picked out yet?

Riley: Yeah. Jessie made us all show her our outfits...I think she was kind of embarrassed about the last time we got dressed up.

Sadness: Hey, maybe you'll meet a cute guy at the wedding!

Riley: Sadness, it's a wedding. Everybody there will be related to me.

Sadness: Oh, right...

Riley: Hang on a minute, that's my phone...


Riley: Sadness? Do you want to go to dinner with Leia?

Sadness: Sure. I could eat. The food here just hasn't been the same since my grandpa died.


Leia: Hey, Sadness. I didn't know you were coming too!

Riley: We were already hanging out together when you called. I'm surprised you're not out with Pine!

Sadness: Yeah, what's up? You two have a fight or something?


Leia: No, no fight. I just needed a girls night, you know. It gets old living with three guys-they're driving me crazy!


Leia: You two are so lucky you both have sisters.

Sadness: Not really...I doubt your brothers steal all your stuff. Riley's the lucky one.

Riley: Me?

Sadness: Yeah. Before long Jessie will be out of the house...

Leia: You should ask your parents if you can knock down the wall and make your rooms into one huge room!

Riley: I don't think my dad will go for that...



Glad to see the waterslide's still getting use.

Jessie: Well, I've got to distract myself from this wedding planning somehow.

How's it going, by the way?

Jessie: Fine. We've got the venue picked out, and our outfits are all set...I just can't wait for the day to get here!


Hey, nice going Blair...


And just in time, too.


Looks like Blair has no problems celebrating getting old...


Blair: Hi, I called earlier about the party...

Host: Yes, I'm afraid we don't have any tables large enough for your entire group, but...

Blair: Oh, that's ok. We'll probably just mill around the bar area...

Host: That's not really...


Riley: Whoa! Aunt Madison, what did you just do?

Madison: Sorry, hon. It slipped...

Jessie: She used her alien powers...

Riley: Oh, right...

Madison: When I'm around my sister it tends to come out more. Sorry, girls.

Riley: Can you teach me to do that?


Marlin: Alright, let's blow out those candles so we can all go home...I mean...

Blair: Oh, shut up...


Happy birthday, dear Blair...





Blair: Ow!


Madison: Hey, Rain, wait up...

Rain: Oh hi Madison...long time no see, huh?

Madison: Yeah, about that...I just wanted to thank you.

Rain: Thank me? For what?

Madison: For...for being such a good friend to my sister. For being the sister I should have been. The two of us never really recovered from our teenage fighting, you know. But you've been there for her through everything...hell, you two look more like twins than we do!

Rain: Well, I'm flattered. But Madison, you are still Blair's sister. And there's still time, you know. You're not dead yet.

Madison: So I hear.

Rain: Come on, Blair's trying to get a picture before we all go home. With all of us and the girls.

Madison: I don't know...

Rain: Come on, those girls need at least one good picture with their aunt...


Madison: I shouldn't have bent down like this...

Rain: Yeah, how come the youngest ones are the ones standing up?

Blair: Marlin, you got it, hon?

Marlin: Yup! Got it! Anyone need help getting up?

Blair: Very funny...


Marlin: I can't believe my girl's getting married...maybe you should try the dress on one more time...

Jessie: Dad...

Marlin: What? I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to check...

Jessie: How about you? Got your suit ready?

Marlin: Yes. I can't believe you won't let me wear my hat...

Jessie: Dad, it makes you look like you're in the mafia...I'm getting married, not organizing a crime ring.


What are you working on now?

Blair: Oh, nothing....just a wedding present for Jessie.

A wedding present?

Blair: Yes...just wait until the wedding. You'll see.


Hey, nice job.

Jessie: Thanks. I've had a lot of time to practice.


You too, Marlin.

Marlin: Thanks...


So, today's the big day?

Jessie: Yup. What do you think?

Well, it's not the most traditional color but it looks good on you.

Jessie: Yeah, I figured it was more important to find something that went with my skin.


Riley: You look so pretty!

Jessie: You too...

Riley: I can't believe by this time tomorrow you'll be all moved out! I'm going to miss you so much!

Jessie: Oh, now come on...don't make me cry already! We haven't even left the house yet!


Looks like we're about to, though! It's wedding time!


Planet: You look amazing...

Jessie: So do you...meet you at the arch!


Jessie: So we're really doing this?

Planet: Yup, we really are...














Rain: It was such a beautiful ceremony...

Blair: Thanks...the fireworks were a nice touch, don't you think?

Rain: Where did the happy couple get off to?

Blair: They're taking pictures with Planet's siblings...


Marlin: Ok, everybody...smile!

Riley: Dad, how many of these are you going to take?

Marlin: Well, we've got to have enough for Jess and Planet to take a few. And this camera has some weird quirks to it...I just want to be safe.


What's wrong?

Blair: It just kind of hit me all at once...my oldest daughter is married, I'm an elder...even Riley's almost out of high school! Where did my life go?

Isn't it a bit late for a mid-life crisis?

Blair: You're not helpful, you know that?


Arielle: So, you're Blair's sister.

Madison: Yes...

Arielle: Her twin sister?

Madison: Yes.

Arielle: Well, forgive me for asking but...you two look nothing alike...

Madison: Oh, no...see...you know what, it's a long story. But we are twins...

Arielle: What did Planet marry into...


Riley: Come on, you two. Come inside for drinks. We even broke out "Don't Wake the Llama"

Planet: Wow, now it's a party.

Jessie: Hey, as long as it doesn't end in an argument, I'm fine with it.


Looks like Jessie's got nothing to worry about...at least with her own family.

Blair: I'm so glad you could come, Madison.

Madison: Me too. Maybe we'll be able to see each other more often in our old age, huh?

Blair: I'd like that.


Blair: Hi, girls. Am I interrupting anything?

Jessie: No, not really...

Blair: I haven't seen you girls play together like this since you were little. Say, Riley, do you think I could have a few moments alone with your sister?

Riley: Um...sure.


Blair: Riley...there's something I want to give you...

Riley: Your paintings?

Blair: These are my best ones. I've been putting them to the side for a special occasion. This seems special enough to me...

Jessie: There must be six of them here...

Blair: You can keep them or sell them. It's up to you. I just...wanted you to get off to a good start. That's all.

Jessie: Thank you, Mom!

Blair: It's the least I could do. I know I haven't always been the most attentive...but Jessie, I love you so much...

Jessie: I love you too, Mom...


Planet: So, what'd your Mom want?

Jessie: She just...gave me some of her paintings, that's all.

Planet: Really? That'll sure help out...

Jessie: Yeah, but...I feel weird about selling them now, you know?

Planet: Well, we don't have to decide right now.

Jessie: I guess not.


Jessie: Thanks for coming, Aunt Madison...

Madison: It was a lovely wedding, dear. Don't be a stranger now, ok?

Jessie: Ok, we won't...


And now that the party's over, looks like it's moving time!


So she's all moved out?

Blair: Yup. I can't believe my first baby's all grown up. My second one's not far from it, either.

Yes, but that will have to wait until next round. It's time for me to be on my way now. Enjoy the extra space, and I'll see you guys in round 15!



A Message From the Mysterious Voice: Wow, this round is wedding-heavy. I guess it balances out all the old age deaths earlier in the round, though. So, interesting thing I learned-having a party at a restaurant does not make all the guests into one "dining group"; when I had Blair request a table only she sat down and ate. Everybody else ordered food from the bar. I do like that you can have the restaurant bring out a cake, though. And I'm having the hardest time finding a spouse for Riley...everybody is either taken or related to her! I might have to peruse the gallery for some new townies pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment